Insta-Notify Problem?

two bison

Is there a problem with the Insta-Notify? I have not received notices of the last couple of traditional caches placed within the radius I specified. Are others having a problem with this lately?

There seems to be at least an intermittent problem. I've received several new-cache notifications over the past week, but never was notified when a friend had four new caches published in the last four or five days within five miles of my location. This friend finally called me and asked why I hadn't even tried to FTF her new caches. Tough to do when I never get the notification. :P

--Larry

This is happening in TN, FL as well. I think it must be a national thing. I have missed about 14 caches that are new due to not having the notification.

I placed 4 caches, and out of the 4 , only 1 had an instant notification.

Can someone please provide an update?

Thanks,

Kelinore aka Kelley

I haven't received any notifications for new caches for the past 2-3 days ( I'm in Ohio if it makes a difference). Also, since the last update a few months ago I've noticed that the site is a lot slower and seems to be down a lot more than it used to be.

I haven't received any notifications for new caches for the past 2-3 days ( I'm in Ohio if it makes a difference). Also, since the last update a few months ago I've noticed that the site is a lot slower and seems to be down a lot more than it used to be.

+1 The site is ungodly slow since you did your updates, plus now notifications not coming up. What's up with this guys?

Is there a problem with the Insta-Notify? I have not received notices of the last couple of traditional caches placed within the radius I specified. Are others having a problem with this lately?

I haven't received any either. I posted this earlier this week and haven't heard back either. That post got off topic anyway.

StaticTank

I'm in Wisconsin and have not received new cache notifications or notifications when my own caches have been visited. My watch list does not provide notifications either. I'd have to say that I have not been notified in months rather than weeks or days. What gives?

I'm in Wisconsin and have not received new cache notifications or notifications when my own caches have been visited. My watch list does not provide notifications either. I'd have to say that I have not been notified in months rather than weeks or days. What gives?

I just noticed that emails from caches on my watched bookmarks aren't coming through either.

StaticTank

Long Story Short... The Hampsters in the e-mail server are ALL working overtime.

The saying in the industry is "You can only squeeze so much sand through the beaker at a time. Your grain is in the hopper."

What that means is that the server shooting out Hundreds, Thousands of e-mails per minute, and that it is overwhelmed. The way I understand the makeup is that there is 1 server for ALL Groundspeak e-mail(Correct me if I'm wrong). Your e-mail is in the que(like a print job you send to a printer), and will get to you when it does.

I will ALSO Assume that sometime in the near future, Nobody will get e-mails for a few Hours while they do a complete reset/ re-configuration of the e-mail server(and make it 2 servers)

The Steaks

*NOT Admin, but reads other threads, and knows computers*

What that means is that the server shooting out Hundreds, Thousands of e-mails per minute, and that it is overwhelmed. The way I understand the makeup is that there is 1 server for ALL Groundspeak e-mail(Correct me if I'm wrong). Your e-mail is in the que(like a print job you send to a printer), and will get to you when it does.

I will ALSO Assume that sometime in the near future, Nobody will get e-mails for a few Hours while they do a complete reset/ re-configuration of the e-mail server(and make it 2 servers)

That may explain hours delays but NOT days and weeks.

We had a cache publish yesterday but we never received notification that it published and nobody else did either. Then another cache published but again no notifications. It would seem as though all the money Groundspeak brings in they could afford to feed the squirrels a little more. Maybe even one of the admins could stop by the forum from time to time and let everyone know what the problem is. This happens way to often for an operation this big.

That may explain hours delays but NOT days and weeks.

Agreed! New caches came out last Sunday, it is now Thursday and I am getting newer emails but not those. did they get lost? Is it working now? Am I going to get ALL of my emails?

StaticTank

If you didn't get them at the time they were sent out, then chances are you're not going to get them. We've been doing a lot of system maintenance lately so that might explain that gap on Sunday.

-Raine

So does this mean then Raine that we WILL start to get them again once you've performed more maint?

Kelley

If you didn't get them at the time they were sent out, then chances are you're not going to get them. We've been doing a lot of system maintenance lately so that might explain that gap on Sunday.

-Raine

So does this mean then Raine that we WILL start to get them again once you've performed more maint?

Kelley

I have notifications set up for both my home and work email addresses and last nite I got a notification for a new cache at my work email, but not at my home email address. Hopefully this gets resolved soon as it's extremely frustrating having to do a query for new caches several times a day. It's also a big hit on the database with everyone doing that so it's slowing down the site even more so than it has been lately.

OK....I found where all of mine are going. They are being marked as SPAM. My Yahoo account seems to automatically think that they are spam. Now to try and figure out how to get them to my regular mailbox again. I never marked them as SPAM to begin with.

Yahoo thinks you aren't smart enough to think for yourself and decided for you :)

This is happening in TN, FL as well. I think it must be a national thing. I have missed about 14 caches that are new due to not having the notification.

I placed 4 caches, and out of the 4 , only 1 had an instant notification.

Can someone please provide an update?

Thanks,

Kelinore aka Kelley

Maybe that explains why you didn't get FTF on my latest cache. :)

Also, this problem has another manifestation: I am not getting email notices when someone logs a find on one of my caches.

Spotty at best in Arizona. In the last 2 days, 5 new caches and I received e mails on only 2 in my set radius of 30 miles. Go to your notification setup edit page and you will see this: Please note: This is not a substitution for searching the web site. You may miss some logs due to site maintainence, bugs, or lunar eclipses. As the first one to know you may know too soon. So consider yourself forwarned.

Looks like they don't know why it doesn't work. Lunar eclipses??? Might as well include solar flares and the stock market fluctuations.

<_<

Spotty at best in Arizona. In the last 2 days, 5 new caches and I received e mails on only 2 in my set radius of 30 miles. Go to your notification setup edit page and you will see this: Please note: This is not a substitution for searching the web site. You may miss some logs due to site maintainence, bugs, or lunar eclipses. As the first one to know you may know too soon. So consider yourself forwarned.

Looks like they don't know why it doesn't work. Lunar eclipses??? Might as well include solar flares and the stock market fluctuations.

:D

Same thing for me in Qc for about 2 weeks.

I think it may depend on your email address. I have my account going to a personal email account, the last email from the site was on 4/10. I tried a pocket query and never received it, after 10 min I copied the query and changed the email to yahoo and reran. Yahoo email received the message almost instantly. I think there is something going on with email servers at hosting/isp's that is filtering emails. Try changing your emails to yahoo or something else and see if they work. I also do not think this is a geocaching.com issue. I had the same issue with another server via miva merchant sending a report out.

I've found that it sometimes :unsure: helps to go into the "Instanotify" Notification Service page, turn off all the notifications, and completely exit the GC.com web site. Then log back in, go to the "Instanotify" Notification Service page, and turn on all the notifications.

Edited by W8TTS

I am still having this problem. I placed a new cache yesterday, got the publish notification, but it has been found at least twice now and I haven't received the typical emails I get with all my other caches when people post log entries.

I see there are multiple threads started about this issue. Yes, I have been having the same issues with watch lists and owner logs. For most people I truly believe it is not an ISP or e-mail delivery issue. Up until a few weeks ago everything was fine - got all the e-mails from GC/Groundspeak. Now I only get about 30-40% of the e-mails that should have been sent.

I host my own e-mail server and spam filtering. There are no logs about failed attempts to deliver. According to my end, the e-mail never existed.

I'd be happy to help troubleshoot this issue if needed.

Thanks!

We are in The Netherlands - definitely oversees - international.

Last weekend our 4th cache came online. I had notifications as usual.

Then caching began and 5 founds were registered. But I only received 3 OwnerLogs.

I learned from a fellowcacher that they have the same problems already some time.

It is annoing, since I would like to know by mail (not by reading the listing) if something is wrong with my caches. So I hope it can be solved ... soon perhaps.

Of course it is a mega system, with thousends of mail per day. So, then you may expect that so now and then something goes wrong, but this seems to be too often, unfortunately.

Let keep the hope and await good news from the vollunteers!! Thanks guys!

-Marco

Add us to the list...

Out here in the boonies, new caches come sporadically at best. Lately, though, neither I nor a caching friend from the Columbia, MO, area has gotten the new cache notification email for the last couple of new caches to be published in our area. Both caches were well within our 50-mile radius.

This has happened sporadically in the past but it has gotten worse. Would resetting our notifications help? Any ideas?

I had this issue, too. So it isn't national, strictly :laughing:

Now the issue reversed: I =do= get a Publish email on one of my caches, but the cache page says the cache has not been reviewed yet. One of my fellow cachers can see the page just fine.

There must be a webserver with a hiccup.

Since the last update, I've started getting the same problem.

Same problem over here (Netherlands).

Two caches both published in Belgium last weekend, both well within the insta-notify radius, less than one mile apart from each other.

One insta-notify mail from cache no. 1 in my mailbox, NO insta-notify from no. 2 less than 24 hours later.

It's definitely not a spambox-problem, neither a provider or email problem.

A friend of mine has noticed the same problem with the same two caches.

Problem has been going on since a month or so, new caches keep appearing on the maps, received notification of most of them, but there are several caches without any instanotify message at all.

Hope this can be solved.

Greetz, Bloodwoosj.