How Many Hides Do You Have?

Please don't focus on the number of hides. Please consider focusing on the quality of the hides.

I don't know how other cachers feel, but I don't quite get a peanut butter jar wrapped in camo tape stuck in a tree at a park. I suppose if it is large enough my kids do like the trade items. Unless it is a nice park, what's the point?

We try to focus on caches that will be memorable. We have 6 hides and with the possible cache of an average cache that is hid in a slightly different way- They would all be caches that we would like. We often get comments as to them being memorable. That is our goal. (Unless you remember that you hated them!!!)

-Atypical hides

-Cool places to visit

That is what I like. I also like DNF logs! Mwahahah. I know there should be a lot more because so many people don't log them. I hear "we've been there 3 times looking for that cache and still can't find it!" Hey- you didn't post one DNF!

I just found my new drug...it's not in the seeking but the hiding that my addiction lies. I was wondering how many people out there have more then one hide, and was wondering what some of your stories are about your personal hides.

Also, is there anyway to check how many hides a given person has?

Just remember it's the quality that counts, not the quanity. I just checked on your hides by double clicking on your name, and then when your info came up, clicked on geocaches. Right side.

Take a look at some of the other forums before you hide too many. everywhere people talk about the quality of a hide and how to keep the integrity of the game high by not just "throwing micro's out the window as you drive down the street". Every bad cache lowers the quality of the experience for all. It's up to us to keep the game quality high.

People like to see caches in places that they want to go to. Parks they've never heard of, places with great views, places of interest, historical markers or places that are hidden. People like cache hides with purpose. Keep that in mind. Caches that teach or show something new. Beautiful places. Interesting places. Hidden trails. Give people a reason to go there besides your cache and they will remember it always with kindness and take their friends to it.

People have written they do not like caches in rock walls behind garbage cans for instance. Or parking lots, or by a children's playground. There are many rules on where Not to hide a cache, I'm talking other than the usual rules, which are very important to read. They are few but important for safety and preservation of the game. Other than the official rules think of the people finding them. I came across another in a park right next to the play equipment (swings etc.) last weekend again. There were only three children playing in the park because of the bad weather, but three are enough to muggle it once we're gone. We left without making the attempt and I wont bother going back to find that one because the odds of me finding a day in the park when there are no children will be pretty slim. There was a fantastic empty park across the street behind that park that is hidden and has many great cache places out of sight. Put your caches in places where people can get to them without having to come back a hundred times. Also, men have said they dont' feel comfortable showing up at a playground by themselves these days, so just don't do playground hides. All around bad idea.

Also, caches wtih identical names near each other can be a real problem, like evil micro #1 and #2 on all within a few blocks. makes keeping them straight while finding with other people, and while logging a nighmare. Be creative. If you put the area in the name people can find it easier, such as Marymoor Park Mary's cache or something.

There are over 770,000 caches out there. Make yours something to remember.

I agree with the previous statement... it's not the quantity, but the quality... seriously, these peanut butter containers sometimes wrapped in plastic garbage bags aren't even watertight, and don't last very long??? Plastic garbage bags not only make lousy camo, but they get torn up, and create pollution. I believe the saying goes, "Cache in, Trash out", not "Cash in Trash in!!!"

Some people like to hid and some like to find. Some like both. I have over 200 active caches right now, so I guess you can include me as one of those who like to hide.

However as others mentioned, don't concentrate so much on how many, but on how good they are. There are people out there who spread throw away caches like pill containers and film canisters around like grass seed. If something happens, rather than taking care of the cache they just archive it.

So concentrate more on using quality containers and placing them in good locations and maintaining them.. Before you place a cache ask yourself if people would want to make a special trip to that spot even if the cache wasn't there. If the answer is no then you might want to consider a different location.

10, 9, 8, 7 ....

My wife and I have always enjoyed hiding as much as finding. The planning, research, container creation, buying swag - checking the coords etc - all much fuhn to us. We have about 110 active hides and counting.

Some people like to hid and some like to find. Some like both. I have over 200 active caches right now, so I guess you can include me as one of those who like to hide.

However as others mentioned, don't concentrate so much on how many, but on how good they are. There are people out there who spread throw away caches like pill containers and film canisters around like grass seed. If something happens, rather than taking care of the cache they just archive it.

I always thought of them as potato chips aimed at couch potato cachers.

So concentrate more on using quality containers and placing them in good locations and maintaining them.. Before you place a cache ask yourself if people would want to make a special trip to that spot even if the cache wasn't there. If the answer is no then you might want to consider a different location.

10, 9, 8, 7 ....

I have 100 active caches, and i've improved as I hid more, and my personal preferences changed.

In the beginning, my earliest hides were nothing spectacular. As I got fed up finding lame caches in lame locations, I decided to only hide the type of caches I would enjoy finding. I try to make each new cache hide an adventure.

I like to combine scenic locations, a history lesson, and a great hike into one cache. My caches require effort, which weeds out 99% of the park and grab crowd. This is fine with me, even though I get fewer logged finds. Those geocachers who do find my caches take the time to write logs other than, "#1 of 181 today TFTC." <_<

Edited by Kit Fox

All good advice, I have 40-something caches hidden.

I hide often because I live in places that usually are just coming around to geocaching. That was the US in before 2001, and then China around 2002... now I seem to be the "Johnny Appleseed" of geocaching in Brazil (Rio) in 2008.

My hope that if I can be a good example of what a quality geocache 'is' that others will hide quality caches too!!

I find that my enjoyment comes balanced easily between the two...

I only find caches that I think I'll remember (esp. those that are a bit challenging or will leave me a special memory) - my cache 'count' is low, but my experience caching is high!

My hide cache 'count' is high compared to most, but my hope for each one is that they will make someone else's 'fond memory' list and not just be another number on their tally.

- Savoy

So far, I've only found caches (however few that is right now). I've been wanting to hide at least one for some time now. I think I'd really enjoy it and all that it entails.

I do have one place that I would love to place a cache. I guess the main reason I haven't placed it yet is that I just don't have a clue who to ask permission to do so and obviously we don't want to place without permission.

Edited by DarthJustice

I never hide more than I can maintain..and I never hide junk (IMO).

I was asked at an event today..."whats your next hide going to entail, and when?" I replied, "my plate is full, i maintain what I place, and no room on the plate for a new cache by me".

I adopted several caches after last years flooding in Iowa, and that keeps me busy!

For myself, I like all the caches that I have placed or adopted (42 of them I think). My Lincoln Highway History series has been a big hit!

Its not about the placed numbers, its what feels good and will bring other cachers to interesting areas that they appreciate!!

JMO...~Jenni

1 hide and 1 more on the way. I have containers ready for 2 more.

I live in an area where the concentration of caches is fairly high. Those who have came before me have done a good job of finding the great little parks, etc. So, to me, I'm going to concentrate on the quality of the hide and the challenge of the puzzle.

I have 2 hides. One is underwater off the side of a dock, and the other is a solar-powered lampost in the middle of the woods at the end of a 3/4 mile hike and about 500 foot elevation rise. I don't plan on doing tons of hides, but I do plan on all my hides being different. Spent over $50 for parts and stuff for each hide to make them just right, and they have both gotten excellent reviews. So don't worry about doing lots of hides, just make neat hides!

I'm going camping this weekend in a gorgeous area, I think I might place my first cache somewhere that is particularly neat. :D

How far from home will the cache be? If it's a long ways away, the reviewer may not publish it because you'll be too far away to maintain it, just something to keep in mind. You might could contact some locals and see if one of them could maintain it for you if you place it.

I'm going camping this weekend in a gorgeous area, I think I might place my first cache somewhere that is particularly neat. :D

How far from home will the cache be? If it's a long ways away, the reviewer may not publish it because you'll be too far away to maintain it, just something to keep in mind. You might could contact some locals and see if one of them could maintain it for you if you place it.

No worries, it's only 30 minutes away.

I have 2 hides. One is underwater off the side of a dock, and the other is a solar-powered lampost in the middle of the woods at the end of a 3/4 mile hike and about 500 foot elevation rise. I don't plan on doing tons of hides, but I do plan on all my hides being different. Spent over $50 for parts and stuff for each hide to make them just right, and they have both gotten excellent reviews. So don't worry about doing lots of hides, just make neat hides!

Now that sounds like an awesome LPC!

We currently have 38 hides. Our first two were pretty lame, but what can you expect from newbies. The majority of our caches come from our series of cemetery caches in our county. Now, do not turn this into a discussion of cemetery caches, if you want to argue, go to another thread. The series is nothing really special, and we tend to not get very good logs because they tend to do multiple caches at a time, but this does not make the quality go down. The cache series takes you through some very beautiful country side and if the time is right, a cemetery packed full of beautiful multicolored flowers. We may not have hit the quality dead on the head, but the series is still a lot of fun.

Is that the one you named "Narnia Bidniss!"? I think so but I want to be sure. It sounds interesting and one I want to do whenever I'm up in OR to find the original cache. I'm adding it to my watchlist.

Please don't focus on the number of hides. Please consider focusing on the quality of the hides.

I don't know how other cachers feel, but I don't quite get a peanut butter jar wrapped in camo tape stuck in a tree at a park. I suppose if it is large enough my kids do like the trade items. Unless it is a nice park, what's the point?

lol... boy that old saying comes to mind. Everyone has an opinion......

I would say to you, to be your own person, and not listen to these "quality over quanity" people. I mean its all subjective isnt it? I enjoy finding any hide. If its hidden well, there is a sense of accomplishment. Sure im personally not going into the city, to find urban caches all day or everytime i cache. But ive done a couple that were great. I like to think we all bring a bit of ourselves to the table with this game, (this is what makes it fun! seeing how others play the game, and maybe taking an idea, and molding it a bit into your own M.O.) I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion and of course to what their "idea" of geocaching should be. But those roadside micros, or urban caches you dont care for, could be right up the alley of the professional, who works entirely too much to get out into the woods and do a 5 mile multi once a week.

I myself have placed several "lame roadside caches". However i counter the "haters" by providing as much info as possible. For instance my group of hide a keys are all at local fishing holes. When able ive posted a topographical map of the body of water, described the types of fish, plants and wildlife you can expect to see- and perhaps given a hint on what type of lure would work best for a "quick cast" when they are done finding the cache. To me, these caches are for the fishermen amongst us. Do i care if joe blow doesnt enjoy my cache? Not at all, i care that joe blow the fisherman got turned on to a new spot to take his children on a nice afternoon, or to launch his boat and do some great fishing at.

Ive also made sure to vary my hides in difficulty. I have some any cacher can "figure otu" when walking up to the GZ, and now i have a couple that have numerous DNF's due to how well they are hidden. Ive recently gotten into different sorts of camo's also.

These things are what make hiding fun for me. Showing you a piece of history is the important part to me, not that the container is big enough for you to put some silver coin from you local supermarket in.

I have 18 caches hidden, and am waiting for my 19th to be published today. Find your own niche- as long as you put some thought into them, you will find you will have people who love them. And we will ALWAYS have people whod rather push their opinions on everyone else, or can find the negative in any situation.

Happy Hiding!!

Free your feet!!! Geocache Barefoot!

I myself have placed several "lame roadside caches". However i counter the "haters" by providing as much info as possible. For instance my group of hide a keys are all at local fishing holes. When able ive posted a topographical map of the body of water, described the types of fish, plants and wildlife you can expect to see...

Those don't sound like the kinds of caches that we so-called haters are always ranting about. The certainly sound like quality caches to me. Tell us about your series hidden on 7-Eleven dumpsters.