Final Recommendation on 2.95b for Oregon?

catluvr

I have an Oregon 400t and I really want the POI subcategories! Is it safe to upgrade to 2.95b?

These was a flurry of posts on several forums about erratic compass readings and screwy track logs at slow speeds, along with problems getting fixes on satellites and then the posts seemed to peter out!

So, what's the word? Did the satellite issues go away? How are the compass readings now?

Susie in Kansas

I am back to getting good reception now. I was so upset when my readings went to over 600':) I was at a team event called geoquest and we had 2 out of the 4 people have Oregons with the new software.

I love the upgrades and would recommend them to anyone.

When you guys say "solid" do you mean positional accuracy (stationary). It seems the lines get blurred when we speak of the difference in accuracy in both tracklogs and stationary points. I agree that when you are stationary for a bit of time the positional accuracy is good.

When you guys say "solid" do you mean positional accuracy (stationary). It seems the lines get blurred when we speak of the difference in accuracy in both tracklogs and stationary points. I agree that when you are stationary for a bit of time the positional accuracy is good.

Correct. I walk to the cache, or drive, use the GPS to get to the cache. No weird consistent drift as with 2.85 (I think?), everything has been <~20 feet of the cache (assuming there were no reported bad co-ordinates issues).. for about 150 caches with this beta.

I agrre that 2.95 is better,

Sorry but my track logs are still eritic and the compase hasn't been right since v 2.86.

Having said that I can now get an EGNOS lock sometime, but it only lasts for 15 - 20 mins, strangly though the GPS most of the time in a fairly clear area reports as +/- 8 ft even in the city of Winchester where I live, as such the reported accrucy is a lower number than on my vista but sometimes my 300 is closer to the cache and other times it is way off.

But yes the current beta build is better ....still a lot of work to do though.l

I made a list of all the sats it was picking up before 2.95b.

I was picking up 01 and 05, though they were not locked on. I had nine others that were green, one that was white and two more that were showing, but not locked in. None had "D"s though I do have WAAS turned on. My accuracy was 16-20 ft. I didn't go out and use the compass, so no comparisons on that.

I upgraded to 2.95b and found that I picking up 10 sats that were green and had "D"s! I have never seen "D"s on the bars before! <_< I have one that was green with no "D" and one that was white, but still had a "D".

I did notice that they were different sats ... I assume it's because they are WAAS? Although, one is the same ... 31 ... but this time there was a "D".

I have seen in some posts mentions about resetting the satellites or some such thing. I did the upgrade and then let the unit sit outside for quite awhile and settle. Is that the same thing?

I love the POI subcategories ... the biggest thing I missed from my eTrex Legend!

I think I need to recalibrate the altitude, it seems 50' different and unless Kansas has experienced a sudden upheaval that I was unaware of, I think my altitude didn't change!

I had a pretty bad time with 2.95b. My compass was completely useless, accuracy ran from 90'-300' most of the time, even under ideal conditions. I rolled back to 2.86 then to 2.93. I really did like the added features tho and will likely give it another shot since ive been reading all the other good posts about it. Perhaps bad flash? It looked very promising at the start. Hopefully the bad expirences are very isolated