Most caches in a day?

CWagoner

Say, I have a somewhat related question. Please bear with me as I ramble a little first. It's not off topic, I swear.

I've seen many usernames that say "Team something". I assume "Team" implies that it is more than one person under that account?

If only one person from that team is out caching, will they still log the finds under the team account?

Even if they're out caching together, I assume the cache is "found" as soon as one person finds the cache. Some may play differently, of course.

So let's stretch it a little. Both person head off in different directions and look for different caches. Yay, almost double the productivity.

Now, let's stretch it a little more. Team doesn't mean 2 person. It just means more than 1. So let's form a huge team, spanning multiple locations, and go out to set that "most caches in 24 hour" record <_<

No, I don't know of anyone doing it, have no interest in doing it, and frankly, it wouldn't disturb me in the slightest if someone does. But if you read about it here and decide to do it, I want credit for the idea - flames and all :D

I never thought of that. My son and I do this together but we are always together. LOL if you saw him when we find one you would know why I only find a few. He just loves looking at everything in detail and then hiding the cache again, just so carefully. LOL

Anyway I am driving a lot this weekend and in no particular hurry. I did the route planning and think I might break 10 in one day! We will see. I may surprise myself and do more, who knows.

Everybodys input has been great and I think its interesting how different peole view this and do this. I also think its very nice how people are so helpful and foreright about things here. Thanks from a fairly new geocacher.

You didn't say. Was that on one crutch or two or more?

Crutches is a plural word so that would imply more than one crutch. I guess I could conceivably have used more than two, but I believe that standard configuration is two, at least for us humans. Vinny's alien friends may use more.

If the subject matter of the thread bores you, why would you bother reading it? Let alone post to it - multiple times.

It's kind of like finding a movie boring, then driving to the theater every few days watch it again and announce to the moviegoers how boring you think the movie is.

I've seen many usernames that say "Team something". I assume "Team" implies that it is more than one person under that account?

If only one person from that team is out caching, will they still log the finds under the team account?

Even if they're out caching together, I assume the cache is "found" as soon as one person finds the cache. Some may play differently, of course.

So let's stretch it a little. Both person head off in different directions and look for different caches. Yay, almost double the productivity.

Now, let's stretch it a little more. Team doesn't mean 2 person. It just means more than 1. So let's form a huge team, spanning multiple locations, and go out to set that "most caches in 24 hour" record smile.gif

No, I don't know of anyone doing it, have no interest in doing it, and frankly, it wouldn't disturb me in the slightest if someone does. But if you read about it here and decide to do it, I want credit for the idea - flames and all smile.gif

Most "teams" are simply families or a close group of friend who generally cache together. If mom is away on business and finds a cacheor two, while dad finds a few at home, no big deal.

For the purpose of any sort of legit record run I think most people would agree that the team should stay

together. The group that found 300+ supposedly did split up at points, which is why a lot of people don't consider it to be the record.

Edited by briansnat
You didn't say. Was that on one crutch or two or more?

Crutches is a plural word so that would imply more than one crutch. I guess I could conceivably have used more than two, but I believe that standard configuration is two, at least for us humans. Vinny's alien friends may use more.

If the subject matter of the thread bores you, why would you bother reading it? Let alone post to it - multiple times.

It's kind of like finding a movie boring, then driving to the theater every few days watch it again and announce to the moviegoers how boring you think the movie is.

Now, let's stretch it a little more. Team doesn't mean 2 person. It just means more than 1. So let's form a huge team, spanning multiple locations, and go out to set that "most caches in 24 hour" record smile.gif

No, I don't know of anyone doing it, have no interest in doing it, and frankly, it wouldn't disturb me in the slightest if someone does. But if you read about it here and decide to do it, I want credit for the idea - flames and all smile.gif

Most "teams" are simply families or a close group of friend who generally cache together. If mom is away on business and finds a cacheor two, while dad finds a few at home, no big deal.

For the purpose of any sort of legit record run I think most people would agree that the team should stay

together. The group that found 300+ supposedly did split up at points, which is why a lot of people don't consider it to be the record.

My post has zero to do with "thread boredom". And why I might choose to post or not post to a given thread isn't really anything that you ought to feel compelled to worry over.

Edited by Team Cotati

If it's one of those days where I'm going for the numbers, I usually start out with a lot of energy and with high hopes of getting a lot of caches. But it seems I start to run out of interest and/or energy at a certain point so I usually don't make it to as many as I would like.

Recently though I was able to break my own record of 30 in one day. I had my wife drop me off at the beginning of a trail and told her where to pick me up much later in the day. At the end of the day, after finding the last one in the dark I had found 55 caches and walked about 16 miles. Luckily one one was a LPC cache.

263, I believe it was, in roughly 22 hours, with Cachepal and EMC of Northridge, CA. We thought it would be fun to see if we could knock off 250+ in 24 hours with no locals driving us around, no splitting up, no lifelines, no signing the outside of the cache, nothing that could even remotely be considered fishy. We stopped after 22 hours because we had run out of caches to find.

It was a blast, but I don't think I ever want to do that again.

Edited by Team Perks

I have no desire to find hundreds in one day. Not a knock against the ones that do it just dont interest me. I love caching. I have been doing it for several years. The enjoyment for me is not stressing if I find or not. I usually take my son he is four he is good for about one hour of caching then I have to get some ice cream and find a playground. I am yet to even break a hundred.

Edited by jasongross

49 caching alone (driving myself, hunting myself) but part of a cache machine in Yakama. That was just from midnight on during the actual Cache Machine Day - I scored a bunch of others the evening before. We avoided a lot of micros and parking lot caches too.

It was fun, and differant. It helped that Yakima was completing virgin territory for me but it hurt that I had no idea where I was going as I'd never been there before.

315 in 24 hours is the current 'record'.

Before that it was 293.

I won't be a bit surprised to see that number raised, maybe before GW7 in May.

I've been on several 100+ runs.

It's possible.

Not a regular way to cache, but it's fun once in a while.

Lets do some Math

24x60=1440min in a day

100 chaches in 24h = 14:25min per cache

293 caches in 24h = 4:55min per cache

315 caches in 24h = 4:34min per cache

Of course this is not accounting for any eating or bathroom breaks.

These times are amazing. Don't think I will ever be able to approche these kinds of numbers.

Last weekend I did 38 caches n Saturday (4/18). That tied my best record and also involved 2.5 hours off for an event and dinner,

Sunday (4/19) I did 53 which also included one virtual I had already got, so my caching partner could find it.

Ended up with my best day, weekend, week, and month (still not over) ever.

Before that it was 293.

Solo or in a group?

I would think having multiple people would make it much easier to get high numbers than someone doing everything by themselves so much so that it always the first question that pops into my mind when I see someone say "I" found X number.

Having multiple people searching for the same cache at the same time would be a huge advantage over someone having to check every possible hiding place themselves.

Edited by EvanMinn

Before that it was 293.

Solo or in a group?

I would think having multiple people would make it much easier to get high numbers than someone doing everything by themselves so much so that it always the first question that pops into my mind when I see someone say "I" found X number.

Having multiple people searching for the same cache at the same time would be a huge advantage over someone having to check every possible hiding place themselves.

In a group. 8 persons.

www.powercaching24h.com