explorist210

Sondra123

Can I download different caches to my explorist or do I have to have a garmin?

Yes, so long as you have the cable to connect it to your PC.

You'll need to become a premium member to create and receive the cache file download. Also the program named GSAK will be very handy in the process.

BTW, there are no "different" caches. 100% of caches are available to all users at geocaching.com.

There is a small sub-set of caches that are viewable by premium users only.

I believe that you can still purchase the premium membership on a month to month basis until you are certain that you are in it for the long haul. GSAK may also have a try before you buy capability as well.

From the GSAK www site: I would have to say GSAK has now gone way beyond a hobby (some may say an obsession). I no longer have a full time job, and am committed totally to the future of GSAK. For this reason GSAK now displays a "nag screen" after 21 days. You may still use GSAK after 21 days, but if you wish to remove the nag screen, registration is required. It would appear there is a demand for this type of “geocaching” software, and I am just trying to meet this demand to the best of my ability. I don't expect to make a fortune out of GSAK. I just want enough registrations to stand on my own two feet and continue to develop GSAK."

To be honest, even though my Magellan has and still serves me well, if I were just starting out now, I'd invest in a suitable Garmin unit. This is mainly because the www site is essentially Garmin centric.

Edited by Team Cotati

there isn't software for the 210 called Geocache Manager. Its called MapSend, and it is a geocache manager, but its not called that. (I know, cause I've been looking for it all morning.)

Your 210 should have come with the software for MapSend. Once its installed, open it and click the second icon from the top (on the left.) This is where you will import items to your GPS. Of course you need to first download the files from the geocaching site. (If you don't have MapSend, you can download it on the magellan site, but I don't know if its free or not.)

I can't personally attest if this works, because I just figured it out myself. (I bought my 210 just a couple days ago.) But, I am going to try it right now and I will update with whether it works or not.

sondra and natenrose,

I have use an Explorist 210 for caching over the past year plus.

I am a premium member so I'm able to create Pocket Queries. These queries are then uploaded into my GSAK program (miminal cost for registration, free trial). From there I can delete the caches I decide aren't suitable or that I simply don't want to do. Once that's all done, I use the Export function on the File menu. I select 'Magellan Explorist and SD Card' from the menu. This creates a .gs file that I save to my desktop so it is easy to find. Then I connect my Explorist to the computer using the provided cable and turn the Explorist on. I have to press the joystick button and the unit goes into USB mode. Then I use the MapSend Manager's Manage GPS Files selection to Transfer the .gs file to the unit. It puts it in the Geocaches directory for me. I can go to Active Setup and select that file as my active map so the cache icons show up on the map.

Hope all of that helps you both out some. Post again if you have questions. I'll try to help out where I can.

there isn't software for the 210 called Geocache Manager. Its called MapSend, and it is a geocache manager, but its not called that. (I know, cause I've been looking for it all morning.)

Your 210 should have come with the software for MapSend. Once its installed, open it and click the second icon from the top (on the left.) This is where you will import items to your GPS. Of course you need to first download the files from the geocaching site. (If you don't have MapSend, you can download it on the magellan site, but I don't know if its free or not.)

I can't personally attest if this works, because I just figured it out myself. (I bought my 210 just a couple days ago.) But, I am going to try it right now and I will update with whether it works or not.

It is in fact called Geocache Manager. I know, because I checked. Mapsend is a set of Magellan's highly detailed street mao software.

The unit's "geocache mode' is supported by the Geocach Manager. Geocache Manager however is not required. GSAK will work with the unit and perform the necessary geocaching functionality.

okay none of the stuff i said up there was accurate.

this is how i did it. I put it all into bookmarks, then downloaded to .loc file. then i was stuck for an hour. I couldn't figure anything out. so i downloaded gsak and fiddled around with it. You can select your GPSr and then send the .loc to your device and it just magically converts them to what they should be! and its really just presto, there they are! its like david copperfield stuff!

mdplayers, i tried to run a pocket query but that confused me so i made a cup of coffee and messed around with something else for awhile. I will have to come back and learn about all that. (I don't do help folders. I like to learn it myself with trial and error.) I guess my problem with PQ is I can't figure out the point... but like I said I will come back and mess around with it.

oh, you do have to hook your unit to the computer (via USB) and put it in File Transfer Mode. there is probably some other stuff i am forgetting because I was totally just screwing around with it when i figured itout. i doubt this is helful but if you still don't have it figured out by tonight i will go back and do it step by step and tell you what it took. for now - its 70 degrees and not a cloud in the sky, we're going geocaching. <_<

okay, but where would one find geocache manager? it did not come with my gpsr and its not on the magellan software site...?

Edited by natenrose

okay none of the stuff i said up there was accurate.

this is how i did it. I put it all into bookmarks, then downloaded to .loc file. then i was stuck for an hour. I couldn't figure anything out. so i downloaded gsak and fiddled around with it. You can select your GPSr and then send the .loc to your device and it just magically converts them to what they should be! and its really just presto, there they are! its like david copperfield stuff!

mdplayers, i tried to run a pocket query but that confused me so i made a cup of coffee and messed around with something else for awhile. I will have to come back and learn about all that. (I don't do help folders. I like to learn it myself with trial and error.) I guess my problem with PQ is I can't figure out the point... but like I said I will come back and mess around with it.

oh, you do have to hook your unit to the computer (via USB) and put it in File Transfer Mode. there is probably some other stuff i am forgetting because I was totally just screwing around with it when i figured itout. i doubt this is helful but if you still don't have it figured out by tonight i will go back and do it step by step and tell you what it took. for now - its 70 degrees and not a cloud in the sky, we're going geocaching. <_<

okay, but where would one find geocache manager? it did not come with my gpsr and its not on the magellan software site...?

From a longtime geocacher with whom, on this topic, I agree:

"Yay! Best day of your life. The Magellan Geocache Manager is not widely liked. I see you're a premium member. If you're not using GSAK along with your Pocket Queries, you're missing a lot. True, Geocache Manager will get the caches on your GPS, but after the first time I used it, I never loaded it again. I'm not even sure I have my disk any more. If I do, you can have it.

Really. Use GSAK. It's so much better." :D

sondra and natenrose,

I have use an Explorist 210 for caching over the past year plus.

I am a premium member so I'm able to create Pocket Queries. These queries are then uploaded into my GSAK program (miminal cost for registration, free trial). From there I can delete the caches I decide aren't suitable or that I simply don't want to do. Once that's all done, I use the Export function on the File menu. I select 'Magellan Explorist and SD Card' from the menu. This creates a .gs file that I save to my desktop so it is easy to find. Then I connect my Explorist to the computer using the provided cable and turn the Explorist on. I have to press the joystick button and the unit goes into USB mode. Then I use the MapSend Manager's Manage GPS Files selection to Transfer the .gs file to the unit. It puts it in the Geocaches directory for me. I can go to Active Setup and select that file as my active map so the cache icons show up on the map.

Hope all of that helps you both out some. Post again if you have questions. I'll try to help out where I can.

I just found this reply--I ended up downloading the esay gps program that's working ok--With the GSKA program are you able to download information about that cache--size, difficulty and description onto your gps--or with the easygps--it always lists the cache as traditional and the difficulty level as 1 on my gps

I downloaded easygps to harddrive. then select waypoints and download to spare 4" disk drive. follow easygps to transfer to gps unit. hope this helps tboyla

I realized that I have to do a pocket query to get the more detailed information, Simply checking the box on the geocaching website and downloading it to easygps just gets me the very basic information. Have you figured out how to get a map on the easyGPS site--my caches just appear on a blank screen?

I just found this reply--I ended up downloading the esay gps program that's working ok--With the GSKA program are you able to download information about that cache--size, difficulty and description onto your gps--or with the easygps--it always lists the cache as traditional and the difficulty level as 1 on my gps

The Explorist will take some info, but that is limited. You can have coords and short hint for example. You can't go paperless with them, but you can mass load caches (200 per file) instead of hand loading them.

I downloaded easygps to harddrive. then select waypoints and download to spare 4" disk drive. follow easygps to transfer to gps unit. hope this helps tboyla

I realized that I have to do a pocket query to get the more detailed information, Simply checking the box on the geocaching website and downloading it to easygps just gets me the very basic information. Have you figured out how to get a map on the easyGPS site--my caches just appear on a blank screen?

Sondra,

Can't help you with the map thing, but if you want to just load the PQ using EasyGPS here is a tutorial I made a while back.

---------

210,400 Explorist---downloading PQ using EasyGPS.

EasyGPS is free and besides, with an Explorist, GSAK is kind of overkill because the Explorists can't load descriptions for paperless.

First, you need EasyGPS, a GC.com PQ (with less than 200 caches on it because of the 400's limit per cache file) saved to Desktop.

Right Click the saved PQ .zip file....select Open With, then EasyGPS. WHen you see the individual caches in the E-GPS screen the hints all need to be decrypted. Left click one cache, it highlights....left click EDIT at the top left of the E-GPS screen....select Select All...now left click Geocache (next to Edit at top) ....select Decrypt Hint...they all decrypt.

They are ready to send to the unit. The first time you want to send them to the Explorist using EasyGPS you have to click Edit>Preferences>Add GPS>select Magellan>Explorist(model #) so that EasyGPS can set the file correctly so that the unit can read the files you're sending it. After that first time you can just click Send. WHen you click Send a "Send to GPS" box appears....make sure Geocaches box has a green check and your "Magellan Explorist (your model #) is in the box below.....OK it. A "Save AS" box appears.

At this time connect the unit to the USB..power it up...select "File Transfer"....(Note: on a 210 you will only have the option to see Internal Memory...On 400's an above you can save in the IM or SD.)

At the top of the Save AS box look in the 'Save In' box and find whatever drive your unit shows up in once in File Transfer. (Mine shows up on drive E as a Removable Disk) Double click "Removable DisK' then double click "Geocaches" file. This is where you will save the EasyGPS cache files. Name the new file and save it there. Go to the GPS and push the joystick, select Power Only, then disconnect the unit. Now to see if the files made it push Menu, Points of Interest, Geocache Pts, Nearest To>Position and you should be able to see them.

We have the 210 and use GSAK to load everything onto it.

I use an explorist 210 as well but cant get GSAK to load my waypoints into it.

I have an explorist 210 and GSAK loads GPS with just one clic ... ??? It's the simplest thing I've ever used.

Did you select the correct GPS on GSAK>Setup?

a) Connect cable to GPS

b ) Connect cable to USB plug on PC

c) Turn on GPS ... you will have to clic on the main page ... and GPS will show a Transfer USB File mode text

d) On GSAK select whichever filter you want ... clic on GPS>Send Waypoints

and it "should" work.

Any error messages?

Edited by DeepButi