How many of us are pilots?

No longer current, but dreaming about it every day!

Maybe someday I will be able to afford it again.

I once owned a Cessna 150 (the really old one with no rear window,,,,, 1959 I think??).

Oh yeah, I also built and flew my own gyrocopter. Crashed and totaled it, but I'd do it again in a heart beat!

Edited by 1XL-on-XR650L

Hey everyone!

I was just wondering how many of us are pilots! If so, are you members of the EAA as well? If you don't mind, I would like to see what type of plane you fly!

Thanks,

nutz4aviation - Avid Flyer Speedwing MKIV

Sadly, no longer able to be PIC... my eyes are too bad for the last many years... I had private glider, power for single, VFR, as well as Parachuting C licence, including Instructor and Rigger. Still try to get air time when possible as 'skilled' passenger. Reality is that I never did get that many hours 'driving'. But I did get a bunch... also spent time helping teach groundschool for RCAirCadets as well as other subjects.

Good idea for a thread. I wonder if there are any aviation related caches... not just crash sites and airport TB hotels... fine for those of course, but ones you actually have no choice but to fly in and hopefully out of.

We have one near here, where the preferred access is by helicopter, but you can hike and drive from the other side of the mountain range... I haven't got that one yet... if ever. But you don't have to 'aviate' to do it. Something of a navigation exercise problem and or multi type would be in order... but not to much work or time commitment, or most would not be able to do it... eg rental pilots.

Doug

I'm not even remotely a pilot, but I cache with one sometimes. His screen name is PilotJ (his wife is "Crew") hence why most of his logs are signed by PilotJ and Crew. He is a 'nam vet chopper pilot and is retired from flying a medical evac chopper. I have a lot of respect for him as a vet, a pilot and an amazing cacher...I'm competing with him to get to 1000 caches by the end of the year. We both started January with our 300th milestones so we've been in heated competition for a while, but he is VERY generous with giving me clues on caches he has found.

Earned a private pilots license years ago, saved the money to buy a plane, but then discovered it was only the beginning of the expenses. :rolleyes: Then along came children and more of life's little responsibilities...

It's been many years since I've flown, hope to be able to get back into it one of these days.

~erik~

I also built and flew my own gyrocopter. Crashed and totaled it, but I'd do it again in a heart beat!

Personally I would try not to do that part again. :) I knew a guy who had a gyrocopter, it looked like a lot of fun, I'd fly one given the chance.

I've got around 50 hours in a Cessna 150. I haven't been flying in some time and I miss it. I soloed at 16 before I drove a car by my myself though, so I almost learned to fly before I learned to drive.

Washed out flying N2S Steermans biplanes in WWII. Owned two airplanes, Piper P 140 and a Piper Archer. I have a commercial, instrument, ground school, float plane and the wife has a private. Our son Tom who lives in Alaska is a captain on a 747-400 for Atlas Cargo.

He owns a Super cub on skiis right now and then wheels and then floats in the summer. Tom's daughter Leighann has a private and float plane rating. I am now 84 and no longer can pass the physical. We made five trips to Alaska in our planes from Bremerton WA to Fairbanks, AK. We do miss flying. Dick

Hi there!

I haven't got my pilot license yet, but I'm doing my best to get it before summer - I'm about halfway done. I fly one of those small 2-seat airplanes whose max. weight is about 500 kg. Think they're called Light-sport aircraft in the US. Ultra Light is the Swedish term.

I also plan to extend my license for landing on water - Sweden is full of lakes and coasts - to be able to use it when geocacing. Not all caches reside near an airstrip. :)

I fly the EMB-120 Brasilia for SkyWest Airlines out on the west coast. Some layovers are much better suited for caching than others, it's usually just luck of the draw since I'm relegated to caching on foot when on a trip. My favorite has probably been Spokane, WA since there are TONS of very cool caches within walking distance of our motel. I'm in Bakersfield tonight and it just so happens that there are a couple hides close by specifically named for crews (Airline Crew Cache #1 & #2) placed by a fellow SkyWester, so that's a neat idea.

As far as caches that are accessible to strictly pilots though, I can't think of any. They would probably have to be either on a private location or very small/remote, otherwise you'd start raising suspicions of those around the airport in this post-9/11 world. I'm thinking fixed-wing though...I would love to have a helicopter at my disposal, I'd come up with all sorts of ridiculous places to put a cache!

Howdy. I'm a lowly SEL pilot, and it isn't my day job. I fly a Cessna Caravan on floats...in my dreams! Got my PPL when I was 19 (early 1990s) at KFNL & KGXY in Northern Colorado. Like many pilots, learned to navigate with an "analog" E6B, VORs, and NDBs, and of course, good ol' dead reckoning. Lots of fun and memorable flying experiences in the Rocky Mountains, including landing on ranch roads and farm fields.

Wow--the GPSr I use to geocache is more sophisticated than the systems in the planes I learned to fly back then!

I am a SEL pilot. I am in a flying club and we have a Cessna 172 Skyhawk and a Piper Cherokee. Started flying in 1976 but as I was in the merchant marines I wasn't home enough to complete my training. Had everything for my check ride in 1982 except for 2 hours of night flying. Started my training again in 1999 and got my license in 2000. Been punching holes in the sky ever since. Love it!

Ragtime