can we get a different map icon for micros/nanos?

WHO-DEY

I am not a micro/nano fan. I cache with my son 99% of the time. He is 5 and likes swag. So my GPX files omit nanos and micros. But there are plenty in my area. If I am on my own, over lunch etc, I may want to find a nano/micro. I love Caching. I have an Oregon 400t. The map view rocks. If I could look at the map view and see an icon that would tell if a cache was a traditional ro a micro/nano...I could make a choice to go or not. Instead, I now have to open the desription page on each and every one and see what size it is is noted. Here is my idea:

geocaching.com needs to create and use a new icon, as you have done for mystery's/multi's etc but this time for Micros/nano's. Why not? I am sure that I am not alone on this. :P

feedback? agree? disagree?

The map shows in icon for the type of cache it is. Treasure box for Traditional, Question mark for Unknown, etc.

Since "Micro" is a size and not a "Type", I doubt it could work.

Also, since you can have "Micro" puzzles and "Micro" milties, what icons would they get?

This is the same problem every time "Micro" is brought up as being a different "type" of cache.

Micro is a size - as is small and regular and large.

Multi, tradtional, puzzle - are types - and have thier own icons.

See the difference??

Also - just a note - take up the display icons on your particular unit with the manufacturer of the unit - not Groundspeak.

STARBRAND - The disply icons have nothing to do with Garmin or any other mfg. They are displaying what geocaching.com dictates.

I understand that they are a size. And i understand that the pie is sliced based on type. that is why I am suggesting this. As a CHANGE. So many posts are about the difference in Micro and Nano .vs regular/traditional. They are totally different hunts. Kids do NOT like micro's/nanos for the most part. Why not make a distinction. Do I look for a wad of paper the size of my fingernail...or a box.

As Allanon said...it is brought up as an issue. I see it as well. So why not make a distinction?

STARBRAND - The disply icons have nothing to do with Garmin or any other mfg. They are displaying what geocaching.com dictates.

ummmmm - take a peek inside a GPX file - where exactly do you see the icon specified??

I'll save you some time - it isn't there. The manufacturer of the unit interpretes the data and chooses what icon to display. You can even override it and choose your own on many units.

Having said that - you could convince Garmin to interpret micros differently and assign a special icon to them. Groundspeak won't have to do a thing.

I understand that they are a size. And i understand that the pie is sliced based on type. that is why I am suggesting this. As a CHANGE. So many posts are about the difference in Micro and Nano .vs regular/traditional. They are totally different hunts. Kids do NOT like micro's/nanos for the most part. Why not make a distinction. Do I look for a wad of paper the size of my fingernail...or a box.

As Allanon said...it is brought up as an issue. I see it as well. So why not make a distinction?

I know your frustrated with this but I seriously doubt Groundspeak will change the distinction between types and sizes. I know I don't want them to.

Your best bet is to run and load a PQ without micros for when you are caching with your son. Run and load a different PQ with Micros for yourself.

ummmmm - take a peek inside a GPX file - where exactly do you see the icon specified??

I'll save you some time - it isn't there. The manufacturer of the unit interpretes the data and chooses what icon to display. You can even override it and choose your own on many units.

Having said that - you could convince Garmin to interpret micros differently and assign a special icon to them. Groundspeak won't have to do a thing.

how can the manufacturer change an icon when the file that is sent for a traditional is no different than the file sent for a micro/nano? The file creeator dictates the file type. In my case, Garmin just take that file and displays as directed by the file type in the GPX. You are suggesting the mfg reads something that is not there.

I know your frustrated with this but I seriously doubt Groundspeak will change the distinction between types and sizes. I know I don't want them to.

Your best bet is to run and load a PQ without micros for when you are caching with your son. Run and load a different PQ with Micros for yourself.

You may be right. But if we (I) do not ask, then how can we ever know if it is an issue worth Groudspeak considering.

That is the reality I am in now. I do different PQ's. It is a pain when you have a family and are working full time to stop, remove, add PQ's. I am not really asking for a diffferent image...maybe color the top of the box icon orange or red.... :P

Can you not manually change the icon in your GPSr?

I can. and the 400t has loads of icons. but I upload GPX files weekly (sometimes daily) and o change them manually is not really an option based on how I use the existing tools Groundspeak has designed. :P

I use a GSAK macro to change the cache type of micros into Webcams, then export a GPX file into the Colorado. Since I filter webcams out of my pocket queries, if I see the icon I know it's a micro.

warning! This macro can be very destructive if you apply it to the wrong GSAK database!

#*******************************************
# MacVersion = 1.0
# MacDescription = Converts the cache type of micro traditional caches into webcams
# MacAuthor = DavidMac
# MacFileName = MicrosToWebcams.gsk
#*******************************************
GoTo Position=Top
While not($_EoL)
table active=caches
IF ($d_CacheType = "T" AND $d_container = "Micro")
SET $d_CacheType = "W"
ENDIF
table active=caches
GoTo Position=Next
EndWhile

geocaching.com needs to create and use a new icon, as you have done for mystery's/multi's etc but this time for Micros/nano's. Why not? I am sure that I am not alone on this. :P

Hey, I agree. While technically Micro's are not another kind of cache they generate enough angst to be worth their own catagory for that reason alone.

Try going to the gsak forums http://www.gsak.net/board/ and read about macros. What you are looking for is a macro that will sort caches by types and sizes then create a folder of POIs. Using Garmin's POI Loader you can have a different icon for each size and type of geocache. These POIs will be stored on your gps in the Custom POI folder. Advantage - you can load lots of them and have all the different icons your heart desires. Disadvantage - they are not in the geocaching folder which prevents you from using the geocaching feature that Garmin provides.

GPX Spinner can fix your GPX file so different sizes of caches have different icons in your GPS. It can also change the icon if there is a trackable in the cache, or if there are a bunch of recent DNFs.

I am trying your suggestion ... i have downloaded...and created my spinner.gpx etc. but now what? How do I choose what icon to use for micro's and how do I upload into my Oregon 400t?

I know how to get the GPX into my garmin...but I have not selected an alternate ICON yet...nor do I know how. The instructions are not real specific in this regard. they apear to me more geared toward the paperless aspect.

FYI, i am using a GPX file of ONLY micros in my area that are active, and that I have not found.

HELP SPINNER!!

I agree, micros can be a pain. I cache with my 3 year old and he likes the swag as well. I end up doing a pocket query and from there you can pick the cache size. That seems to help a bit. A different icon is another way to avoid them, but there are other options when it comes to cache sizes.

I am not a micro/nano fan. I cache with my son 99% of the time. He is 5 and likes swag. So my GPX files omit nanos and micros. But there are plenty in my area. If I am on my own, over lunch etc, I may want to find a nano/micro. I love Caching. I have an Oregon 400t. The map view rocks. If I could look at the map view and see an icon that would tell if a cache was a traditional ro a micro/nano...I could make a choice to go or not. Instead, I now have to open the desription page on each and every one and see what size it is is noted. Here is my idea:

geocaching.com needs to create and use a new icon, as you have done for mystery's/multi's etc but this time for Micros/nano's. Why not? I am sure that I am not alone on this. :rolleyes:

So... what icon is used for a multi-stage micro? Puzzle micro?

Isn't what you really want is a size filter, similar to the type filter?

GPX Spinner can fix your GPX file so different sizes of caches have different icons in your GPS. It can also change the icon if there is a trackable in the cache, or if there are a bunch of recent DNFs.

I am trying your suggestion ... i have downloaded...and created my spinner.gpx etc. but now what? How do I choose what icon to use for micro's and how do I upload into my Oregon 400t?

I know how to get the GPX into my garmin...but I have not selected an alternate ICON yet...nor do I know how. The instructions are not real specific in this regard. they apear to me more geared toward the paperless aspect.

FYI, i am using a GPX file of ONLY micros in my area that are active, and that I have not found.

In the default configuration, Spinner changes micro caches to use the Rx (pharmacy) icon. It's the closest thing to a film can I could find. You can change this, and many other options, in the spinner.ini file.

You should be able to just upload the spinner.gpx file to your Garmin just like any other gpx file. Granted, I'm still using a 60CSx and I haven't tested it with an Oregon but it should work the same.

geocaching.com needs to create and use a new icon, as you have done for mystery's/multi's etc but this time for Micros/nano's. Why not? I am sure that I am not alone on this. :)

So... what icon is used for a multi-stage micro? Puzzle micro?

Isn't what you really want is a size filter, similar to the type filter?

I am content with the filters that are in place. But More filters..more better! The output of the icon for micros is my request.

In the default configuration, Spinner changes micro caches to use the Rx (pharmacy) icon. It's the closest thing to a film can I could find. You can change this, and many other options, in the spinner.ini file.

You should be able to just upload the spinner.gpx file to your Garmin just like any other gpx file. Granted, I'm still using a 60CSx and I haven't tested it with an Oregon but it should work the same.

sounds logical. I will try it now. BRB

well. no luck. as the GPX file I ma using ONLY contains unfound micros, I even changed the following to "pharmacy:

Traditional_Not_Found = Pharmacy

Traditional_Micro_Not_Found = Pharmacy

Traditional_Other_Not_Found = Pharmacy

Multi_Not_Found = Pharmacy

Multi_Micro_Not_Found = Pharmacy

Multi_Other_Not_Found = Pharmacy

but I still get the green container for all caches. (or yellow container for multi's. Not good. I was excited. I do have an OREGON 400t..if it matters.

geocaching.com needs to create and use a new icon, as you have done for mystery's/multi's etc but this time for Micros/nano's. Why not? I am sure that I am not alone on this. <_<

I do this with a GSAK macro called Garmin CSV POI Export with icons and variable formats for either the 60Csx or Nuvi.

Small to large look like the traditional ammo can, and micros look like a 35mm canister.