COINTEST! Feeding the world's pickiest eater...

sunsetmeadowlark

My husband is the world’s pickiest eater. He refuses to eat any vegetables except potatoes and the occasional dish with onion but only if it’s finely diced. He won’t eat steak, he prefers not to eat pork chops unless they are smothered in gravy and fork tender. Roast beef also has to be fork tender. He loves most hamburger dishes but not if there are vegetables in them. He loves rice, white or fried (but again, no veggies!). Oriental food is out, he hates the sauces. Mexican food is good but only if it’s not spicy and any sauces need to be a cheese sauce. Any meat served on the bone is a definite no. The only condiment he will use is mayonnaise (must be real). Salt (regular or seasoning) and pepper are fine. He loves fettuccini alfredo but dislikes spaghetti. He won’t touch anything that could even remotely be considered seafood. He will eat dishes with cream of mushroom soup in them but will not eat the soup by itself and won't eat mushrooms any other way. He’s not fond of garlic.

To further complicate things, I don’t like to cook! So anything I cook has to be a simple recipe. Because of his eating habits and my dislike of cooking, our dinner menu is pretty limited. I’d like to try some new things! And, I love garlic!

Your challenge is to find a recipe that he likes and that I can cook! At the end of the cointest I will present all of the recipes to him and whichever one he chooses for dinner that night will be the winner.

The prize? A trackable AE Copper version of the Butterfly Kisses Suncatcher coin! A second place winner will be chosen to receive a set of 4 Butterfly Kisses Pathtags.

The cointest will run from now until noon Mountain time on May 11th, 2009. The winners will be notified via e-mail and their coin or tags will be shipped as soon as I receive them (expected mid to late May).

Post as many recipes as you want! If two people post the same recipe, the person who posted it first will receive credit for it.

To start it off, here is his absolute favorite recipe:

SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS

2 cans cream of potato soup

2 cans cream of mushroom soup

3 to 8 pork loin chops, approximately 1" thick

In a large bowl combine soups with 1 cup water. Mix well. Place pork chops in a single layer in the bottom of a large crock pot. Pour soup mixture over chops making sure the chops are completely covered. Cook on low 8 to 10 hours. Serve with mashed potatos, the sauce is an excellent gravy!

OK! A recipe cointest!

(btw, my husband likes a similar recipe to the smothered pork chops you listed!)

I know you said meat on a bone is a definite no, but this recipe makes the meat so tender it will fall off the bone on it's own!

Slow Cookin' BBQ Ribs

BBQ Sauce (I often double this recipe as my husband likes lots of sauce):

1 cup ketchup

1/4 white vinegar

1/2 cup brown sugar

2 tbsp chopped onion (you can also use 2tsp of dehydrated onion instead which all but disappears in the sauce)

2 tsp Worcestershire or soya sauce

1/4 tsp black pepper

1/8 tsp ground allspice

pinch of celery salt

pinch of mustard powder

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer over medium low heat for five minutes. Cut ribs into 3-4 bone chunks. Score the meat between the ribs so that the sauce will soak in. Place ribs in the slow cooker and cover with the sauce. Cook on LOW 8-10 hours or HIGH 4-5 hours. You can serve with rice and the sauce can be poured over the rice.

Delish!

(will post another one later that we both really like!)

OK! A recipe cointest!

(btw, my husband likes a similar recipe to the smothered pork chops you listed!)

I know you said meat on a bone is a definite no, but this recipe makes the meat so tender it will fall off the bone on it's own!

Slow Cookin' BBQ Ribs

BBQ Sauce (I often double this recipe as my husband likes lots of sauce):

1 cup ketchup

1/4 white vinegar

1/2 cup brown sugar

2 tbsp chopped onion (you can also use 2tsp of dehydrated onion instead which all but disappears in the sauce)

2 tsp Worcestershire or soya sauce

1/4 tsp black pepper

1/8 tsp ground allspice

pinch of celery salt

pinch of mustard powder

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer over medium low heat for five minutes. Cut ribs into 3-4 bone chunks. Score the meat between the ribs so that the sauce will soak in. Place ribs in the slow cooker and cover with the sauce. Cook on LOW 8-10 hours or HIGH 4-5 hours. You can serve with rice and the sauce can be poured over the rice.

Delish!

(will post another one later that we both really like!)

I see a geocoin cookbook developing <_<

I'm definitely gonna lose <_< it's not uncommon for me to spend 3 hours in the kitchen (on weeknights sometimes we eat at 10-10:30!) and I love vegetables and spices :D But I'll share anyway :D Thanks for the cointest!

This recipe is from my favorite food website and looks like an easy tasty side dish, it's pea based but the sauce sounds really good, mmm tarragon

Baked Peas with tarragon, yogurt & pistachios

1 pound frozen baby peas

1/2 cup loosely packed fresh tarragon leaves

2 scallions, white and green parts, chopped

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1/4 cup Greek yogurt

1/2 cup chopped pistachios

sea salt to taste

Preheat the oven to 500F. Put the peas in a clay pot or a small Dutch oven and gently heat them on the stove until they thaw, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, put the tarragon, scallions, olive oil, yogurt, and 1/4 cup of the pistachios into a blender and puree. Gently mix into the peas, sprinkle the top with extra chopped pistachios (Heidi note: season with a pinch of salt, or to taste). Bake for about 15 minutes - about the time the top will begin to brown. Remove and serve in your best serving bowl.

And if you like breakfast for dinner :D There is this one:

Coconut Macaroon Pancakes

1 14-ounce can of coconut milk

2 tablespoons honey (or agave nectar)

1 /4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose or regular pastry flour)

3 cups unsweetened dried shredded coconut

scant 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt

2 teaspoons baking powder

3 large eggs. whisked in a medium bowl

1/4 cup natural cane sugar or brown sugar

In a small saucepan heat the coconut milk and honey, bring barely to a simmer.

In a separate large bowl combine the flour, coconut, salt and baking powder. Stir the coconut milk into the flour mixture.

Whisk about 1/3 cup of the coconut mixture into the eggs. Now quickly mix the eggs back into the large bowl of coconut batter. Stir until well combined. You can do this the night before if you like.

Heat your favorite non-stick (or very well-seasoned) skillet, pan, or griddle to medium-hot and brush it with a bit of butter. Test for the right temperature. If a drop of water dropped onto the pan starts to dance, you are in the ballpark. Drop a heaping tablespoon into the skillet, sprinkle the top with a bit of brown sugar. Wait until the pancake bottom is deep golden in color, then flip with a spatula and cook the other side until golden and cooked through. Repeat with the remaining batter.

Edited by ThirstyMick

Sounds Exactly like my husband!!!!!!

Try This....

......Baked Stuffed Bulky

1 bag of shredded cheese, his favorite

1 Jar Pasta Sauce , his favorite

1 Boil In Bag SUCCESS Rice cooked

1 lb of burger, browned

6 Med. sized Bulky Rolls scooped out

Mix browned burger, cooked rice and pasta sauce together while still hot.

Set the Bulky Roll "cups" in a baking dish

Fill each bread "cup" with burger mixture till Full

Place shredded cheese in heaps on top.

Bake in preheated 350 degree for 5 to 7 minutes untill cheese melts.

ENJOY!!

Thanx for the cointest,

Opalsns

Edited by opalsns

tater tot casserole

ground beef

mushroom soup

tater tots

press beef into 9x13 pan, season and cover with undiluted mushroom soup, arrange tater tots an top and bake in 350 deg oven for 45 minutes. optionally melt cheese on top just prior to serving.

Lazy Lady’s Lasagna

Not only Good, Fun to say: Lazy Lady’s Lasagna

¼ lb Hamburger

1cup Spaghetti sauce

½ cup cottage cheese

¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1-1/2 cups cooked wide noodles

2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Brown Hamburger, add the spaghetti sauce, and cook until well heated;

Stir in cottage cheese and mozzarella. Fold in the noodles. Pour into two Greased 2-cup casseroles. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375 for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 2 servings. Serve with Garlic bread on the side.

Tater-tot Casserole

1 bag frozen tater tots

1 onion (finely chopped)

1 lb. ground beef

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1/2 - 1 cup (approx.) milk

2 cups shredded cheese

salt and pepper to taste

Brown ground beef with chopped onion and drain. Add cream of mushroom soup. Add milk until the consistency is a little runny (will pour off the spoon but not completely liquid). Add salt and pepper to taste.

Place frozen tater tots in bottom of a 9x13 pan. Pour meat mixture over top and spread it around as best you can (it may not completely cover the tater tots). Cover with shredded cheese (you can use more or less cheese if you like).

Cook at 425 for about 45 minutes (until cheese is melted and maybe a little browned).

**You can put sliced tomatoes on the top (before the shredded cheese) but I left this part out since I figured your husband wouldn't like that. I put the tomatoes on half for those who want and those who don't want them.

Here is mine-

Hamburgers and onion gravy

1 lb hamburger meat

onion (to taste)

flour

water

S&P

form hamburgers into patties, season, and brown in skillet with onion

remove patties from skillet

Mix a flour gravy using hot water and flour and pour into skillet (this will combine with drippings to form a gravy)

Once slightly thickened add hamburger back to skillet and finish cooking

Serve over rice or mashed potatoes

No veggies, no bones, and very little time in the kitchen

Good luck!

Edited by blackfishorca

Open up a box of cereal of your choice (they come in a variety of flavors and colors)

Pour cereal into a bowl

Pour Milk onto cereal (milk comes in a variety of fat content, whole, 2% 1%, 1/2%, or skim)

Use your favorite utensil to eat your freshly created dinner (I recommend a spoon)

Enjoy!!!! <_<

Cream of Mushroom Chicken

2 tablespoons butter

1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup

1 1/4 cups water, or as needed

1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk

1 onion, chopped

salt and pepper to taste

2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed

1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained

Add to Recipe Box

What to Drink?

Chardonnay

DIRECTIONS

In a large saucepan, melt the butter/margarine. Add the soup, water and milk. Stir together over medium heat. Add the onion, salt and pepper and bring all to a boil.

When mixture starts boiling, add the chicken meat and simmer all together until chicken is cooked through. Add the sliced mushrooms and boil over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Serve!

I don't cook anything that isn't easy, and I'm also not fond of vegatables. This really is yummy and you can leave the veggies out if you like.

The :Lick Your Bowl Clean" Broccoli and Cheese Soup

2 chicken bouillion cubes

1 quart whipping cream( you can use half and half)

1 pkg. of broccoli florets-cooked and drained

1 pkg. of shredded and chopped carrots

8 oz. of Velveeta cheese, cut and cubed

Combine in your pot the bouillon cubes and whipping cream. Stove should be turned on to medium/low heat. Allow whipping cream to come to a boil, and the boullion cubes to dissolve. Once the whipping cream has come to a boil, slowly add the velveeta cheese. Stir constantly so that the cheese doesn't scald. Once all of the velveeta cheese has been added and melted, add the broccoli and carrots and allow it to simmer until done. Then serve it up.

Creamy Bacon and Muishroom Chicken

4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts

8 slices bacon, uncooked

2 cans 10.5 oz cream of mushroom soup

8 tbsp cream cheese

Cut each piece of chicken in half. Wrap one slice of bacon around each half of chicken and place in a 9 X 13 inch pan. Pour soup over chicken and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and top each piece of chicken with 1 tbsp cream cheese. Place back into oven for 10 minutes. Serve over hot rice.

Peppy Chili Stack-ups

1 lb hamburger

1 (15oz) can kidney beans, drained

24oz V-8 Juice (thats how you sneak in the vegies!)

1 pkg chili seasoning packet (taco seasoning works well too, use 2 of those)

Fritos corn chips (more vegies!)

Brown hamburger, add beans, V-8 juice and chili mix. Simmer for about 30 minutes. Serve over fritos.

Top with any or none of the following:

shredded lettuce

sour cream

sliced olives

shredded cheese

chopped onions

diced tomatoes

One of our favorite quickie meals.

One Dish Chicken & Rice Bake

Prep: 5 minutes

Bake: 45 minutes

Serves: 4

Ingredients:

1 can (10 3/4 oz.) Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup or Cream of Chicken Soup

1 cup water *

3/4 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice

1/4 tsp. paprika

1/4 tsp. ground black pepper

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts

Directions:

Mix soup, water, rice, paprika and black pepper in 2-qt. shallow baking dish. Top with chicken. Season with additional paprika and pepper. Cover.

Bake at 375°F. 45 min. or until done.

*For creamier rice, increase water to 1 1/3 cups.

Sweet and Sour Meat Loaf

1 1/2 lbs ground beef

1 tsp salt

2 eggs

1 (15oz) can tomato sauce, divided

1 cup dry bread crumbs

1/4 tsp pepper

1/4 cup diced onion (leave out if you prefer)

Topping

reserved tomato sauce

2 Tbsp. vinegar

2 tsp mustard

2 Tbsp. brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

Mix together ground beef, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and eggs. Add onions and half of tomato sauce. Form into loaf in 9x5x3 pan. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes.

In saucepan, combine topping ingredients; bring to a boil. Pour over meatloaf, bake 10 minutes more.

This is very good served with white rice.

Similar to some others that have been posted, but an easy one thats always a favorite at my house.

Chicken and Rice

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts

1 Tbsp margarine or butter

1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup

Salt and Pepper

Minute Rice

Slice the chicken into strips about 3/4 in wide - you should get about 5 or more per breast.

In a large skillet, melt the margarine. Brown the chicken strips, salt and pepper them if you like.

Add the soup, and about a cup of water for a nice 'gravy'. Let this simmer a few minutes while you make the rice, following the directions on the box.

Serve the chicken and gravy over the rice. And a vegetable on the side is nice too <_<

Taco Casserole

1 lb ground beef

1 small can nacho cheese dip

1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

diced onion

1 pkg taco seasoning

tortilla chips

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

diced tomato

Brown ground beef and mix in one package taco seasoning according to directions. To this mixture add 1/2 to 1 small can nacho cheese dip.

In a 9x13 inch pan, break up tortilla chips in bottom about 1/2 inch thick. Spread meat mixture on top of chips and add a few more chips on top of meat mixture.

For next layer, sprinkle 1 cup each of mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Over this, sprinkle diced onions and then tomatoes.

Cover dish with foil and bake 30 to 45 minutes at 350 degrees, let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.

Another very easy one. I like to make this and freeze single servings to heat up later.

Italian Pie

1 lb ground beef

1 sm onion

1 8 oz can tomato paste

1 pkg spaghetti mix(powder)

4 oz sour cream

11/2 cups shredded mozarella cheese

1 can of cresent rolls

2 tbs butter

Parmesan cheese

In a skillet brown ground beef and onions, drain. Add tomato paste and spaghetti mix. Bring to a boil. Put in casserole dish. Mix sour cream and cheese together, spread over meat mixture. Layer crescent rolls on top. Melt butter, pour over crescent rolls, top with parmesean cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown at 350. Enjoy! <_<

Ingredients:

Set of sheep's heart, lungs and liver (cleaned by a butcher)

One beef bung

3 cups finely chopped suet

One cup medium ground oatmeal

Two medium onions, finely chopped

One cup beef stock

One teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon pepper

One teaspoon nutmeg

½ teaspoon mace

Method:

Trim off any excess fat and sinew from the sheep's intestine and, if present, discard the windpipe. Place in a large pan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for an hour or possibly longer to ensure that they are all tender. Drain and cool

Finely chop the meat and combine in a large bowl with the suet, oatmeal, finely chopped onions, beef stock, salt, pepper, nutmeg and mace. Make sure the ingredients are mixed well. Stuff the meat and spices mixture into the beef bung which should be over half full. Then press out the air and tie the open ends tightly with string. Make sure that you leave room for the mixture to expand or else it may burst while cooking. If it looks as though it may do that, prick with a sharp needle to reduce the pressure.

Place in a pot and cover with water. Bring to the boil and immediately reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for three hours. Avoid boiling vigorously to avoid bursting the skin.

Serve hot with "champit tatties and bas-hit neeps" (mashed/creamed potato and turnip/swede). For added flavour, you can add some nutmeg to the potatoes and allspice to the turnip/swede. Some people like to pour a little whisky over their haggis - Drambuie is even better! Don't go overboard on this or you'll make the haggis cold.

haggis2563a.jpg

Here is a family recipe handed down from generations and a big thing from our culture/ Heritage. My mother is 100 percent Finish and her ancentors come from Finland.

We call it Pannu Kakku (Finnish Oven Pancake)

My Mom used to make this as a special breakfast treat when we had company or for holidays. It is a baked pancake/custard. I like it with syrup and sausages served on the side. The Finns would often serve with jam or fruit preserves and of course coffee. Ingredients

Directions

1. 1
    Beat eggs.

2. 2
    Add milk, sugar, salt, vanilla and flour.

3. 3
    Mix well.

4. 4
    Add melted butter and mix until blended.

5. 5
    This will be a thin batter.

6. 6
    Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.

7. 7
    Bake at 400 degrees for approx.

8. 8
    40 minutes- until custard is set and top is nicely browned.

9. 9
    Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.

10. 10
    Serve with warmed syrup or jam.

I'm not entering the cointest, but I don't want your husband to starve to death. I'm sure glad I'm not his cook! Before long he might end up wearing his dinner, LOL!!! <_< If you google this recipe, it comes up with 70,100 results, so it must be good. You can add potatoes, and hide some garlic under the roast where he can't see it, and you don't have to do anything but put it in the crock pot, go to work or play, come home and it's ready. Best for both of you.

(If by some chance he should he choose this recipe, please release the prize for Todie's Wild Ride, I do not enter cointests)

It's called "To Die For Crock Pot Roast"

Ingredients

* 1 beef roast, any kind

* 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package brown gravy mix, dry

* 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package dried Italian salad dressing mix

* 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package ranch dressing mix, dry

* 1/2 cup water

Directions

1. Place beef roast in crock pot.

2. Mix the dried mixes together in a bowl and sprinkle over the roast.

3. Pour the water around the roast.

4. Cook on low for 7-9 hours.

Add potatoes, carrots, onions if desired. Or don't.

Velveeta Cheese Enchiladas

A good meal that only takes about 20 min.

1 lbs Hamburger

12 Flour Tortillas

½ Cup Butter

3 tbsp. Flour

8 OZ. Velveeta Cheese

1 cup Milk

4 Ozs. Chopped Green Chilies

1 Onion

Brown Hamburger meat and onion. Roll Hamburger meat into flour tortillas. In a saucepan put butter, flour, cheese, milk, and Chilies. Heat until melted. Pour Mixture over Flour Tortillas. Bake @ 350 deg. For 10 Min.

Beef Enchilada Rice.

1 lbs Hamburger

1 can Rotel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies

¾ cup water

1 ½ cups MINUTE RICE

1 to 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese

Brown hamburger in large skillet, Add Rotel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies and water, bring to a boil.

Add rice. Stir, and remove from heat. Place cheese on top Replace cover. Let stand 3 to 5 minutes until cheese has melted

Serve With Tortillas. Makes 4 servings.

I have picky eaters in my house too. Here's something they like:

Taco Pie (makes two - so you can freeze one for another meal)

1 lb Ground Beef

1 package Cheese Slices - Cheddar or Marble (not the processed ones)

1 package Taco Seasoning Mix

4 Frozen deep dish Pie Shells

Preheat over to 375 F

Brown Ground Beef, Drain.

Add Taco Seasoning Mix and water as per directions on package.

Remove shells from package and separate and add ground beef to cover the bottom of the shell.

Follow with a layer of cheese,

Repeat (so that you have two layers)

Moisten the edges of the pie crust and cover pie with the other shell. Pinch and seal edges.

Cut several holes in the top of crust.

Repeat the instructions for the other shells.

Bake at 375F for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve with Salsa, Sour Cream and Lettuce as garnish.

Enjoy!

Thank you,

Val

Bacon Wrapped Chicken

INGREDIENTS

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

1/2 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, sliced

4 slices bacon

1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives

1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1/2 cup milk

1 teaspoon lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 pinch salt

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).

Pound the chicken breasts until flat. Put a slice of cream cheese and 1 teaspoon chopped chives in the middle of each breast and roll up. Wrap each rolled breast with 1 slice of bacon and secure with toothpicks.

Place in a 9x13 inch baking dish.

In a medium bowl, combine condensed soup, mayonnaise, milk, lemon juice, pepper and salt. Mix until smooth, then pour over chicken.

Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, or until no longer pink and juices run clear.

Pierogi Casserole

•1 (8-ounce) package oven-ready lasagna noodles (12 noodles)

•3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks or 2 cups prepared instant mashed potatoes

•2 cups small-curd cottage cheese

•1 large egg, beaten

•1/4 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon onion salt

•1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

•1/4 teaspoon salt

•1/2 teaspoon black pepper

•1 cup caramelized, finely diced onions

•1/2 cup dry bread crumbs

•Sour cream, chopped dill for garnish

1.Soak noodles in warm water for 30 minutes, making sure they don't stick to each other.

2.Meanwhile, in medium pot, boil potatoes in salted water until tender (but this is not needed if you use the instant mashed potatoes or the premade versions).

3.While potatoes are cooking, mix together cottage cheese, egg, and 1/4 teaspoon onion salt, and set aside.

4.When potatoes are tender, mash them and stir in Cheddar cheese, 1/4 teaspoon regular salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon onion salt and pepper, and set aside.

5.Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a 9-inch-by-13-inch pan that has been lightly coated with nonstick spray, place 3 drained noodles horizontally.

6.Spread cottage cheese over first layer of noodles. Lay down another 3 noodles.

7.Spread mashed potato mixture evenly over second layer of noodles. Cover with another 3 noodles.

8.Spread 1/2 cup caramelized onions evenly over the third noodle layer. Cover with remaining 3 noodles. Mix remaining 1/2 cup onions with bread crumbs and spread over the top of the last noodle layer.

9.Cover casserole dish with foil and place on pan to catch drips. Bake for 30 minutes or until dish is bubbly. Uncover and bake 5 minutes more. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into squares as for lasagna. Serve with sour cream and chopped dill, if desired.

Make Ahead: Prepare recipe as directed. Do not bake. Cover with plastic wrap, then foil. Refrigerate up to 24 hours or freeze up to 2 months. When ready to bake, remove plastic wrap and replace foil. Bake refrigerated casserole about 40 minutes and frozen casserole about 1 1/2 hours.

Chicken Georgia

Ingredients

• 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
  • 4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 2 tablespoons minced shallots
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 4 ounces grated mozzarella cheese

Directions

Melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and shallots and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook 10 minutes. Add chicken and cook 10 minutes on each side, or until tender. Transfer chicken to platter and sprinkle with grated cheese. Top with mushroom mixture. Cook and let stand 5 minutes or until cheese melts.

Chicken Enchiladas

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breast
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 teaspoons cumin powder
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon Mexican Spice Blend
  • 1 red onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
  • 5 canned whole green chiles, seeded and coarsely chopped
  • 4 canned chipotle chiles, seeded and minced
  • 1 (28-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
  • 1/2 teaspoon all-purpose flour
  • 16 corn tortillas
  • 1 1/2 cups enchilada sauce, canned
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar and Jack cheeses
  • Garnish: chopped cilantro leaves, chopped scallions, sour cream, chopped tomatoes

Directions

Coat large saute pan with oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Brown chicken over medium heat, allow 7 minutes each side or until no longer pink. Sprinkle chicken with cumin, garlic powder and Mexican spices before turning. Remove chicken to a platter, allow to cool.

Saute onion and garlic in chicken drippings until tender. Add corn and chiles. Stir well to combine. Add canned tomatoes, saute 1 minute.

Pull chicken breasts apart by hand into shredded strips. Add shredded chicken to saute pan, combine with vegetables. Dust the mixture with flour to help set.

Microwave tortillas on high for 30 seconds. This softens them and makes them more pliable. Coat the bottom of 2 (13 by 9-inch) pans with a ladle of enchilada sauce. Using a large shallow bowl, dip each tortilla in enchilada sauce to lightly coat. Spoon 1/4 cup chicken mixture in each tortilla. Fold over filling, place 8 enchiladas in each pan with seam side down. Top with remaining enchilada sauce and cheese.

Bake for 15 minutes in a preheated 350 degree F oven until cheese melts. Garnish with cilantro, scallion, sour cream and chopped tomatoes before serving. Serve with Spanish rice and beans.

Wow, your husband is lucky he didn't grow up in my house! I have a couple, and they are both things my kids will eat, so...

SOS ($_ it on a shingle)

1 lb ground beef

1 cup white rice

1. Prepare rice according to directions.

2. Brown ground beef on med high. Once brown, drain and add soup. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.

3. Spoon beef mixture over rice, and serve.

The good part about this recipe is that you can add canned peas to it after it's done, and it tastes great. So you get your veggies too. Tabasco is also a great condiment.

Pappy's Goulash

1 lbs ground beef

1 can tomato sauce (the short can)

1 can sweet corn (you can tell him it's not a veggie, it's a stach, or leave it out completely)

1 can diced tomatoes (also optional)

1 cup macaroni

1 cup shredded Colby- Jack cheese

1. Prepare macaroni according to directions.

2. Brown ground beef over med high. Season to taste. Once brown, add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and corn. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.

3. Add mixtuer to drained noodles. Stir in shredded cheese.

Okay, I know the last one is probably not gonna cut it, but it's my favoite one-dish meal, and my kids love it. Anyway, I'd say good luck to all the entrants, but I think you need the luck more! <_<

My Chili Stew

1 lb lean ground beef

1 chopped onion (sweet)

¼ teaspoon garlic pieces

1 can red kidney beans

1 can stewed tomatoes

1 ½ tablespoons chilli powder

1 can pork & beans (tomato base)

1 can kernel corn

1 can of pieces & stem mushrooms

Crumble ground beef & onion and microwave on high for 6 – 8 minutes, drain well and stir in other ingredients and microwave for 8 minutes on high, stir and continue microwaving on med-low 50 minutes stirring occasionally.

Not hot, little sweet, just right served with bread of your choice.

Enjoy

BTW some great recipes here <_<

Beef Noodeles

1 bag of macaronie Noodeles

1lb Ground beef

Soya sauce

Cook up your macaronie

Fry up ground beef

Mix macaronie and ground beef

Add about half a cup of soya sauce mix with macaronie and ground beef noodeles should turn out a nice brown coulor might need to add more soya sauce depending on your taste are familly likes alot of soya sauce but thats just us

enjoy

Grilled Cheese :D

2 slices of bread

butter

2 slices of cheese

Butter outsides of each slice of bread. Place slices of cheese inbetween slices and close butter side out.

Place slices in preheated frying pan and cook each side untill golden brown and cheese is melted.

Serve!!!!

Mmm Mmm Good!!!! <_<

A cookbook. Present it while saying, "here you go, honey. Good luck."

; )

Seriously, tho, it's a very difficult cointest, as you've ruled out just about anything I find tasty. But I do have some suggestions. The first one is not particularly healthy, I'm afraid:

Cheese & Mushroom "X"

---------------------------

1 can cheddar cheese soup

Pepper, to taste

Sneak some spices in there. I like basic ones like oregano, thyme, and a little dill.

1 tsp Worcester Sauce

Heat all of the ingredients together. Pour it over "X", where "x" is some form of pasta your husband doesn't loathe (try farfalle [bow ties] or penne or elbow macaroni if it's the long stringiness of fettuchini that's the issue). It's also quite good on rice, and you can even top toast with it. Hit it with a little paprika for color.

If you like, you can mix it all together in a casserole dish, lightly top it with shredded cheese, and broil it until the cheese browns.

This recipe is also perfectly good (and probably a little, but not much, healthier) if you leave the cheddar cheese soup out.

Here's a recipe for you:

Garlic Soup

-------------

5 cups vegetable stock*

3 tablespoons chopped or minced garlic

Spices: parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme (yes, seriously) plus oregano, dill, sweet basil, and a literal small pinch of cumin

Salt & pepper, to taste

Fresh baby spinach (this is for you.)

Olive oil

Optional:

box of couscous, in any flavor you like (I am partial to Parmesan couscous)

*I really like "Better than Bullion" brand concentrated stock. I do believe that they make vegetable stock (as well as mushroom!!! stock, which as it has no nubbly mushrooms in it, your husband might like in other dishes).

Set the stock to a slow simmer in a pot. In a large pan, put in about two teaspoons of olive oil and saute the garlic until it is golden. Do NOT let it get brown (or you'll have to start over with a new pan). It should just be a nice golden color**. Stir a cup of your stock into the pan to deglaze it, then empty everything into the stock pot.

Add the spices to the soup and let it continue to simmer. You'll basically cook it down until you decide it's done: the longer you go, the more concentrated (and garlicky) the soup; the less time you let it simmer, the lighter and milder it will be.

Cook the couscous.

Assemble: a tablespoon of couscous in a bowl, then pour soup over the couscous. Add the baby spinach just before you serve it: the goal is to let the spinach wilt but not actually cook down. Enjoy this while your husband eats Rice Crispies.

You can use this soup as a stock to make rice, which might be a way to sneak some garlic into other dishes.

**I realize that this sounds terribly dangerous and complicated. I assure you that it is not. Basically, I just wait until the smallest pieces start to turn brown and that's when I stop. Actually, I've made this recipe so many times I can do it by smell; when the garlic starts to give up its essential oils, you can smell it.

Last recipe:

Quick and Easy Tomato Soup & Rice Soup (or Sauce on Rice)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

1 can Del Monte brand Stewed Tomatoes (Italian Recipe, with Basil, Garlic & Oregano)

Better than Bullion concentrated chicken stock

Pepper, to taste

Cooked white rice

Optional:

flour

Empty the can of stewed tomatoes into a pot. Add chicken stock to taste (be careful to add a half teaspoon at a time; it gets really strong really fast!). Add the pepper.

If you want to make soup, add a little water. If you want to make sauce, don't. From here, just cook it until it's nice and hot. If it's not thick enough for you, you can add a very little bit of flour (perhaps a teaspoon or half-teaspoon's worth), mix it in well, and let it cook down -- it will thicken the sauce.

Put individual servings of rice in bowls and pour soup (or sauce) over them. You can top with a little shredded parmesan or asiago cheese, if you like (and that's good in either soup or sauce).

I realize it has garlic and spices in it, but it is amazingly good -- and incredibly easy to make and is not hideously unhealthy, either. And it's a good start for any recipe that calls for red sauce.

Good luck, and thanks for the cointest!

Edited by Jackalgirl

I'm not a big fan of cooking either, so I modified my mom's tuna casserole recipe to make something my husband would like (he won't touch seafood either).

Chicken Casserole

2 chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bite sized pieces

1 can of mushroom soup

2 cups of cooked small pasta (you can also use rice, but I find the rice less tasty)

1 cup of shredded cheese of your choice (more or less... I love cheese!)

* for those who like vegetables, you can also add 1/2 cup of a random vegetable (so far I've tried corn, mushrooms, green peppers, and celery and they've all worked)

Preheat oven to 350. In a casserole dish, mix the chicken, mushroom soup, and pasta together. Top with cheese, and bake until cheese is melted and just starting to turn golden brown, usually 30-40 minutes but depends on the oven. Enjoy!

Also wanted to say a big thanks to everybody who has submitted recipes so far, husband and I have been wanting to try some new things, and I've got lots of ideas now. Awesome cointest!

WINTER SUPPER PORK CHOP DISH

Browned pork chops

2 to 3 c. cooked rice (firm)

1 sliced tomato

1 sliced onion (brown in pork chop pan)

1 beef cube

Grease casserole dish and fill with cooked rice. Place browned chops on top of rice in circle. Top with tomato slices and onion slices. Mix beef cube with 1 1/2 cups hot water mix and pour over casserole. Bake 1 hour at 325 degrees, covered

Very simple, Yet Very good!!

Enchilada Bake

1 lb. Hamburger

1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup

1 can Cream of Chicken Soup

1 can Enchilada sauce

1 small can evaporated milk

1 doz. Flour Tortillas

2 Cups grated cheese

Brown Hamburger, drain grease off.

Add soup, enchilada sauce, evaporated milk, cook over low heat till hot and blended.

Spray pan with nonstick spray, then begin layering tortillas, mixture, tortillas, mixture till it fills your pan---add cheese to top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30n to 40 minutes.

Fun cointest!

Cheesy Stuffed Chicken

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

1 box stuffing mix

4 string cheese sticks

shredded cheese to top

Pre-heat oven to 350.

Prepare the stuffing mix according to the directions on the box- set it aside to cool a little bit

Pound the chicken breasts with a tenderizer or mallet until they are an even thickness all the way through. (a *really* good way to get the days frustrations out! <_< )

Lightly salt and pepper the chicken

Take the string cheese and a good sized blob of stuffing and put it in the center of the flattened chicken breast

Roll up the chicken lengthwise keeping the filling in the center

Place it in a baking dish with the ends of the chicken face down and bake for 30 minutes

After 30 minutes put the soup over the chicken, top with the shredded cheese and bake for 30 more minutes

You can put all kinds of yummy additions into the filling (for those who are not veggie adverse!) around our house we love to put sauteed onions and spinach in place of the stuffing, I've also made it with wild rice and with white rice. Yummy!!

Yummy Cointest!

I've cooked for kids that were picky eaters that grew into adults that were picky eaters so I sympathise ... luckily they weren't my kids or they would have starved!

Puree any veggies you want to add to any dish in a food processor ... any mom with a fussy eater knows this trick. I wouldn't liquefy the veggies just get them small enough so that they're mush ... all the flavour, all the vitamins none of the "what's the lump in my mouth?" squeamishness

This enchilada bake recipe can be altered by the addition of any veggies that strike your husband's fancy. It's always hit in our home and leftovers are perfect for a packed lunch. I've taken this dish to many potluck dinners and it's always a hit. The baked rolls also make good appetizers if you slice them when they've cooled.

I like this recipe because you can alter the basics to suit your individual tastes. You can make it vegetarian ( using chopped portebello mushrooms ) or make it with ground chicken or ground beef.

Enchilada Bake

Basic Filling

Saute in a frying pan

about 1 lb of ground beef, ground chicken, or 4 or 5 large chunked portebello mushrooms

add finely diced onions and continue to brown this mixture until most of the liquid is reduced and you've drained any excess fat

Seasonings ...optional for your family

couple of dashes of Wocestershire sauce

1 tablespoon of ground cumin

a couple of teaspoons of chili powder

chopped fresh or dried parsley and in season cilantro

Veggies

for a non veggie lover you could skip all the veggies below and you'll still end up with a nice enchilada

or try the hide em approach and finely chop them in your food processor

add any or all of the following

chopped zuchinni,

chopped peppers (red, green, yellow, orange)

Canned corn (drained) or frozen corn niblets

black beans (drained)

to your basic filling mix add

3/4 cup of your favourite Salsa

about 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese or montery jack cheese

... stir until cheese is melted then remove from heat

divide the filling into the number of enchiladas you'll be making ( eg some packages have 6 large, 10 small)

Rolling the enchilada

lay the tortilla flat

scoop one portion of the filling onto one tortilla ... not in the middle but closer to one side or the other so that the filling looks like a little log

fold the edges of the tortilla over the filling mound ... the short side and both ends

then roll the whole tortilla towards the long side so that it makes a tube

chickenenchiladas1.jpg

[a picture's worth alot of words]

place rolled enchiladas seam side down on

1)a baking sheet ... this will be the low calorie version (also good for packed lunches and appetizers). Spray the top of the enchilada's with an oil cooking spray ...like EVO (extra virgin olive oil) or in a pinch use Pam

2)a casserole dish that you can then slather the whole dish with more grated cheese

Serve with extra salsa and some sour cream ...

enchiladas.jpg

Add cerveza or margareta's and yummy!

:unsure:

Chick in Chips

Boneless Chicken Breast as much as you want

1 Egg slightly beaten

Large bag of your favorite potato chips

A little bit of melted butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Crush bag of chips into a large bowl

Cut Chicken into nugget sized Couple inches square

Dip chicken squares into beaten egg, Then into the crushed chips and put them on a baking pan .

Drizzel a few drops of melted butter on each nugget

Bake for 10 minutes.

Let cool a minute

Have with your favorite Frozen Fries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poor guy - I HATE onion too!

Why do so many people insist on adding onions to quiche, sandwiches, savouries, pies, bread topping....

I suggest make some home made bread, let it rise twice.

Put it into a round dish, hole in middle but spread out over the edges of the dish....

Then fill the hole with garlic, cheese, cooked meats that he likes, and any veges (cooked al dente) that he likes.

Pull the outsides from over the edges to encase the filling.

Bake as per normal bread.

Cool a little, cut into wedges.

Yum!

Make dear hubby that fork tender roast the he likes then serve this along side it...I am willing to bet that he will never know that its turnips!

Turnip Gratin

4 Turnips

Butter

3-4 cloves Garlic ( you can leave that out )

Heavy Cream

Chicken Broth

2 cups shredded Swiss Cheese

salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Start by peeling and thinly slicing the turnips and mincing the garlic (if you are using it).

In a large oven-proof skillet melt 2-3 Tbsp. of butter over med-low heat. Place a single layer of turnips on top of the butter. Next, sprinkle a little of the garlic (or not) on top, then-and this is purely optional and really not necessary (but good!) add a couple pats of butter. Next drizzle a healthy splash of chicken broth over the turnips. Next, do the same with the cream. Now add a nice layer of shredded swiss- about 1/2 cup. Sprinkle a bit of salt.

Repeat those layers twice more. Sprinkle on some fresh ground pepper.

Now pop the whole thing into the oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the top is hot, brown and bubbly.

The first time I made this I used 1 turnip, some rutabaga and 2 potatoes because I was afraid just the root vegies would be to strong....I didn't need the potatoes! This is fabulous made 100% turnips or rutabaga!!