Most caches in a day?

CWagoner

I have to ask, being new. What was the most caches you have found in 1 day?? I see some people posting like more than I could ever think to do, while driving 100 miles to do it? Is it possible? Am I being teased by these?

Probably not. I've do two separate cache run's that was each over 100 a day. If your in a heavy urban area, and plan right and everything, it's possible. Just remember the downside to doing that is trying to log it all.

Personally for me I think it's 17 in one day. I really don't expect to match or beat that anytime soon. First of all I'm just naturally really slow at finding caches. It's common for me to hunt for a 1/1 rated cache and it will take me 10 or 15 minutes to find it, and frequently end up filing a DNF on a cache everybody else claims are easy finds. I'm still waiting for my "geosense" to develop so that 1/1 rated caches jump out at me like they do for everybody else. Oh well, by being really slow finding the caches I get to enjoy the search usually 3 times longer than the average geocacher. :D

The other reason is if I want to have anything decent to to write about in my Found It or DNF log I have to type it in my laptop before leaving to find my next cache. Otherwise if I waited until getting home to try and write my logs all the cache owners would get to read would be a lame TFTC TNLN SL and I figure the cache owners deserve a bit more than that since they were kind enough to place a cache for others to enjoy. My memory is just not good enough anymore to try and remember what the search was like that happened maybe as much as 12 hours earlier. By taking the time to type my log before going to the next cache my logs are usually a few sentences long which makes better reading for cache owners.

I do know there are some people (usually working in teams from what I hear) that rack up big numbers like over 100 finds per day and I've see one claiming almost 200 in a day. Obviously those folks have a different way they prefer to play the game than I do which is ok. We all just kind of do what we enjoy the most.

The longer I play this game the more I'm learning to not worry about others and just to make sure I do what makes me happiest and to make sure I leave each cache in as good or better shape than when I found it. At the end of the day I just want to know I've enjoyed myself!!!! :D

'Groundhog Day'....I fully expect William Murray to post at any moment. If not William, surely it will be Andie MacDowell. ;-)

Good grief.

The flaw in the reasoning is that the next day, only the previous days logs would be on the caches. In the movie, the only things he kept was the things from the Last time around, and his memories.

The Steaks

P.S. Ours hasn't hit 75 yet, but I've got plans.

My friends and I competed in our own 24 hour Cache-A-Thon back in October in Auburn, Wa. We started at 0730 and finally crashed and burned out at 0430 the next morning. There was no way we could continue for three more hours. We managed to grab 64 caches found with one DNF that was MIA. We were not out for the numbers per say, we agreed that we were out for fun and to see where the journey took us. We had a blast, found some really cool caches and drank alot of energy drinks. We will do it again in September hopefully.

Anyhow, it is possible. I can't recall the username, but there's a couple down in California that grabs an average of 200 finds per day every weekend. They are in it for the numbers, which works for them. Me personally, I'm in it for the adventure. :-)

Upwards of 200 caches in a day is not impossible and has been done many times.

You can head over to the Jacksonville area since you're in Gainesville if you want to cache in a heavily cache populated area. I think runs of 250 in a day have been done there by several people. Usually one person is a dedicated driver and they plan the route ahead of time.

There's a series in Lakeland, they have "Easy" in the name. I think there are about 40 of them that run up one highway. They're all LPCs and about .1 apart. I think the only difference in them is what color film cannister they are. Those can all be done in just a few hours.

Me, I'm into hiking caches. We just hiked about 5 miles this past weekend in the John's Island part of Tomoka SP and found 11, DNFed 3 more. We were on the trail for about 5 hours between hiking and searching.

I think about 22 in a day is our record, and we're not into numbers.

315 in 24 hours is the current 'record'.

Before that it was 293.

I won't be a bit surprised to see that number raised, maybe before GW7 in May.

I've been on several 100+ runs.

It's possible.

Not a regular way to cache, but it's fun once in a while.

That is good to know, I was wondering what the current record was and now I know. Thanks!!

BTW Mine is 14 in one day, so far....

I have to ask, being new. What was the most caches you have found in 1 day?? I see some people posting like more than I could ever think to do, while driving 100 miles to do it? Is it possible? Am I being teased by these?

My personal best was three caches in 8 hours and 56 minutes with 4600 feet of elevation gain, and a 14 mile hike. This was for find #1100.

th_ThroopHike.jpg

My second best was 18 caches, a 7 mile hike with 1950 feet of elevation gain, and I found a special cache for #1400.

th_SimiHike.jpg

Most in one day was 54 but I don't geocache for number records anymore. I personally dislike most park and grabs (which people use to rack up high daily finds), and I haven't found many hiking trails with 100 caches on them. :P

Edited by Kit Fox

I know.. There are a lot of other threads on this topic but...

Yes, it's possible and it happens often.

We've done three runs of over 100 within 12 to 16 hours, one run of exactly 240 in 24 hours. During that run, we broke 200 in 18 hours. I'm still wondering how I managed to not only stay awake during the whole run but drive the extra 4 hours to and from (each way). Poor Trailpuppy had to listen to me jabbering away for most of the drive home even. :P

It's not at all uncommon for us to put on 300 miles in a day of caching. Heck, Before my daughter even got her license, she drove me from Santa Rosa (CA) to well into the Eldorado Forest near Kirkwood Ski resort. just so I could pick up some 30 caches... Well.. I'm sure she had an alterior motive.. She ACED her driving test a couple of months ago though!! :D

I suppose it not only depends on where you live (cache density) but how much stamina and motivation you have.

It's possible to find 100's of caches in a day, just not possible if you want to have any fun :P

Nah, some people like the challenge of planning the route, and they'll have a good time with the group of people they're with. I think it'd get exhausting to cache like this every day though.

Personally, I hate getting in and out of my car. I'm a bad suburbanite, I get mad if the supermarket I stop at doesn't have everything I need because I'll need to stop the car again. I miss wandering around Manhattan shop to shop to pick up each thing I needed from the best place to do so. I cache the same way. I like to park the car once and wander. If there's one along my route, fine. If there are 20 along the route, that's fine too. Luckily I seem to live in a place with like-minded people. Our woods' are just packed with tupperware :D

I'm not sure what my record for a single day is though. The best I can think of is one holiday week, we found 91 while traveling. We were aiming for 100, but the driver (me) got a migraine and we had to stop and focus on getting home safely. It was a good method because we really set out with no plan of where we wanted to end up or what we wanted to see, so the caches were a good tour guide, haha.

My personal best was three caches in 8 hours and 56 minutes with 4600 feet of elevation gain, and a 14 mile hike. This was for find #1100.

th_ThroopHike.jpg

I just checked the logs and this does not show show the correct three cache you found on that day. Instead one of the caches you found was a LAME(l) cache. Admit it. In order to pump up your numbers you found a LAME(l) cache. :P

Edited by tozainamboku

Our record day was 16. not a big number. I've had much more fun on 6 cache days out in the woods though. It was fun trying to see how many we could get in one day (two of us looking together). It was fun once, don't know if I'll try it again. Costs a lot in eating out for one. :P

I know one woman who got 72 in one day. I checked her logs to see how she did it and it turned out she went to a city where they have TONS all over. (Spokane)

In the area I live there are a lot of "evil micro's" that take some time to find. The most I've gotten in my home town is 9 I think. They are pretty spread apart too. Have to find a place where they are closer together. I'd rather go out in the woods myself and get just a couple. Just depends on your idea of a good time.

th_ThroopHike.jpg

I just checked the logs and this does not show show the correct three cache you found on that day. Instead one of the caches you found was a LAME(l) cache. Admit it. In order to pump up your numbers you found a LAME(l) cache. :P

Alright,

You caught me. I used Gone2camp's track, because his superior 60CSX did a nicer track line than my older Magellan Merigold.

Here is the proof! Note the wavy lines as I hiked through the thick tree cover. Yes I did find a LAME cache, but it was an ammo can near a spring, there is nothing lame about it. :D

th_1100-Trip.jpg

My best is 24. done yesterday in about 8 hours of caching. But we also did 1 benchmark and 4 waymarks. I like the waymarks that take me to historical markers. This was 4 area cachers getting together to have fun. We could have got a lot more caches but we were picking and choosing the caches we wanted to go after. We even started with a 4 stage multi. So we had a lot of fun. That's the most important part, right.

Some of my best caching was my wife and I going for a walk and getting a few caches. I don't think I would enjoy getting 100 caches in a day. I don't care for stress much.

We don't' get to cache as often as we'd like because we both have heavy work schedules, so we've only found 407 in the last three years, but for us it's the adventure, the exercise, etc and not the numbers. We especially enjoy events as well...

but that being said, the most we've ever found in one day was 30.

-Rozie

I once did 104 in about 14 hours up in Yuba City area. The place is packed with caches and it is all rural so no one is around to bother you. That fact helped alot I'm sure. Drove about 2.5 hours each way, too.

Did I enjoy myself? You bet! :P It helps if you have caching buddies that are obsessed.

The flaw in the reasoning is that the next day, only the previous days logs would be on the caches. In the movie, the only things he kept was the things from the Last time around, and his memories.

But the next day you'd remember where all those caches are hidden, and "find" them much faster.

Anyway, most I've done so far is 10 in a day, after which it stops being as much fun. And writing interesting logs for more than that in a day is a challenge for me.

I've only had one day when I had more than 8 hours of continuous geocaching. I found 31 that day but it was also in a cache rich area (Mountain View). Unlike many that have posted some big numbers I was cacheing by myself (only 1 set of eyes).

The best I have done locally is 20-23 and I've done that three times with about 6 hours of caching each time. My best recent day was 18 finds which took about 6 hours and over 100 miles of driving. The best part about that day was that I had no DNFs.

We have found 22 in a day, and not in an urban area either, took 6 hrs, and 22+ starts and stops on my car... not very Geo friendly... and logging too many at once becomes a royal pain in the ... We are however planning on hitting up the city of Victoria (BC) on a blitz in the next few weeks using our Iphones, so we can log finds in the field... hoping to break 50 in a day...

Went to an event a couple of weekends ago, found 15 caches in 7 hrs. We had 6 people in our group and 2 cars, so that wasn't very efficient. Also, stopped for gas and food and bathrooms at least once each.

My husband thinks we can do better just the two of us on our own and is very excited to go to another caching event.

So far, I'm not a huge fan of the all day event caching thing. I mean, the afterparty was great and I loved meeting everyone and playing games and such, I just don't think I'm a power cacher. I'm there for the hunt, and I like taking my time. I enjoy the sunshine and the being outdoors and the walking around and stuff. Not this rush rush rush, each cache blends in with the previous 3 thing.

But that's just me. And I'm still new. Perhaps once I've gotten to the point where it takes me 3 seconds to identify the cache location in a new spot I'll think differently. Right now, it's so not about the numbers for me.

But, this is a sport that is very customizable to the individual players...

I actually did 37 in one day.....While I was in Sedona, AZ 127 done in 7 days

I have done 60 caches in 13 hours and that is with a few DNF thate ate up a lot of our time. This being our first time, and only haveing a small team of 2 people, I believed we did pretty well for ourselves. It deffinetly is a different style of caching. The intensity, lots of running, and always battling the clock is which makes it so much fun. We had to cut several caches that would of been enjoyable to do because they were like 2 miles into a park and we didn't have the time. On days like these, I was always glad to see that LP near GZ. Also we have to take in account the law enforcement stops. :rolleyes: I would say I am not in it for the numbers, but rather for the experience, and that was one.

Edited by lttldude9

Our most in one day was 84 in 12 hours - we participated in an event called a "cache machine" where another cacher had laid out a route the cache dense city of Victoria, BC. We were a team of four, and as long as one of us found the cache, we all counted the find. We had premade stickers and we didn't swap.

We just did 39 in 7.5 hours just north of Victoria, on a relaxed pace with four of us looking and finding each one. We could've hit 40, but we wanted to clean up before dinner!

We have found 22 in a day, and not in an urban area either, took 6 hrs, and 22+ starts and stops on my car... not very Geo friendly... and logging too many at once becomes a royal pain in the ... We are however planning on hitting up the city of Victoria (BC) on a blitz in the next few weeks using our Iphones, so we can log finds in the field... hoping to break 50 in a day...

Would you like a copy of the September 2008 Victoria cache machine route, if I can find one? 127 caches, of which we did 84 in one day.

We also have a bookmark for the 39 we just did in Sidney last week.

Edited by doingitoldschool

Quite proud to say my record is 5. It was on a seven hour hike and involved scrambles along cliffs and ledges with huge drop off's.

The interesting thing about threads like this is that it brings out the different geocaching ideologies of geocachers. I can think of nothing worse than finding cache after cache on a caching run. How does one stop to appreciate the unique location, the adventure, the beauty or the history that the cache provides? If it doesn't provide any of these, why was it placed and why are you doing it? Further, where does one get the time to write the logs to show ones appreciation for the caches? :rolleyes:

I think I share Kit Fox's geocaching ideology.

Some cachers have a singular ideology, and that is the only way they play. That's great-it makes them happy.

Other cachers have multiple ideologies and are happy doing different styles of caching on different days. That's great-it makes them happy.

It's kind of like categorizing herbivores, carnivores, omnivores, and even locovores. I know some cachers who don't even like to get too far from home.

I know of one cacher who never strayed far from home before they began caching. Through geocaching they have taken their first plane ride, left the state they grew up in for the first time ever, traveled all over and met some wonderful people and seen some great sites, and found a lot of caches along the way. I think they are pretty happy too.

OK I am amazed! 100+, 200+ 240 in 16 hours?? WOW!

We've done three runs of over 100 within 12 to 16 hours, one run of exactly 240 in 24 hours. During that run, we broke 200 in 18 hours. I'm still wondering how I managed to not only stay awake during the whole run but drive the extra 4 hours to and from (each way).

Thats like one every 10 minutes not including driving!! WOW thats amazing. :) I'll have to try to learn that routing thing everyone talks about. In a good area. :)

I will have to stick to 7 in one day for now, I think being my best so far. I will have to try looking at a day of caching like maybe 10 hours (my partner gives out quick, he's 10). :D

Very interesting answers folks thank for enlightening me. I appreciate the info.

I once found 700 caches in 7 and a half years.

Seriously, I once found 5 or 6 caches in an hour alone, on crutches, with no prior planning and in no particular hurry. I have no doubt that a motivated person, with proper planning, a driver, two good legs and a cache rich area can find 240 or more caches in 24 hours. I have no doubt because it has been done - several times.

I once found 700 caches in 7 and a half years.

Seriously, I once found 5 or 6 caches in an hour alone, on crutches, with no prior planning and in no particular hurry. I have no doubt that a motivated person, with proper planning, a driver, two good legs and a cache rich area can find 240 or more caches in 24 hours. I have no doubt because it has been done - several times.

After this statement of irrefutable logic, fact and humor there can never be serious doubt wrt claims of finds in a defined period of time.

No matter how outrageous and preposterous.

New record established: Most caches found in one hour (or less) while alone, on crutches, w/out any preplanning, taking your own sweet time.

Congratulations on this wonderful achievement.

How many Taco Bell gift certificates did THAT one earn you?

Since these feats of wonder have been accomplished several times, perhaps we could just drop this discussion. As exciting as it always is. Even after the 83rd. rendition.

P.S. You didn't say. Was that on one crutch or two or more? Perhaps there IS room for just one more new record. But only one, then that's it.

Edited by Team Cotati

We were having a nice thread while everyone kept their shirt on. I especially liked the OP's enthusiasm and willingness to listen.

To continue the fun, I'll add some more numbers.

In 2004 I was part of a team of two geocachers who found 240 caches in 24 hours, a record at the time. We were supported by a local driver and navigator, which helped VERY much.

Last year I wanted to see how many caches I could find in a day without visiting parking lots. I enjoyed a day of winding country roads, rural cemeteries and scenic views. I stopped at 70 caches because it was dark and I was tired. I always stop when it's no longer fun.

My next one day goal is to find 100 caches solo with no advance planning, phone a friends or other assistance. That will be fun someday when I'm in the mood. It's the type of thing I enjoy doing once a year, not once a week.

...My next one day goal is to find 100 caches solo with no advance planning, phone a friends or other assistance. That will be fun someday when I'm in the mood. It's the type of thing I enjoy doing once a year, not once a week.

I am going to try for 100 in a weekend. With 2 young kids in tow. Someday.

Hey lep I put him on ignore a lonnnnnnng time ago :):):D

Now my personal best by myself is about 42 starting at dayight and caching until 1 pm

when I wasn't enjoying myself anymore.

With a group of very prolific so cal cachers my best was 59 starting around 8 am and I

bailed about 1 pm, again when I wasn't enjoying myself and they went until sunset and

found 117 if I remember correctly.

Even on my Sunday cache runs I'll spend an hour or so mapping and planning my route.