Longest time after a DNF before you found the cache.

Jamie Z

Today I found a cache where I'd previously had a DNF. My DNF was a couple of years ago, and today at the park, things were vaguely familiar, but a little different from what I remember.

When I got home to log the cache I was surprised to see that my DNF was on 3 January 2005, over four years ago. I've probably got older DNFs, but as far as I can tell, that's the longest span I have between DNFing a cache, and eventually finding it.

Anyone else?

Jamie

4 and half years.

It was boat cache, and with the tide running out, we couldn't get to it. I went overboard, thinking to swim in, and discovered that there was about 6 inches of water on top of bottomless muck. Getting myself to something solid and back into the boat was a heck of an effort.

4 and and half years later, I went back in the kayak, paying attention to the tides, and paddled to the cache.

Ammo can rusting away, but still present.

My personal record is 9/21/2003 to 9/13/2008... just short of 5 years. In between there were at least three more unsuccessful attempts. It's not that tough, but the satellite images available in 2003 were confusing to me. When the newer ones came along I was able to see my previous errors.

Great topic! The first cache I looked for was a DNF and it was about 6 months before I found it. Since then there have been a few DNF's that took about a year to find but nothing longer than that. This thread has inspired me to look up some of my oldest DNF's and see if I can find them. The thing that I've noticed is how often a cache that I DNF'd early in my caching career turned out to be a very easy find after 6 months to a year of caching experience.