poor mans gps

I have a Garmin GPS40 at the moment. (yes that old). If there is a colletor I will trade...

I can usually zero in after some trial and error with it. That is usually. Other times I am extremely frustrated with a device that I jokingly state looks for spuntik first before it goes into this century. (Not to say I haven't had fun so far. But I want to move up). This whole thing was suposed to be an in-expensive hobby. So....

I would like:

A gps that can recieve information from a standard computer, P3 or 4 not sure what I have any more

I guess the waas is important stuff, though is it.?

and willing to accept 50-60 $ ebay price that is. (ok maybe a little higher but I am being strict on this), like I said this is supposed to be an in-expensive hobby.

The real question is. Is it worth my bother to buy a used Garmin or Magellen with the above specs or not, or should I struggele with the untamed animal I have and suffer untill I can something special.

Dude... I understand your want, and desire, BUT I will offer you these words of advice.

"It is Better to deal with what you have, and save up for a couple months for a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx, than to do the small incremental upgrades."

Case and point.

I started with a eTrex(yellow). It was about $90. It worked, but was Serial(had to get a $30 adapter, and 30$ Cord for the computer) and slow... Then a few months later, we got the Venture(180$)(Yeah MAPS!!!), and the Maps were a Godsend. After that, I read about what a Barametric altimiter, and an electronic Compass would also help out as well. Hmm. Guess I gotta upgrade to the Vista($300). Of course, that one got stolen from me, and the Venture went to my dad(still has and uses). We waited a Year and a half, and gota Geko 301($200). It worked, but I had been reading again... Color Screen, SD Card, USB!!!!! Ooooo.

One fine day, I walked into the local RE*, and the price was right($229). Since then, I've read about all these newer (and more useless maggies) units and Stick with my Vista HCx. So, Save the money up, and get yourself a Great unit that is STILL at the best of the Best!

The Steaks

P.S. I notice your from ID. You'll REALLY want the maps when hiking the Mountains... I KNOW!!! We're from Spokane, WA!

I'm new to this and wanted to go cheaply, too...until I noticed you couldn't get a gps off of ebay for less than $80 plus shipping. Then I decided if I was going to go $80, I wanted one that could do paperless caching. My friends have had issues with putting coords in their gps wrong and wasted lots of time and frustration. I looked around at the PN-20 (which I believe is the cheapest system that now does paperless) and discovered it sells at the stores for $200!!! I was NOT going to pay that!

Then I checked out Walmart.com and got it for $140 after shipping and taxes--AND it came with the Topo Map program for the US (which is great because I can use it for road directions since I don't have a car GPS). But the best part is that when I'm stumped at a cache, I can look up some of the logs (how ever many fit on my gps) and get some clues :P I still can't figure some things out about it (like how to go from the navigation screen to view the cache comments without going clear back out to the first screen), but I've been VERY happy with it! And I don't even use it to its full capabilites (like aerial maps & stuff.)

I know you want to stay cheap...I wanted to, as well. But I REALLY recommend going a little more expensive because it REALLY enhances your geocaching!

For what it's worth, from a noob :D

Just heard that Radio Shack just updated their policy to Include GPS devices to their list of "Trade-In" worthy items. I don't know IF Radio shack would have a unit that would actually work, but I will attest that their batteries only last for HALF as long as those bought from Wally world for the sameprice...

The Steaks

I'm new to this and wanted to go cheaply, too...until I noticed you couldn't get a gps off of ebay for less than $80 plus shipping. Then I decided if I was going to go $80, I wanted one that could do paperless caching. My friends have had issues with putting coords in their gps wrong and wasted lots of time and frustration. I looked around at the PN-20 (which I believe is the cheapest system that now does paperless) and discovered it sells at the stores for $200!!! I was NOT going to pay that!

Then I checked out Walmart.com and got it for $140 after shipping and taxes--AND it came with the Topo Map program for the US (which is great because I can use it for road directions since I don't have a car GPS). But the best part is that when I'm stumped at a cache, I can look up some of the logs (how ever many fit on my gps) and get some clues :rolleyes: I still can't figure some things out about it (like how to go from the navigation screen to view the cache comments without going clear back out to the first screen), but I've been VERY happy with it! And I don't even use it to its full capabilites (like aerial maps & stuff.)

I know you want to stay cheap...I wanted to, as well. But I REALLY recommend going a little more expensive because it REALLY enhances your geocaching!

For what it's worth, from a noob B)

The old saying "you get what you pay for" comes to mind! I would also recommend the PN-20, it's a very inexpensive unit with a LOT of bells and whistles...and more on the horizon too!!

Then I checked out Walmart.com and got it for $140 after shipping and taxes--AND it came with the Topo Map program for the US (which is great because I can use it for road directions since I don't have a car GPS). But the best part is that when I'm stumped at a cache, I can look up some of the logs (how ever many fit on my gps) and get some clues <_< I still can't figure some things out about it (like how to go from the navigation screen to view the cache comments without going clear back out to the first screen), but I've been VERY happy with it! And I don't even use it to its full capabilites (like aerial maps & stuff.)

For what it's worth, from a noob :D

Got my new PN-20 a week or two ago. Got it from Amazon for about $150 shipped with 2 day UPS delivery. I had mixed feelings on the little booger(but Delorme has a good return policy) until I got familiar with it. Liking it more and more each day. Shoot, got it loaded for bear right now in prep for a trip to the coast. It has BW aerials of the area, NOAA marine charts of 3 bays and a bunch of caches too. The only draw back is battery life so far. I can run alkalines until get some kind of rechargeables going.

I can be pretty inpartial as I currently owm five different brands of GPS's 1 furuno,1 TomTom , two magellons, 4 garmins and 1 DeLorme. and I have to say the Delorme PN-20 is the best value for the money of all of them! And I spent 6 times as much for some of the others (with less options and needing two antenas) as the DeLorme. I bought it as a backup unit and it has become my every day for every thing choice. I've seen them for $132.00 at Wallmart. You can't touch this for that price. Oh yeah paperless caching too! It's a no brainer. Scotty.

and willing to accept 50-60 $ ebay price that is. (ok maybe a little higher but I am being strict on this), like I said this is supposed to be an in-expensive hobby.

If you have a bluetooth capable phone you could get a cheap bluetooth gps like this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9415

Just make sure your phone supports a free GPS software like Trekbuddy.

Along with the above website, if you want to go bluetooth and a cell phone, take a look at Semsons.

I got a very accurate bluetooth receiver for 23.99 including shipping! That and Turbo Gps software does the trick for me. If I can just figure out how to load and calibrate maps, it will be the perfect set up for me.

Dude... I understand your want, and desire, BUT I will offer you these words of advice.

"It is Better to deal with what you have, and save up for a couple months for a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx, than to do the small incremental upgrades."

Case and point.

I started with a eTrex(yellow). It was about $90. It worked, but was Serial(had to get a $30 adapter, and 30$ Cord for the computer) and slow... Then a few months later, we got the Venture(180$)(Yeah MAPS!!!), and the Maps were a Godsend. After that, I read about what a Barametric altimiter, and an electronic Compass would also help out as well. Hmm. Guess I gotta upgrade to the Vista($300). Of course, that one got stolen from me, and the Venture went to my dad(still has and uses). We waited a Year and a half, and gota Geko 301($200). It worked, but I had been reading again... Color Screen, SD Card, USB!!!!! Ooooo.

One fine day, I walked into the local RE*, and the price was right($229). Since then, I've read about all these newer (and more useless maggies) units and Stick with my Vista HCx. So, Save the money up, and get yourself a Great unit that is STILL at the best of the Best!

The Steaks

P.S. I notice your from ID. You'll REALLY want the maps when hiking the Mountains... I KNOW!!! We're from Spokane, WA!

I concur with the assertion about the Vista Hcx. I love mine. I started with a Venture Cx and then moved up to the Vista Hcx.

Here are some links about the Vista Hcx if you would like to research it.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=168470

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=176734

http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=6326