trackable's going missing then reappearing long time later

As it says dose this happen allot

I placed 3 trackable's in a cache all of which have gone missing then two have appeared which has not been seen for 9 months in the cache

have a look

1 www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=782337

2 www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=638628

and these are the ones gone

1 http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...93-c21292611252

2 http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...17-096437409d8f

3 http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...07-b48e38108279

seams a bit funny to me

No, it doesn't happen often. Usually once they're lost, they stay lost.

Reappearing travelers is a good thing.

Looks like someone finally got back out caching and dropped yours in the same cache. They just didn't admit it by logging them in properly.

Edited by BlueDeuce

It all depends on why they went missing. If the cache they are in gets muggled, there's not much hope of it turning up again, but if someone fails to log it properly when moving it on, it will usually re-appear somewhere else eventually.

Most of the TB's and GC's that I have lost have been due to having been picked up by a geocacher who then loses interest in the hobby and never places it in a cache again. A few polite emails sometimes works in this case, but not always.

Edited by Fuchsiamagic

It has been known for people to visit a cache, pick up a trackable, get distracted (say by the kids), forget about the trackable and then lose it in the depths of the geobag until they have a spring clean...

Sometimes they own up, sometimes they are too embarrased. Either way, reappearing trackables is a good thing!

It dose make me wonder :)

On these ones it looks like a phantom cacher who cant be bothered to log any thing <_<

One of the coins was last seen in Canada 29/4/08 (whats that all about) :rolleyes:

Sort of takes the fun out when people trash the cach being muggled is one thing but removing the contents is another like i have been reading about people stalling the ammo boxes and just putting the contents in a bag i mean that is scum and the wost of it is its cacher who knows how much time and effort goes in to setting them up and could even be reading this post :)

It puts me off setting any caches!!! B)

It's not necesarily someone deliberately trashing the cache, people do genuinely make mistakes. I had a coin in my posession for almost 6 months without realising it was in my bag. I did log the find and packed it with my gear for a weekend out caching to move it on its way, unfortunately, Mrs HH had an accident, the trip was cancelled and due to not going out again whilst she was on the mend the coin lay forgotten until I received a polite email from the owner and got it moving again. The sandwiches packed with the coin were in a pretty sorry state and only made it as far as the bin :rolleyes:

I've just realised that two of the TB's you mention mysteriously appeared in one of my caches and three others disappeared from it at the same time. It simply looks to me like an unknown cacher simply didn't log their visit. Why else would they leave two new TB's if they were just out to steal them? I'll go and have a look at the paper log and see if I can identify them, then drop them an email.

On several occasions I have had to instruct new cachers that they actually do need to log them in and out of caches on GC.com. Some of them had no idea that they had to do that and were just moving TB's about without recording them! :rolleyes:

It has happened to us. We recently found a racing TB and moved it on as soon as we could (next day) - that was in feb. We hit another cache the other day and came across it again. When I went to log it it showed that it still should have been in the cache that we placed it in in Feb. So who knows where it has been since Feb - I am just glad we found it. Such a shame as it was in the top 10 of the race when we originally found it - points have been lost just because someone moved it and not logged it. At least it is back up and running now.

This is not the only 'lost' TB we have found - we have found 2 since Feb. Why do people do this?? My family have TB's and coins out there - some belonging to my 8yr old daughter - who watches their every move. She would be gutted if one of her 'babies' as she calls them went missing.

... Why do people do this?? My family have TB's and coins out there - some belonging to my 8yr old daughter - who watches their every move. She would be gutted if one of her 'babies' as she calls them went missing.

It's just part of the cycle of life and death with trackables, unfortunately. :D As I said elsewhere...

A cat may have nine lives but a little travel bug only gets two - Its first life, then its second one on the Copy tag. After that it can progress to its own nirvana using a series of copy copy tags but eventually it reaches the highest plateau, namely the fabled Unknown Location.

Some attain this status sooner than others, but we should allow them all to strive for this perfect omega for as long as their spirit is there.

MrsB

I've just done my regular inventory check of all my trackable items. Going back over the last 3 years, I've released 104 trackable items to the wild. 74 of them are still out there travelling... the others are dead or MIA, but they may re-surface somewhere, one day.

MrsB :D

I had a TB make its way over to the US heading for its target cache in IOWA and then it disappeared - a year later it resurfaced in a cache only a few miles away from where it had gone. Then 2 months later it dropped out again and a further year later re-appeared miles away - I was gobsmakced it did it a second time - still got quite way to go before it reaches its destination so I am expecting it to disappear again any time soon LOL

:unsure: ON a happier note, as I have mentioned in another thread, my Abercachers racer TB only did 111 miles before disappearing off the face of the earth.

However. months later someone admitted to having found it in an old coat pocket and put it into back into circulation. It was dropped and picked up from a few more caches but the race to get the farthest had already been won. The race was now on to be first to get back home. Ironically, last week the TB that managed to get to New Zealand (the winner) was on its way home and there was only ten miles between that and mine. The holder of mine logged it in and out of several caches in a fortnight to add some mileage and then dropped it off in a "home" cache on Saturday. Thanks to the Thursday Night Gang for their assistance in moving it on and making it first to return home.

A VERY HAPPY ENDING, Now to find it another mission and let it see the world (hopefully further than the east midlands this time :yikes: )

Might send it to see my friend in Phoenix Arizona :D

Talking of people not logging their TBs - I am trying to drop off a coin (in my log - I already dropped it physically!) but its not showing on my log page.

So if that happens to people and they give up, then the coin is not shown in the right place. All the fault of the website not working correctly.

Although I have to say that I think the site is great. Generally speaking it does what you want of it.

Talking of people not logging their TBs - I am trying to drop off a coin (in my log - I already dropped it physically!) but its not showing on my log page.

If you go to post a note do you see the coin in your Drop inventory?

I forgot to drop it off when I first entered the log, so went back to edit it. The coin did not show up. In the end I had to delete the log and start again, then it showed up in my inventory. Strange! Have not had that problem before.

If you go to post a note do you see the coin in your Drop inventory?

I forgot to drop it off when I first entered the log, so went back to edit it. The coin did not show up. In the end I had to delete the log and start again, then it showed up in my inventory. Strange! Have not had that problem before.

Yeah, there's no way to edit a log to drop a traveler. You have to post a new note.

It happens. You can post a note, drop the bug and as soon as you hit submit you'll get an option to delete the log. You can delete the cache note and it won't affect the bug tracking.

The drop/fix note isn't really part of the cache history so most just delete it.

Have a look at this one I found recently :D

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...86-c133098b575a

Looks like there's a bit of a story behind that one... Care to tell us more? Like, where did you find it? :D

MrsB

That one and a few others that can be seen at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...13-5ca469728064

They were given to me by a retired cacher who likes to rescue missing tbs and get them moving.

(he of course wishs to remain to remain anonymous) :sad::D:):)

Edited by The Windsockers

That one and a few others that can be seen at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...13-5ca469728064

They were given to me by a retired cacher who likes to rescue missing tbs and get them moving.

(he of course wishs to remain to remain anonymous) :sad::D:):)

Wow!

I've just looked through the list! :D

There are going to be some very happy TB owners around when they discover their long-deceased bugs have just come back to life.

Good work :D

MrsB

Just had notification that one of our geocoins "Jessicas Kids Geocoin" has been picked up much to our amazement as it was reported as missing from a cache over 2 1/2 years ago in Aug 07 and never heard from again (until now).

It made our daughters day and she is looking forward to watching its travels again :)B):P . I wonder whats the longest time a TB/geocoin has been missing for before turning up again?

I once "liberated" a china figurine from my father's house and sent it out as the Gallivanting Gardener. He was a little apprehensive when he found out, as it was collectable, but I assured him it would be fine and he would be reunited!

Sure enough, after a few months he disappeared. Sounded like the cache he was in was muggled so I assumed the worst.

But two years later he just reappeared back in circulation! As my Dad's 60th birthday was approaching I arranged to have him posted back to me. I created a new account called AirbrushedStripy (anagram of Birthday Surprise) to hold him as my dad was watching the listing.

On his birthday we had a surprise party with Gallivanting Gardner as the guest of honour. Sounds daft but you should have seen the look on his face :)

So these tales of travel bug woe can have a happy ending....

Edited by lordelph

They've not been missing for long, but 3 of the 8 geocoins Pink-Inc and I released at WWFM V in London never even made it out of the event cache! B):):P

They belong to our children and were meant to be racing and we told people this as we gave them out.

Foolishly, we didn't keep track of who took them. Lesson learned.

I wonder if they'll turn up after a few years...