Looking for GPS suggestions

Jamie Z

My circle of friends often consider me the GPS expert, and usually I can answer their questions, but I have reached the limit of my knowledge, and I'm looking for some suggestions.

A good friend has recently bought a large cabin-cruiser boat to be used on the local lakes (and if I have my way, the Mississippi River). It's a 28-footer (I think), sleeps three (or four?) and has a inboard big-block V-8. He got a sweet deal on it because it needs a bit of work.

He asked me about mounting a GPS in the boat.

My friend is a complete GPS noob. He said he'd mainly be using the GPS in the boat, but I can envision him deciding to use it in the car, too. I don't know anything about GPS for marine use, or what kinds of features they have, though the high-end marine units are probably out of his budget.

So here's what I'm looking for: A waterproof unit with a decent sized screen. It should be fairly user-friendly, otherwise I think my friend might get frustrated and give up on it. Good visibility in sunlight.

I think it should probably be good for automotive use too. I can see him using it in the car, though he hasn't told me specifically that he intends to do that.

What other features do marine units have? I've seen some with weather receivers, and do they have depth charts now, too? No need for Bluetooth or MP3 player.

The limiting factor will be budget. Consider $300 to be about the absolute maximum, He said $200-$250 is a little better. He's willing to buy good-condition used or referbished, and willing to buy something even if it's a model which is a few years old.

Any thoughts? Model suggestions? Is there any reason not to consider a standard automotive unit which is waterproof?

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z

My friend is a complete GPS noob. He said he'd mainly be using the GPS in the boat, but I can envision him deciding to use it in the car, too. I don't know anything about GPS for marine use, or what kinds of features they have, though the high-end marine units are probably out of his budget.

So here's what I'm looking for: A waterproof unit with a decent sized screen. It should be fairly user-friendly, otherwise I think my friend might get frustrated and give up on it. Good visibility in sunlight.

I think it should probably be good for automotive use too. I can see him using it in the car, though he hasn't told me specifically that he intends to do that.

What other features do marine units have? I've seen some with weather receivers, and do they have depth charts now, too? No need for Bluetooth or MP3 player.

The limiting factor will be budget. Consider $300 to be about the absolute maximum, He said $200-$250 is a little better. He's willing to buy good-condition used or referbished, and willing to buy something even if it's a model which is a few years old.

Any thoughts? Model suggestions? Is there any reason not to consider a standard automotive unit which is waterproof?

Jamie

I don't know that much about marine GPSr's, but having spent an incredibly small amount of time on a friend's sailboat, I'd like to point out how useful it would be for the GPSr to float. Nothing's worse than losing a pricey toy to the sea because it sinks before you can figure out where it fell, let alone go after it.

--Susan

I didn't think of the ability to float... but that's a good one.

Though... whatever unit he gets, I'm sure it'll be mounted semi-permanently on the dash. It's not like a little fishing boat. Not much chance of it falling in the water. 76cx is a good idea, though without voice prompts, it's not the best car unit.

Jamie

I had a Map 76 that I used exclusively for marine navigation. I liked it but jumped ship (pun intended) to a 60 CX. the color screen is great and I can say that my 60 gets much faster and better satellite connection than my 76 ever did. My 76 was one of the early runs. I know they are supposed to have the same chipset, but this is real world testing. Anyhow, I use my 60 for car navigation and actually prefer not having voice commands. The current crop of handhelds are so ridiculously capable at so many functions, I don't think you could go wrong. I used the Blue Charts for marine navigation and City Navigator for the road. If your primary use is inland waterways, then I would suggest the "i" series that come with the inland waterways map. Good luck.

...I know they are supposed to have the same chipset...

Only if it was a 76Cx. I suspect it wasn't.

I am sure you are correct. If I remember it was just Map 76. It was a greyscale screen and couldn't get a signal in a car unless it was on the dashboard. Worked great on my boat.

If you'd consider stepping into "the darkside" :) ... how about a Lowrance XOG?

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Automotive/XOG/

It's a crossover-type GPSr that has voice guidance navigation for street use, and Lowrance is an industry leader in awesome marine maps!

It's water "resistant" not waterproof.. it won't survive a dunking but will handle an occasional splash or rain.

The biggest drawback to the unit is it's internal battery is only good for about 2 hours so, either in the car or on the boat it should be hardwired to the vehicles battery.

Best news, it is DAM CHEAP!! I bought one a couple weeks ago for just $149(CDN) and that includes full street maps of continental USA and Canada and a car kit! (windshield mount & charger cable). Water and TOPO maps can be had separately.

Check it out! :)

..oh and it will also accept Geocaching's .gpx files, up to 1000 waypoints that includes name. difficulty level, hint, etc. It even uses Geocaching specific icons!

Edited by NordicMan