Etrex Vs gpsmap 60cx

air28uk

hey there guys and gals

lokking for some advice if i may

i currently have the etrex venture (the old green sparkly one (hmm why is it sparkly!?)) and i am thinking of upgrading to the gpsmap 60 cx because ive read in a few places the quadra-helix antenna is better in trees and cover (i was caching and my venture just said no, lol.)

so is the 60cx better than say the equivalent etrex version , because on paper they roughly do the same thing just difference in weight and size.

or is maggellan better !?!?! arrrghhhhhh so many choices

many thanks

Alistair :D

I used to have an etrex Legend that did not like tree cover - I changed to a 60csx last year and its a lot better under tree cover and basically all round.

I hear the new HCX ranges of etrex are pretty good.

Its probably down to price range in many cachers cases...

I hear the new HCX ranges of etrex are pretty good.

They are indeed, I can personally recommend the Legend Hcx as an excellent unit in woodland, in fact I don't remember it ever losing lock in all the time I had it when out caching. My old GPSMap60C did frequently in deep woodland.

I've also not had any accuracy/lock issues with my Oregon 200 either, so far.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

I use a eTrex Vista HCX and am more than happy with it. A friend has the 60csx and to be honest, I prefer mine.

The size of the 60 is a negative from my point of view. The external aerial of the 60 has never proved its advantage over my internal receiver

The menu system is the same however the interaction is different. Again, I prefer the one hand use of the etrex and even my friend preferred using the cursor stick (on the etrex) over the cursor button on the 60.

For the extra you pay for the 60, I really can't see its advantage!

However with the new touch-screens thrown into the arena, its a difficult one. I've not had practical use of either the Oregon or Colorado.

I also prefer the etrex vista HCx. When I was looking to upgrade I was put off by the size and feel of the 60cx but thats just personal choice.

The vista is great in woodland and cities. Its a good step up from the etrex H (Yellow One) and is easy to use. The battery life is also very good and I have a handlebar clip for mine, great when out caching on pedal power.

You can also download the free maps to the Vista which are very useful and did I say, FREE. :P

Having just swapped from a Etrex Legend C to a 60CSX in the last 6 weeks I have not regretted it for a single moment. I loved my Legend C, had it for 4 years and no problems with the exception of the joystick position which being righhanded I found my screen was covered by my hand when using it.

Yes the 60 is bulkier but I dont even notice and the upgraded chipset certainly seems to make a difference, will be interesting to see how it operates this summer when the tree canopy is in full leaf. After watching another cacher trying to us his Oregon in full sunlight and not being able to see the screen Im very glad of my choice.

Ive also kept my Legend C for cycle route caches as Ive got all the handlebar gismos!

Reading the comments I guess its personal choice.

Mark :P

hey there guys and gals

lokking for some advice if i may

i currently have the etrex venture (the old green sparkly one (hmm why is it sparkly!?)) and i am thinking of upgrading to the gpsmap 60 cx because ive read in a few places the quadra-helix antenna is better in trees and cover (i was caching and my venture just said no, lol.)

so is the 60cx better than say the equivalent etrex version , because on paper they roughly do the same thing just difference in weight and size.

or is maggellan better !?!?! arrrghhhhhh so many choices

many thanks

Alistair :P

I can't comment on the Etrex range, as I have never owned one.. I have an old Magellan 320 still in its box, and did have a Magellan Sportrak Color.. While Magellan are good, Garmin are better (my opinion only!).

I have a 60CSx and recently bought a Colorado 300... Both are great, but if it wasn't for the paperless caching of the Colorado, I would definitely say go with the 60CSx... As it is, it is a tough choice between the pair.

I use the free OSM maps, kindly compiled and shared by Talkytoaster, and Topo GB.

many thanks for your replies

still a bit stuck as its about 50/50 hmmmmmm think i need to try n get hold of one to have a play

i know millets sells the basic etrex h but where could i go have a hold on one . im in birmingham at the mo

any ideas?

much love Al

many thanks for your replies

still a bit stuck as its about 50/50 hmmmmmm think i need to try n get hold of one to have a play

i know millets sells the basic etrex h but where could i go have a hold on one . im in birmingham at the mo

any ideas?

much love Al

Blacks the outdoor shop normally have more then millets, even though they are owned by the same people, also field and trek normally have a good selection.

Your timing is perfect ..... get across to the NEC Gadget Show Exhibition 17-19th April, Garmin have a stand there (H33) and you should be able to have a play. Don't get pressured into buying one right there and then, decide which one you want and then search online, ebay is a good starting point for second hand units. :rolleyes:

thanks for that idea would be great but im going away *humpf* to lyme regis the weekend then cornwall i shall try blacks or the other shop if i have time when i back

can anyone recommend any good caches . i see your from that neck o'woods handsyhands

thanks for that idea would be great but im going away *humpf* to lyme regis the weekend then cornwall i shall try blacks or the other shop if i have time when i back

can anyone recommend any good caches . i see your from that neck o'woods handsyhands

One of my favouritist walks and caches is along the Hooken Cliffs between Beer and Branscome just a short drive from Lyme Regis, if you're brave enough you can try to find the cave troll in his lair at GCTDF6. The weather forecast is good for this weekend ..... enjoy! <_<