Tribute to cachers no more - Hall of Fame

I am a newbe, but I would be intrested to discover the founders of geocaching in the Uk/ England/ Wales/ Scotland/ N Ireland etc..

I think my first knowlege of geocaching came form Tim and June on the telly with Cris Packhem but I couldn't afford a GPS then. I am so hounerd that they recently left one of their T & J Bears in one of my caches.

So I think Tim & June of Winchester should be in the hall of fame.

Edit: just re-looked and looks like it was 2003 bbc linky: http://www.bbc.co.uk/southampton/features/.../bbccache.shtml

Edited by Hampshire_Hog

I am always grateful to Skate for introducing us to Geocaching and for helping us to set our first cache.

Cachemad was arriving at our first find which we discovered by good luck more than anything else as we didn't have the GPS set up correctly. Keith soon sorted it out as he has with subsequent IT problems!!!!

Since December 2003 we haven’t had to walk aimlessly but with a purpose?

My brother (why-not.me.mike) got me hooked onto this when I visited him 2 yrs ago. We were out for a walk in the New Forest and he told me about there being U-Boot pens in the forest (??!!). Anyway he showed me where it was and he went off looking for something. When I asked what he was looking for he told me, Geocaching, never heard of it. Anyway, long story cut short, I found the fox-hole first and since then cant stop.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthr...ight=geocaching

I found Richard Arblasters (Geohikes founder) thread on Digitalspy after

looking for things to do other than sitting at the PC all day.

Sounded quite good reading about going to places in your local area

that you would not normally go to and a bit of walking at the same time.

Unfortunately the Multi I first saw,in Hilsea Portsmouth was archived

soon after.

Found it Seagulls Ships & Sights (Hants) Archived 2 weeks after I started :unsure:

Edited by mickyz

I am a newbe, but I would be intrested to discover the founders of geocaching in the Uk/ England/ Wales/ Scotland/ N Ireland etc..

The first cache I found was Aug 01 [Angel's View] - at the time there were only a tiny handful of caches in the UK, may only have been a couple of dozen. It was placed there in April by Moss Trooper.

From what I remember, the first cache in the UK was placed in Feb 01.

Hampshire Hog wrote:

I think the following are correct, but I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if they're not:

First in the UK, and first in Scotland: Scotland's First GCF0 - placed 15.12.2000 by Jock Scott

First in England: View from Coombe Hill GC171 - placed 14.1.2001 by Brad Yuan & Steph Adler

First in Wales: The First in Wales GC2BA - 17.2.2001 by The Gecko's

I don't know the first in Northern Ireland.

(Edited to add placers' names)

Edited by Bill D (wwh)
Hampshire Hog wrote:

I think the following are correct, but I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if they're not:

First in the UK, and first in Scotland: Scotland's First GCF0 - placed 15.12.2000 by Jock Scott

First in England: View from Coombe Hill GC171 - placed 14.1.2001 by Brad Yuan & Steph Adler

First in Wales: The First in Wales GC2BA - 17.2.2001 by The Gecko's

I don't know the first in Northern Ireland.

(Edited to add placers' names)

I think that 'View from Coombe Hill' has the honour of being the oldest ACTIVE cache in the England and that the somewhat short-lived GC4E "England's First!" (placed 06/06/2000) was actually the first of the many...

Not sure about Northen Ireland but the oldest cache in Europe is in the south, just outside Dublin.