Viewing maps on Palm

The story so far.... :)

I use an Etrex Legend to find caches, and a Palm Tungsten E2 to go paperless.

I've experimented with Spinner and Plucker, which gives me links to images, but no images, and no maps. :)

I'm using Cachemate and I'm happy with the cache detail, but it gives no images...so... :D

Now the next step is I figure I need to work out a way to somehow copy the Google map search that shows all the caches in a certain area, save it as a JPEG, and then view this as an image on my E2. :D

Is this possible? :( Or is there another way of viewing maps that I don't know about...yet :D

SixStars

I use Spinner and Sunrise XP desktop (rather than Plucker), with Plucker on the Palm TX. Set to a link depth of 2, I do get the images on the Palm. Sunrise is faster and more reliable than Plucker desktop. As for maps, you could get the wi-fi card, find a hotspot and view them online or do a screen capture, save it as a .jpg and send it to your Palm. I am sure others will be along with a more elegant solution shortly (or maybe, as I type this).

I use Spinner and Sunrise XP desktop (rather than Plucker), with Plucker on the Palm TX. Set to a link depth of 2, I do get the images on the Palm. Sunrise is faster and more reliable than Plucker desktop. As for maps, you could get the wi-fi card, find a hotspot and view them online or do a screen capture, save it as a .jpg and send it to your Palm. I am sure others will be along with a more elegant solution shortly (or maybe, as I type this).

Thanks for the tip about SunriseXP :) ..... but unfortunately no joy with the images. I must be doing some thing wrong :)

I'll go back and read the SunriseXP tutorial again before my next crack.

Six Stars

Does your Etrex Legend not have maps?

I use an Etrex Vista Cx and a Palm Treo 650 (kinda similar to your setup) I let the etrex handle the visual maps :)

..but I do wish the Google Maps software on the Palm tell me my location! The message states that feature only works on Palm Centro's :)

I have Google Earth installed on my Palm T|X. I'm not sure how large the map cache is so I don't know how much area I can view when I don't have an internet connection. It works pretty nicely when I'm connected to the internet .. it does the satellite images and everything that I can see on the PC version.

...ken...

The Final word....

After a day of fooling around with image viewers, web viewers, Google maps and other applications, I came up with a way (a very labor intensive, roundabout way :D ) that has me ending up with almost what I want as far as images go.

I couldn't use Google maps, or any other web based apps, as my Tungsten E2 WiFi card only hooks up with "b" routers, and mine is a "g". :unsure:

I couldn't save Google caching maps (I don't think its possible at all), so what I did is create my own Google caching maps using info from this place ......

..... and then I made my own maps using advice from this place

I made sure the zoom was big enough to assist me, I then used a photo editor to label the cache sites, then saved them as JPEGS for viewing with GrxViewLite.

I can now view maps, and I'm already saving for a GPS that does all this itself! :D

Six Stars

Go into your router settings and set it for "B and G" instead of "G only". Then you can use the router to connect your Palm to the internet.

It's also really handy for Hotsyncing without having to physically connect to the PC. I have some USB driver issues connecting my T|X to the PC that has the Palm Desktop on it. So I just sync it over the network. It's just as fast as with the USB cable and handier because I can do it from anywhere in the house.

...ken...

I have used a Palm application called Tracker. I scanned a Canadian map in 3 parts and combined the 3 parts into one map in Photoshop. Tracker allows you to calibrate the map -- you can use the lat/long on the map, 3 of them, then the map is calibrated. Worked great and allowed me to navigate on a fishing lake way up in Canada.