What EC that you developed is your best and why?

Konnarock Kid & Marge

Just for the heck of it....what EC that you have developed is your best? Please share the reason why and the GC number. Thanks.

I will lead off with our Mount Rogers - The Summit (GC1NBE3). The reason is because it's a nice difficult hike (10 miles round trip) with many wonderful things to be seen. Among them are a few large volcanic outcrops, a mountain bald, a small natural tunnel, several wild ponies and a summit forest that shouldn't be that far south.

Yours?

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

My favorite (and best) is EarthCache I - simple geology tour of Wasp Head (GCHFT2). It was the very first EC ever developed....and so now we have over 5000 EC, it s the one that make me the most proud!

We have come a long way since this EC...and have learned a lot along the way!

I feel my best is L & C Plattsmouth Confluence. it is the second in a planned series of Lewis and Clark EarthCaches about sites mentioned in their journals. Most visitors have enjoyed taking the logging measurements and comparing them to the Lewis and Clark expeditions observations.

GC1E89M

My favorite (and best) is EarthCache I - simple geology tour of Wasp Head (GCHFT2). It was the very first EC ever developed....and so now we have over 5000 EC, it s the one that make me the most proud!

We have come a long way since this EC...and have learned a lot along the way!

They say you never forget your first time.

GCNJ7E was my first, the first EarthCache in Portugal and it takes you to a location that will leave your jaw hanging in awe. It's like a time warp to another planet.

WOW! I just finished reading all of your entries and it really makes me green with jealousy. Gary, I thought my Mt Roger's ponies were great but to be able to see the kangaroos at your EC site, that's too much.

Lewis and Clark are among my most favorite people from history and catsnfish's series is great. If I am not mistaken, was it Lewis who became very depressed and took his own life in Tennessee or was it Clark? I told you they were among my favorites but I wasn't a great student of history.

Daniel, oh how I wish I could come to Portugal, yours is a beauty. Thanks so much.

P.S. The only reason I started this thread is to find as many ideas to steal as possible! I had a root canal this morning and you guys made my other wise lousy day end on a high note.

Keep it up folks and thanks. Others????? :D

As I had to choose ONE, I thought that I would just add another two to compose the podium a little better.

In Second place:GC1H6GX because you will see that rocks were once plastic and maleable, and soft, and squishy and the scenery is wow!

and in Third place: GC1HFRT because old mines are fascinating. They have character beyond their years, they don't age gracefuly and everything is a contrast of senses, colours and smells.

and this one nearly made it to third place GC1DH1A because something so small and apparently insignificant has so much to tell us.

fa84615a-f411-4183-b04d-17ed1c957335.jpg

nice thread and some wonderful earthcaches posted.

my favorite one is my new one:

GC1Q1MB

seems to be the first t5 earthcache in germany,

like the combination between earthcaches and climbing.

have found a wonderful outcrop where earthcachers can

see opened diabases.

and no, nature will not be hurt by climbing.

the basalt is so hard and massive and there is a good

way to enter the position to get down...:P

As I had to choose ONE, I thought that I would just add another two to compose the podium a little better.

In Second place:GC1H6GX because you will see that rocks were once plastic and maleable, and soft, and squishy and the scenery is wow!

and in Third place: GC1HFRT because old mines are fascinating. They have character beyond their years, they don't age gracefuly and everything is a contrast of senses, colours and smells.

and this one nearly made it to third place GC1DH1A because something so small and apparently insignificant has so much to tell us.

fa84615a-f411-4183-b04d-17ed1c957335.jpg

I believe my caches are being relegated to at best "honorable mention" when compared to these. X marking the spot is very nice and what can you say about a cache developer giving you a home receipt for making PH testing fluid. I can't wait to run to the store an buy up some red cabbage although the lazy man's way is litmus paper but you cannot eat the paper after you are done with it!

danieloliveira's cache on dino stones takes the cake. I know rocks tell a lot of stories but dino stones? WOW. I guess it does fit it in with current theories regarding dinosaurs being more related to birds than we thought! After all, birds swallow small stones to help with digestion.

Thanks so much everyone, this is fun and keep it up. Don't make me go read all 5000 ECs as Gary and crew have done! :P

P.S. Daniel, all of my undergraduate work was in biology and psychology and geology should have been required because the rocks in someone's head tell us far less than those in the Earth!

nice thread and some wonderful earthcaches posted.

my favorite one is my new one:

GC1Q1MB

seems to be the first t5 earthcache in germany,

like the combination between earthcaches and climbing.

have found a wonderful outcrop where earthcachers can

see opened diabases.

and no, nature will not be hurt by climbing.

the basalt is so hard and massive and there is a good

way to enter the position to get down...:D

nebukatneza, I didn't mean to avoid your fine cache. Within the last three weeks, I have discovered an outcrop which is almost all basaltic "green stone". It is the lower part of a volcanic formation that starts with a lot of ryolite at the top with some exposed granite to basalt to the "green stone". Beautiful rock! As I understand it, the green stone is basalt that was metamorphosed?

The discovery was aided by a friend who is a true geologist who said, "dummy, take this map, study this color and go find it!" Well he and his map were off a little but I did make the find. Thanks for your contribution to the fun. Only 4, 993 to go! :P

P.S. I still wish I was a geologist! Envy, envy, envy! Congrats on having the first T-5 in Germany.

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

The favorite one I have developed is Point Imperial on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

c0baca87-0b6a-48c5-9fc9-d4ee0f69db2b.jpg

The North Rim earthcaches are the first at the Grand Canyon. It took several months to get approval from the park, who wanted to review the information and to be sure that the approval was done in the right way - just in time for the visitors center and accommodations at the North Rim to be shutting down for the season. TerryDad2 was helpful in getting me started. One of the questions that they asked was about the relationship between earthcaches and the virtuals in the park, which was a little surprising to me.

I am sure if I had been a more creative person and a better geologist (or a geologist at all) I could have done a better job with this one, but the location makes it worthwhile and the geology of the area is hard to miss. I still regret never being able to get permission from anybody connected with Machu Picchu, which might have been my favorite, but that is another story.

Edited by Erickson