Getting the Best from Pocket Queries

We are going away on holiday shortly and would like to make the best use of Pocket Query searches to ensure we get the maximum coverage of caches within a set distance of miles . Not knowing how densely or sparsely the area is populated with caches - we are concerned maybe we are trying to find too many results in too small a number of miles and may be missing some results in each direction. or vica versa.

Does the PQ take the nearest say 500 caches or does it choose a selection from each direction, thus maybe eliminating some in the radius ??

We sometimes think the results we receive back dont seem to cover areas / caches/ in all directions that we thought they would. I remember seeing a venn type diagram somewhere showing how to run several PQs which would ensure caches in all directions in a set number of miles away would be encompassed.

I wish you could choose which direction you would like the PQ to search ..eg 20 miles N of my home co-ordinates or from the cache waypoint we choose etc etc.

Can anyone help or suggest ways in which they enter their search requirements when trying to do the same.

We use an Oregon 300 which I think can take 1000 waypoints.

Many thanks

Edited by The Sandpipers

Not knowing how densely or sparsely the area is populated with caches

If you search using the map on your profile page, you will see just how many caches there are in a particular area. Just drag the map to the area you are interested in.

The PQ search results should be isotropic. When I plot the results on Memory Map they certainly appear to be. I generally set up three PQ's in a triangle around my home location. If you limit each one to 300 caches, you can fit them all into your GPSr with room to spare for additional manually set waypoints, although some will overlap.

If you search using the map on your profile page, you will see just how many caches there are in a particular area. Just drag the map to the area you are interested in.

The PQ search results should be isotropic. When I plot the results on Memory Map they certainly appear to be. I generally set up three PQ's in a triangle around my home location. If you limit each one to 300 caches, you can fit them all into your GPSr with room to spare for additional manually set waypoints, although some will overlap.

I wouldn't worry about limiting them - go for as many as possible (500), then load them all into one single GSAK database..... it won't duplicate them, and you'll end up with a GPX of as many individual caches as you want :)

Thanks so much Fuschia, I had forgotten all about using the Map feature on the profile page - we usually try and do it from postcodes or cache waypoints.

I wouldn't worry about limiting them - go for as many as possible (500), then load them all into one single GSAK database..... it won't duplicate them, and you'll end up with a GPX of as many individual caches as you want :)

Thanks Keehotee I usually just load them all straight into the GPS ...I guess they still wouldnt get duplicated that way either would they ? Many thanks