Make your gripes count!

Today I read a topic in which someone complained that when he arrived at a newly published cache 5 minutes after it was published someone had already logged it as FTF. I then read a topic in which someone asked if it was ok to log a find when he was present when the cache owner hid it.

There was lots of debate about the "ethics" of logging finds. It reminded me of other topics in which people debated what constitutes a find and when someone can "legitimately" log a find. And I thought it was all a big waste of time.

So, I came up with a GREAT idea to give meaning to all of the debate over logging finds ... Let each geocacher contribute $10 to a fund and let that fund be split between whomever makes the most finds in the course of one year and whomever makes the most FTFs in the course of that year.

Since there will now be a valuable prize for the winners it will give meaning to the debate about whether a team find is sufficient to enable every member to log a find or whether every member of the team must actually put pen to log to have made the find.

Better yet, why not ban useless FTF term/stats and stop the weekly squabbles about it.

How do you ban something that does not exist?

As far as I know Groundspeak (geocaching.com) does not recognize or track FTFs and they are not a part of your site-generated stats.

If anyone has FTF stats they were generated by third-party software and pasted by individuals into their personal profile.

Again, unless I missed something new, Groundspeak doesn't play the FTF game.

And I thought it was all a big waste of time.

So, I came up with a GREAT idea to give meaning to all of the debate over logging finds ... Let each geocacher contribute $10 to a fund and let that fund be split between whomever makes the most finds in the course of one year and whomever makes the most FTFs in the course of that year.

I'd be more comfortable if the money wasn't going directly to some other geocacher out there... Like someone else said in one of these threads, if I want to give a person money i'll just mail him a check. Let the money go to a charity of that person's choice instead :P

Anyway, I agree with your assessment that there is no reason to argue about the FTF thing because there are no rules about it and there is no gain if you rack them up... Just thought I'd add to the silliness.

This would actually cut into the debate over logging finds in a way you haven't mentioned:

Asking geocachers to contribute $10 a year for this contest would generate more angst from the quarter that seems to always be upset that there is an option of paying for a Premium Membership. :rolleyes: The extra time in the threads spawned by this action would cut into the amount of time forum regulars would have to spend on the "found/not found" type threads.

Unless the hide is extremely devious what does FTF mean?

Absolutely nothing.

Well, it means that you had the circumstances to be there before someone else. It doesn't mean anything else.

I tire of finding a cache where the FTF uses and entire page to brag about their accomplishment.

Two caches were published last week and we found both of them first. I usually sign in the back in small writing with the time we found. We waited and logged them later in the day. Sure enough two [different] people logged it as FTF on each of the caches.

Two were published in the same park around 5 hours apart. I had found the one 5 hours before (3am) and as we were rolling up for the second cache find a group was making their way back from the earlier published cache. They were thinking "Ha, we beat you to it!" I was chuckling. It's still funny. :rolleyes: Jokes on you!

I do not like your idea. B)

Those of you who do not care about ftfs will never understand why they are fun for the rest of us. Statements like "Better yet, why not ban useless FTF term/stats" are really uncalled for since they aren't useless for many. Your opinion that they are useless is just that, your opinion. Of course, like TAR said, they aren't even published on the GC.com site so they aren't anything to worry about on here anyways.

On the otherhand, and as already mentioned, there are some who take them way too seriously. We have several cachers in our area who like getting ftfs but thankfully, common sense is used by everyone who likes this friendly competition. No one, at least so far, has taken the stance that they were ftf when they were there when the cache was hidden or that had insider information and found it before it was published. Yes, i know some of you will say that ftf is ftf no matter what and technically you are right. However, the friendly competition would go right out the window if more people chose to play that way.

If ftfs are a part of gecoaching that you like, then by all means, have fun with them. Just remember not to take them too seriously. We have to realize that there will be some who think differently or who purposely want to stir the pot and these are the times when we have to just shrug it off and move on with our geocaching lives. (of course we can roll our eyes if and when it does happen :rolleyes: )..

Those of you who do not care about ftfs will never understand why they are fun for the rest of us.

Please explain it.

Maybe this is like my Dad. He thinks it is fun to find the lowest price gas. He will plan his trips around it and refuel even if he isnt near empty. Drive to a certain area because of the price? Fill up here where the line is when it is 2 cents more across the street. Do the math. Is your 24¢ worth waiting 5 minutes for. Worse yet, is it worth using fuel/wear and tear on driving there?!

It is fun to him though. He views it as a game he plays. Is it fun for him? Sure. Does that mean it makes any sense or is logical? No.

If you are saying it is fun just because of the rush then that is cool. I get that.

There was lots of debate about the "ethics" of logging finds. It reminded me of other topics in which people debated what constitutes a find and when someone can "legitimately" log a find. And I thought it was all a big waste of time.

Ok. But at least some of use have chosen to take a stand. There should be some simple minimal standards by which we live all aspects of our lives.

There those Geocachers out there that go to great lenghts to try for an FTF.

Good luck to them.

So I'm not surprised if they become somewhat annoyed by going for a cache that has already been logged

before it is hidden / published.

If it were my cache I would personally say that an FTF had already been logged on the page.

Just courtesy really. :rolleyes:

Today I read a topic in which someone complained that when he arrived at a newly published cache 5 minutes after it was published someone had already logged it as FTF. I then read a topic in which someone asked if it was ok to log a find when he was present when the cache owner hid it.

Since there will now be a valuable prize for the winners it will give meaning to the debate about whether a team find is sufficient to enable every member to log a find or whether every member of the team must actually put pen to log to have made the find.

I disagree with this. FTFs really don't exist. However they are also very real. Many people enjoy them, myself included. For those that do enjoy them, there are unspoken rules. If you don't like FTFs, I could care less, more for me.

How about is every geocacher contributes $10 to a fund and then the fund is deposited into my bank account? That would work much better, in my opinion.

I agree, but my bank accound just seems like a better idea...

StaticTank

Unless the hide is extremely devious what does FTF mean?

Absolutely nothing.

Well, it means that you had the circumstances to be there before someone else. It doesn't mean anything else.

I tire of finding a cache where the FTF uses and entire page to brag about their accomplishment.

Two caches were published last week and we found both of them first. I usually sign in the back in small writing with the time we found. We waited and logged them later in the day. Sure enough two [different] people logged it as FTF on each of the caches.

Two were published in the same park around 5 hours apart. I had found the one 5 hours before (3am) and as we were rolling up for the second cache find a group was making their way back from the earlier published cache. They were thinking "Ha, we beat you to it!" I was chuckling. It's still funny. :rolleyes: Jokes on you!

I do not like your idea. B)

'Hiding' your signature in the log book, caching at 3:00 am (if you're a shift worker, I apologize for the assumption that you're out looking for the FTF) and then chuckling that you're the "real" FTF?

Your actions don't match your opinion that FTFs mean absolutely nothing. It's obvious that FTF's are an important part of your game.

I wonder how many people active cachers who frequent ignore the threads in question, and the forums in general don't really care how someone logs posts. Perhaps it isn't about the rules but rather the debate about the rules, but actually finding caches along the way? B)

There, fixed it for ya! :):rolleyes:<_<

So, I came up with a GREAT idea to give meaning to all of the debate over logging finds ...

Here's another idea...........

Since I don't care about FTFs, how about I ignore any FTF discussion.

Anyone else who doesn't care can also ignore FTF discussions.

Anyone who does care can be FTF if they're the first to sign the log sheet, regardless of how that came about.

That would cover all possible circumstances (I think).

The issue is now resolved! Isn't life grand?

'Hiding' your signature in the log book, caching at 3:00 am (if you're a shift worker, I apologize for the assumption that you're out looking for the FTF) and then chuckling that you're the "real" FTF?

Your actions don't match your opinion that FTFs mean absolutely nothing. It's obvious that FTF's are an important part of your game.

It was less than a mile from my house. If it would have been much further I wouldn't have went. Sometimes I can't sleep and am up all night. The one at 8am my wife woke me up because she wanted to go.

FTF do mean absolutely nothing. I don't see how being one makes it suddenly something. I am mean. I get them just to spoil another's hopes or watch them do the happy dance when they are FTF. (Or not.)

Read my logs. I don't mention FTF although we have been before. Keep track of them? What for? It means nothing. The caches i mentioned earlier- neither of those finders know that they really weren't first. Want me to email them? Why wouldn't I? It means nothing.

Its not a 4 or 5 star difficulty or terrain. Then it would mean a little something.

As i said before, if it means something, please explain it. (Other than just being a simple fact.)

Does it mean that you are better cacher? No.

Does it mean that you are more skilled? No.

Does it mean that you had the circumstances to get there before anyone else? Yes.

So we are going to have a contest over circumstances? B) Ha, ha! I have better circumstances than you. banana.gif Look at me, I'm the best. Woo hoo. (Don't pull a muscle patting yourself on the back. :rolleyes: ) Sure- not everyone does this. FTF!!!!!!!!!!!!! <_<

Those of you who do not care about ftfs will never understand why they are fun for the rest of us. Statements like "Better yet, why not ban useless FTF term/stats" are really uncalled for since they aren't useless for many. Your opinion that they are useless is just that, your opinion. Of course, like TAR said, they aren't even published on the GC.com site so they aren't anything to worry about on here anyways.

On the otherhand, and as already mentioned, there are some who take them way too seriously. We have several cachers in our area who like getting ftfs but thankfully, common sense is used by everyone who likes this friendly competition. No one, at least so far, has taken the stance that they were ftf when they were there when the cache was hidden or that had insider information and found it before it was published. Yes, i know some of you will say that ftf is ftf no matter what and technically you are right. However, the friendly competition would go right out the window if more people chose to play that way.

This is an outstanding point! I couldn't care less about FTF, and am turned off over the whole thing. Although I did try for them, and engage myself in the competition a little bit my first couple of years caching (maybe 2003-2005).

I feel there is an "FTF is FTF no matter what" stance in these forums, which is unproportional to what exists out there in the field. If people are giving their buddies the coords to the cache before publishing, and their buddy is all up in people's faces with a "Woohoo!! FTF!!" type log, there is going to be some serious angst and geo-drama out in the field, no matter where it happens.

Am I even posting to the right thread here? :)

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Am I even posting to the right thread here? :)

Yeah, I banned myself from the pages where this was discussed and ran into it again here.

I burned my soapbox so now have to just stand on my toes to get my point across, so now I can't go to those pages.

No wonder Groundspeak doesn't deal with these. Now I see why. Those guys have a lot figured out for sure!

Let's go back to debating ammo cans VS tupperware.

Hey if I want to go for a FTF why not? If you think about it the whole of geocaching is just a pointless excercise! What do you get? Nothing. You could just walk around the block if you wanted to get fit.

I love both geocaching and ftf it's my right to love them, you do not have to do them but please do not mock people for wanting to! Both of them I do for FUN it does not have to be for some reason, just because I enjoy it is enough for me.

PS: Of 525 finds only 2 have been FTF just do not seem to react fast enough as we are a family team, but still love them when I stumble onto one.

... If people are giving their buddies the coords to the cache before publishing, and their buddy is all up in people's faces with a "Woohoo!! FTF!!" type log, there is going to be some serious angst and geo-drama out in the field, no matter where it happens.
I bet that this is an incredibly rare scenario. Either way, I believe that it would generate more ridicule than true angst. Edited by sbell111

We have a local cacher sho gets many FTFs. They log it the same way that mature NASCAR drivers celebrate after a race. (Burton, Martin, etc,) They slowly drive around and wave. None of this burnout crap. that the young guys do

"Signed fresh log book." Classy way of logging but not making a big deal of it. They dont even mention it in their log. No FTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I think that is classy.

Being FTF is cool, and you should try it sometime. It's ok, just dont brag about it. Thats not cool, dude.

Two were published in the same park around 5 hours apart. I had found the one 5 hours before (3am) and as we were rolling up for the second cache find a group was making their way back from the earlier published cache. They were thinking "Ha, we beat you to it!" I was chuckling. It's still funny. :unsure: Jokes on you!

So, you hid your signiture to fool other folks. Then you waited to post your find on the website. All you really did was open a debate as to who was really FTF.

Whomever signs on the first line/page of the log can claim FTF. Now you come along and say, "NO, I signed in the back with the time I was there." Well anyone can sign and write a time on the last page after a FTF has signed on the first page. I don't think you have any proof. You may have been FTF, you may not have.

Some people enjoy the competition of being FTF. I see nothing wrong with that. They are just having fun.

Asking geocachers to contribute $10 a year for this contest would generate more angst from the quarter that seems to always be upset that there is an option of paying for a Premium Membership. :unsure:

(my highlight)

??????? :D

What does that "accusation" have to do with the OP? Are you so fixated on the fact that some of us are not paying members that you have to take a cheap shot at us even when it is irrelevant to the discussion? :D

I am truly disappointed at how many geocachers did not recognize I was mocking those who worry about whether someone else "deserves" a smiley or not.

Now, be honest, who among you realized my proposal was tongue in cheek?

I am just glad that the one guy who wanted me to consider the TAX CONSEQUENCES of my proposal spoke to me rather than started posting about it. There is no telling where the discussion would have ended up.

I am so disappointed.

Asking geocachers to contribute $10 a year for this contest would generate more angst from the quarter that seems to always be upset that there is an option of paying for a Premium Membership. :unsure:
(my highlight)

??????? :D

What does that "accusation" have to do with the OP? Are you so fixated on the fact that some of us are not paying members that you have to take a cheap shot at us even when it is irrelevant to the discussion? :D

Sorry, it was not a jab at non-premium members at all. The real purpose of my post was to poke fun at the OP. If you didn't take the one sentence out of context, you would read that my point was that following the OP's suggestion would have the intended effect of reducing debate over logging practices by forcing those in the debate to participate in a different debate. It was irony aimed at the irony in the OP. :D

As a PM, I rely heavily on some of the PM features like PQs and Bookmark Lists. I respect non-PMs who manage to get by without those features, much in the same way an alcoholic might admire someone who has been sober for a long period of time. :D

Sorry, it was not a jab at non-premium members at all. The real purpose of my post was to poke fun at the OP. If you didn't take the one sentence out of context, you would read that my point was that following the OP's suggestion would have the intended effect of reducing debate over logging practices by forcing those in the debate to participate in a different debate. It was irony aimed at the irony in the OP. :unsure:

As a PM, I rely heavily on some of the PM features like PQs and Bookmark Lists. I respect non-PMs who manage to get by without those features, much in the same way an alcoholic might admire someone who has been sober for a long period of time. :D

Accepted and noted. Thanks for the clarification. :D

So, you hid your signiture to fool other folks. Then you waited to post your find on the website. All you really did was open a debate as to who was really FTF.

Whomever signs on the first line/page of the log can claim FTF. Now you come along and say, "NO, I signed in the back with the time I was there." Well anyone can sign and write a time on the last page after a FTF has signed on the first page. I don't think you have any proof. You may have been FTF, you may not have.

Some people enjoy the competition of being FTF. I see nothing wrong with that. They are just having fun.

Um, not at all. You can check if you like. What would be the point of that?

I never told them they weren't FTF. My log says the time, but others had already logged their [supposed] FTF logs. They still think they are FTF. I'm not emailing them. It's funny. :unsure:

Why would i need proof. Who cares! :D FTF is nothing other than who is first to find. Whoopee do. Would they believe it? If they wanted to be FTF then probably not. I know when I was there though and when i signed the log. Go look if you like.

Plus, I dont like to log any new caches right away because it is more likely to get found more if it has no logs. Hiders like to see logs, so I wait to log mine.

The competition is fine. That is cool. I just don't like when people brag about it (or anything else).

It (my post) was irony aimed at the irony in the OP. :unsure:
Actually, it was sarcasm, which is similar. And, if you did get it, there was no need for you to aim irony or sarcasm at me. But, whatever...
I was pointing my irony at the OP, as in Original Post, not at you the Original Poster. If you don't want someone to respond to your post in a sarcastic or ironic* way, maybe you shouldn't be sarcastic yourself.

*At times, sarcasm and irony are more than similar, according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

sarcasm: 1: a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain.

2 a: a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b: the use or language of sarcasm

Um, not at all. You can check if you like. What would be the point of that?

I never told them they weren't FTF. My log says the time, but others had already logged their [supposed] FTF logs. They still think they are FTF. I'm not emailing them. It's funny. :unsure:

Why would i need proof. Who cares! :D FTF is nothing other than who is first to find. Whoopee do. Would they believe it? If they wanted to be FTF then probably not. I know when I was there though and when i signed the log. Go look if you like.

Plus, I dont like to log any new caches right away because it is more likely to get found more if it has no logs. Hiders like to see logs, so I wait to log mine.

The competition is fine. That is cool. I just don't like when people brag about it (or anything else).

It's funny to you i suppose but i'm not sure how funny it is to others. You may be right and your actions may not hurt anything, but they certainly aren't helping anything either. From my viewpoint and weighing everything that you've stated, i would say that there is a better chance that your actions would stir things up rather than not.

You say that ftfs, the ftf competition, etc,,, is not important for you. Nothing wrong at all with feeling this way about this aspect of geocaching. But if this is true, then why try to sneak your signature into a logbook and then wait to log? Also, why does it bother you for someone to brag about something you say you could care less about?

I get a kick out of being the FTSNL (First To Sign New Log) when the old one is full. Something about a blank logbook fires me up and it takes some energy and guess work to figure out how to do. Haven't figured out how to run a PQ for it.
Perhaps you could have GSAK run a filter looking for recent owner maintenance logs? You'd have to review the results, because owner maint. does not equate to a new log every time, but...

:huh:

:P

:(

:lol:

It's funny to you i suppose but i'm not sure how funny it is to others. You may be right and your actions may not hurt anything, but they certainly aren't helping anything either. From my viewpoint and weighing everything that you've stated, i would say that there is a better chance that your actions would stir things up rather than not.

You say that ftfs, the ftf competition, etc,,, is not important for you. Nothing wrong at all with feeling this way about this aspect of geocaching. But if this is true, then why try to sneak your signature into a logbook and then wait to log? Also, why does it bother you for someone to brag about something you say you could care less about?

You can't stir anything up if no one knows. :( Not too many locals on here.

I wait to log because i know that owners like logs. If the GC page shows no logs then more people are likely to search for it that day and the owner may get more logs.

I don't like bragging in general. (FTF or otherwise.) It is rude and pompous. The greatest man who ever lived didn't brag.

By the way. I am not the only one who has done this. Cruise the boards.

I don't rush out the house looking for the FTF's. For one it's a waste of gas. I have two FTF's that are memorable. My first one and the first one out of my home State. All the others have been my pure luck. I'll put in my log FTF. Other than that I don't get too excited over it.

You can't stir anything up if no one knows. :( Not too many locals on here.

I wait to log because i know that owners like logs. If the GC page shows no logs then more people are likely to search for it that day and the owner may get more logs.

I don't like bragging in general. (FTF or otherwise.) It is rude and pompous. The greatest man who ever lived didn't brag.

By the way. I am not the only one who has done this. Cruise the boards.

And this is how we all see things different. I think it's more rude to purposely hold back on logging, knowing that there are cachers out there interested in getting a ftf. While i'm here, and speaking as a cache owner, i don't want anyone doing this with any of my caches. I'll take logs as they come in.

I do agree with you that i don't care for lots of bragging either. But,,, this pretty much goes for things i'm interested in. I really do not give a hoot if someone goes on about something i could care less about. Yes, bragging can be annoying, and i guess considered somehwat rude when it's done over and over. Still, i guess i just don't let that stuff bug me as much as you and others let it.

Oh, and i know you aren't the only one. If the Manofstripes, i think that's his name, see's this, he'll back you 100%... :huh:

Edited by Mudfrog
I get a kick out of being the FTSNL (First To Sign New Log) when the old one is full. Something about a blank logbook fires me up and it takes some energy and guess work to figure out how to do. Haven't figured out how to run a PQ for it.
Perhaps you could have GSAK run a filter looking for recent owner maintenance logs? You'd have to review the results, because owner maint. does not equate to a new log every time, but...

:huh:

:P

:(

:lol:

I don't rush out the house looking for the FTF's. For one it's a waste of gas. I have two FTF's that are memorable. My first one and the first one out of my home State. All the others have been my pure luck. I'll put in my log FTF. Other than that I don't get too excited over it.

There have been a few times when we've rushed out of the house to try for them but i don't normally get overly excited about them. To me, the fun in trying for them comes when i know that a friendly competition is going on. Like you, i try to add "ftf" in the log some place but thats about as far as i go. I mainly do this so that i can use gsak or some other program to sort them out if i ever want to.

And this is how we all see things different. I think it's more rude to purposely hold back on logging, knowing that there are cachers out there interested in getting a ftf. While i'm here, and speaking as a cache owner, i don't want anyone doing this with any of my caches. I'll take logs as they come in.

You will probably get better logs from those who aren't rushing to be FTF. That is true.

As a cache owner, i wouldn't mind someone waiting to log. It seems those who rush out for FTF might be more interested in the smiley than the total caching experience. Its OK. All of our caches aren't easy smileys so the logs are kind of few and far between.