Fine tuning a PQ

Yno

I have a weekly PQ that is set up to give me 400 caches centered on my house. I have selected only traditionals, any container, that I haven't found and is active. Seems straight forward, but when I throw it into GSAK and sort by GPX date, some very close caches don't show up. I check these caches out, and they are all still available. The only reason I can guess that would keep them from showing up is they may not have been found in a while. Does the PQ look at the last found date, and pull a more distant cache that was just found in favor of a closer cache that might just be more difficult to find?

Are you asking for up to 400 caches (in the PQ limit) and are you getting that many?

If so, some are being excluded and you aren't controlling which ones those will be. I thought any time you selected a center point the caches that would be dropped would be the furthest away. But there is no reason to think that is guaranteed.

What if you add a distance limit that would get you a little under the 400 cache limit? Does that give you the caches you expect?

Edited by beejay&esskay

I don't have the updated in the last 7 days box checked, which is the only one like that I see. The "from origin" is set to "my home coordinates" and the "within radius of" was left at the default of 100 miles. I get the full 400 in the results.

I don't have the updated in the last 7 days box checked, which is the only one like that I see. The "from origin" is set to "my home coordinates" and the "within radius of" was left at the default of 100 miles. I get the full 400 in the results.

If you are getting 400 caches returned and you have set a limit of 400, then

- almost certainly the query is finding more than 400 and culling

- you can't assume that you will get the nearest 400

- you might be getting the newest 400, the oldest 400, the most easterly 400, who knows ...

- you could run several queries, (you can run up to 5 per day) and vary the placement dates etc to ensure you get the ones you want, then let GSAK get you the nearest ones? Use a 500 limit too.

Don't use the "home coordinates" - it's got a glitch. Instead key in the coordinates of your home into the coordinates box.

If you use that, you will get the closest 400 caches to your home.

What is the glitch??

I use Home Coord's all the time and my PQ's are fine.

Don't use the "home coordinates" - it's got a glitch. Instead key in the coordinates of your home into the coordinates box.

If you use that, you will get the closest 400 caches to your home.

You da man! I just tested it, and that is the solution. This will make things much easier. By the way, thanks for the write up on how to get rid of archived caches in GSAK. I used to use a slightly more difficult method of exporting the lists to Excel and comparing the lists. Your method is easier, and now I think will be even quicker!

Home Coordinates (the box that checks "Home Coordinates") is glitchy when used with pocket queries. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It most definitely gives "wonky" results (that's a highly technical term) when you use Home Coordinates checkbox with a geographical boundary limitation like state or country.

Home Coordinates (the box that checks "Home Coordinates") is glitchy when used with pocket queries. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It most definitely gives "wonky" results (that's a highly technical term) when you use Home Coordinates checkbox with a geographical boundary limitation like state or country.

I guess I have been lucky. That is exactly what I do. I use Home Coordinates, Ontario and Date Placed. So far it has worked fine. I have 25 PQ's that would need to be changed. Think I will just let this sleeping dog lie.

Thanks for the heads up. When the dog does wake up, I will know where to find his chain.