Help please?

I am trying to find an affordable handheld GPS unit that I can purchase for geocaching The main reason is that A) I don't have much money, and :P this is going to be for the teenagers in my neighborhood to do something other than buy drugs and skip school. If any can help with a low cost or donated unit with a charger it would be most appreciated. Please contact me at psychoticvp@comcast.net A big thank you in advance,

Miriam Davis of West Valley City, UT

Are you working as part of a non-profit organization? If not I think you might find that hooking up with one to promote your idea of Geocaching as a positive and educational diversion might prove fruitful.

Consider contacting local chapters of Boys and Girls Clubs, Local Recreation Board (Parks and Rec for example), churches, etc.. Maybe others would have ideas of organizations that might help.

You might even chekc with the local schools in your area. There may be someone there that is already involved in Geocaching and the equipment you need may be readily available if you are interesting in providing the guidance and programming skills.

Are you working as part of a non-profit organization? If not I think you might find that hooking up with one to promote your idea of Geocaching as a positive and educational diversion might prove fruitful.

Consider contacting local chapters of Boys and Girls Clubs, Local Recreation Board (Parks and Rec for example), churches, etc.. Maybe others would have ideas of organizations that might help.

You might even chekc with the local schools in your area. There may be someone there that is already involved in Geocaching and the equipment you need may be readily available if you are interesting in providing the guidance and programming skills.

Not part of a non-profit...some of the kids in my neighborhood were informed by others kids; in my building; that I am a recovering drug addict with more than 20 yrs off of drugs and they are looking up to me as a mentor to help them stay off drugs as well. They wish to, for the most part, remain anon. as most of their parents are totally clueless as to the drugs these kids have used...from pot to cocaine....I am not very good at making a presentation so I wouldn't really be a good candidate for going to these non-profits to make a case for geocaching, I just know that it would give these kids something to A) keep their minds occupied on weekends, and <_< teach them some team and navigation skills

I'm with andynshe on this too. If you can't go local & find the needs for these kids then why come & ask good folks from around the world???

Plus, You have a profile that is New & with no finds or hides under your belt. Hard to believe this post to be nothing but a scam or spam.

But you should go local with it for the help & not here. Just the way I feel, Sorry.

Hope you find the help.

I'm with andynshe on this too. If you can't go local & find the needs for these kids then why come & ask good folks from around the world???

Plus, You have a profile that is New & with no finds or hides under your belt. Hard to believe this post to be nothing but a scam or spam.

But you should go local with it for the help & not here. Just the way I feel, Sorry.

Hope you find the help.

I can understand where you are coming from on that. The kids and I went caching this weekend-with a loaned Magellan unit. They had fun, though they didn't find the caches they were looking for, they said they will try again this coming weekend. The reason I came here was due to some friends that recommended this site. They are NOT geocachers themselves, but had known of the website. It was not spam nor scam...just someone with low funds, who wants to help some neighborhood kids stay out of the drug scene, as I wished someone had done for me so many years ago.

If you'd like to help, fine, if not, tis your choice and yours alone. may the Goddess bless and protect all on their caching adventures.

Miriam

Hope you find the help.

I can understand where you are coming from on that. The kids and I went caching this weekend-with a loaned Magellan unit. They had fun, though they didn't find the caches they were looking for, they said they will try again this coming weekend. The reason I came here was due to some friends that recommended this site. They are NOT geocachers themselves, but had known of the website. It was not spam nor scam...just someone with low funds, who wants to help some neighborhood kids stay out of the drug scene, as I wished someone had done for me so many years ago.

If you'd like to help, fine, if not, tis your choice and yours alone. may the Goddess bless and protect all on their caching adventures.

Miriam

This thread should now be considered closed. AThe kids and I have been able to borrow a GPS from an executive at my old company. Bless you Skip! IF the weather here in Salt Lake City will cooperate this weekend, I m taking 3 of the kids caching for the first time! They will be hunting for 'Ballard Mag' and 'The Big Easy.' Please wish Danny, Gilberto and Sean luck on their first hunt!

To the one person that offered the GPS in May, you are a Godsend to these kids and an angel. Pay it Forward!