Survey Disk

Fred Flintstone

I spent the day in the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert in Arizona. I spotted a survey disk on the side of the road. I have tried to find out information about this disk. The disk is marked US DOT FHWA Denver Colorado. I know it was placed sometime after the mid 1960s. Also marked on the disk is PT 1199 + 9694 and the number 50. I thought the Identifier was PT 50 but I could not find any info on that ID. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have a good pic but can't figure out how to upload it to the forum.

Thank you.

Fred -

Could you provide just a bit more info - did you manage to get the disk's cooridinates? If you don't have coordinates, could you describe its location? Something like "One the east side of the road, about 1.5 miles north of the Painted Desert Visitors' Center and about three-quarters of a mile north of the Tiponi Point overlook."

Will

That's a reference point to a control point on the highway. There should be a second directly on the opposite side of the highway. The mid point of a line stretched between the two would give you the point on the centerline of the highway.

Point of Tangency (PT) 119996.94 feet from the beginning of the highway project.

Federal Highway Works Administration was the agency responsible for road construction inside National Park, National Forests, reservations, etc.

Hope this helps

JBAndersen

Thanks for the Information. The Coords are N 35 03.049 W 109 48.276 Accuracy 17' North of interstate 40 about 20' from the road side, east side of Petrified Forest Rd. Also, this disk is about 250' south of what would have been the old Route 66 rd along the straight part of the road.

Edited by Fred Flintstone