Ask 6 questions, then check right/wrong, then show a message or the final zone

Chris Race

Hi there,

by now I have a small problem with the following:

- Player is standing in the last zone before the final zone (final is invisible but active)

1.)

I give the user one task (on clicking there's input on a question required), if the player answers (doesn't matter whether right or wrong), the next tasks becomes visible, the previous one invisible.

2.)

The second task is built the same way than the first

....and so on .....

3)

The last task (question 6):

The user answers and then I check whether the answers were correct or not.

If they were correct,

- a sound should be heard

- a message box should pop up

- the final zone should be visible so the player can go on

PROBLEM:

Everything works fine, the questioning, the answering, the checking BUT I can't find a way to make the final zone visible (and the message popping up, the sound, ...) if all of the answers were correct as I couldn't find a trigger that fires for all that because the player is still standing in the last zone (not moving, not leaving, nothing).

Is there something I can do that a trigger fires (final visible, sound, ...) after all answers are given and without moving?

Chris

sorry, but you're doing it all wrong :)

first of all: do not use OnClicks. ever. they are stupid, break user expectations and (perhaps most importantly) don't work on Colorados and Oregons.

(tasks are designed to show the user what to do and what he has already done. they're non-interactive on purpose. in most cases, what you want to achieve by "clicking a task" is better suited for a command on some item or character)

second: why exactly don't you do the correctness checks and zone activation and all that in the last OnGetInput? from what i understand, you already check that the answers were correct. why not do "if (answers are correct) then (activate final zone)" in the same code block?

here's a better way:

1. invoke the first input - by entering that zone, or maybe as a command on some character/item ... whatever you think is appropriate, i don't know your cartridge

2. in that input's OnGetInput, invoke the second one, and so on, until you have the last one.

3. in the sixth question's OnGetInput, do something like: if (answer1 is "whatever the correct answer is" and answer2 is "correct for no.2" etc.) then show final zone and play sounds etc, else tell player "you got it wrong, try again", end.

sorry, but you're doing it all wrong :D

Damned :)

It's my first cartridge and I'm trying the whole Wherigo-things out for 2 days, maybe that's why I'm doing wrong :( .

I will think about your way (sounds easy) and will give it a try tomorrow, now it's way to late for me.

If everything goes right: Many thanks for your answer (and I will always remember of "do not use OnClicks. ever.")!!

If not: I'll ask you again :)

Chris

Edited by Chris Race

I learned the hard way to walk before I ran.

Start with a simple cartridge to learn the ins and outs. Then, as you get more comfortable with the Builder etc. you can make a more complex cartridge.

I still keep a barebones cartridge for testing out new concepts.

@matejcik:

Yeah, everything works fine (at the moment), many thanks.

I hope that the builder (or the complete Wherigo-story) will be updated in the near future, sometimes it's very annoying and difficult to do all that stuff (especially button scripts, aaargh). And hopefully the bug with cancelling five of six getInput's or other things happen if you have several things that should do something STEP BY STEP (instead of rushing to the last one) will get fixed.

Till the next question <_<

Chris

Edited by Chris Race