Memory Map Goto Mark Problems

I am running Memory Map os-5 on a Mio P560 running WM6. The problem is that when trying to follow the arrow using “Goto Mark” the two boxes appear on screen, one showing eta and bearing/ distance etc .one for the folloe the arrow. However the arrow box remains empty. The arrow has appeared on occasions but then disappeared without trace. I have tried removing the program from the pda then reinstalling but this hasn’t helped.

I have run this without problems on a previous Mio P550 running WM5.

Any ideas please?

The Boat People

I have had this problem before.

Are you running MMSirf? If so try disabling it and re-enabling. That sorts it for me.

Good luck.

Jon

Thanks Jon

Don't think I have this installed unless it was preinstalled when I bought the pda. However SeaSGEE is preinstalled which is a "Quick GPS Position fix program with a Ephemeris file download that has to be downloaded and expires every 3 days. Maybe this might be creating the problem but I can't see any way to disable it

Terry

Sounds like you need to change your static navigation settings.

What are static navigation settings and where do I find them please?

Terry

I cant remember as im at work :D but there is aseparate app on my mio to turn static navigation off

Static nevigation is about telling memory map you are walking not driving and it adjusts how often it obtains GPS fixes , on my mio ut can also be used to turn egnos on and off.

As Mr D says above, install the sirf file. I sometimes find my P550 arrow just vanishes and I have to run this file again. One of those things. But don't forget (as someone has said) when you stop moving the arrow will disappear because it uses the GPS satellite to navigate not an electronic compass.

You can download this file directly from Memory Map's website here http://www.memory-map.com/MMSirfSetup.exe

Chris (MrB)

Edited by The Blorenges

..... which is a "Quick GPS Position fix program with a Ephemeris file download that has to be downloaded and expires every 3 days.

This should in fact speed everything up if you have the ephemeris data. This data tells the GPS program where the satellites are orbiting.

If you don't have it, the GPS still "works" but takes longer to acquire and calculate the info about the satellite orbits from the satellites direct - this might lead to slow or possibly non acquisition if the GPS enabled program isn't on long enough.

I'm sure it's a bit more complicated in reality, but that is how it works in essence. If you read about acquisition times in the technical data about GPS, it refers to cold and hot acquisition times. "Cold" is when the ephemeris data needs to be obtained first then the software calculates the position. "Hot" is when that data is already held (for say the previous 3 day period) and the GPS goes straight to calculate the position.

Quick GPS downloads this satellite info automatically when you hotsync the PDA to your PC/Internet if you have that option ticked. Many folk do not realise that this happens at all! Turning off Quick GPS may therefore have the opposite effect.

Older PDA's also do not allow GPS data sharing - ie TomTom and Memory-Map cannot run at the same time and show your current location. Another app such as Franson GPSGate allows port sharing so that this problem is overcome.

Newer PDA's do not have this issue and QuickGPS, TomTom, CacheMate AND Memory-Map can all run simultaneously utilising the same GPS data. This also means that changing from one GPS enabled app to another is fairly seamless. With an older PDA, you must physically hard exit the first GPS app before starting a second unless you have port sharing.

With the PocketPC, usually clicking on the small "X" in the top right hand corner doesn't hard exit the app and it is still running in the background (and hogging the GPS data feed). This is counter intuitive with the way that the desktop PC works where clicking the "X" quits the app completely. Having too many apps running at once on an older PDA also causes problems and slows down the entire system due to memory shortage.

Hope this helps. :D

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. Having been out for a test walk this afternoon with pda in hand I have found the arrow does in fact appear when I am walking. However only when I walk fast. Does this mean that I will have to run to caches in the future? :P

Terry

Absolutely, nothing less than double time to each one :D

If you install the MMSirf file and run it you get two options, one for 'walking' and one for 'driving'. I set the walking one and also enable WAAS (hi resolution satellites - see my resource website for more details). The arrow is always there unless I actually stop dead. It appears as soon as I move (not running!).

Chris (MrB)

Geocaching Resources for the UK and Ireland www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. Having been out for a test walk this afternoon with pda in hand I have found the arrow does in fact appear when I am walking. However only when I walk fast. Does this mean that I will have to run to caches in the future? :P

Terry

If you install the MMSirf file and run it you get two options, one for 'walking' and one for 'driving'. I set the walking one and also enable WAAS (hi resolution satellites - see my resource website for more details). The arrow is always there unless I actually stop dead. It appears as soon as I move (not running!).

Chris (MrB)

Geocaching Resources for the UK and Ireland www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources

I use this little bit of freeware called 'Switch' which sits on the toolbar and allows you to quickly switch between programs and more importantly close them down (close properly and exit memory).

http://freewareppc.com/download/utilities/switch.shtml

Chris (MrB)

A brilliant little program noe installed on our pda

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. Having been out for a test walk this afternoon with pda in hand I have found the arrow does in fact appear when I am walking. However only when I walk fast. Does this mean that I will have to run to caches in the future? :unsure:

Terry

Chris (MrB)

Having now installed MMSirf and got it working, we can now go caching at a more leisurely pace. All that rushing around was making me feel quite ill. I knew with every ones help that I would get there in the end.

Thanks

Terry

Having now installed MMSirf and got it working, we can now go caching at a more leisurely pace. All that rushing around was making me feel quite ill. I knew with every ones help that I would get there in the end.

Thanks

Terry

Yay... good news :unsure: