Etrex Vs gpsmap 60cx

air28uk

hey there guys and gals

looking for some advice if i may

i currently have the etrex venture (the old green sparkly one (hmm why is it sparkly!?)) and i am thinking of upgrading to the gpsmap 60 cx because ive read in a few places the quadra-helix antenna is better in trees and cover (i was caching and my venture just said no, lol.)

so is the 60cx better than say the equivalent etrex version , because on paper they roughly do the same thing just difference in weight and size.

or is maggellan better !?!?! arrrghhhhhh so many choices

many thanks

Alistair :P

I've cached alongside users of various Etrex mapping models with my 60CX, and I almost always have more accurate coords then they do. The unit locks on to the signal better and bounces less. In some cases, such as under heavy tree cover, I have a reading with 20 ft accuracy where my Etrex equipped partner has no signal at all. I even get readings indoors if I'm reasonably close to a window. I love caching with this unit.

i currently have the etrex venture (the old green sparkly one (hmm why is it sparkly!?)) and i am thinking of upgrading to the gpsmap 60 cx because ive read in a few places the quadra-helix antenna is better in trees and cover (i was caching and my venture just said no, lol.)

For some real-world testing of a Summit HC under really bad reception conditions (how does stuffed in a backpack, locked in the boot of a car sound?), check out my Post #92 in this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...8665&st=50#

While the quad-helix antenna MAY be theoretically better than a patch antenna (I am not a telecommunications expert, so I wouldn't know), I am not convinced that it makes any real-world difference for practical consumer applications. What really DOES make a difference is getting a unit with a high-sensitivity receiver.

Hope this helps!

Edited by julianh