Noob ?s about a 400T

I recently bought a 400T and loaded a bunch of caches on it for my area and up at camp. My concern is that the logs are going to become outdated!

Can I update logs easily on the 400T? Or do I have to delete the geocache and reload it?

Thanks

I am becoming more familiar with the unit but I want the most up to date cache info!

Jim

The logs will most defiantly become outdated.

What I do is:

I have GC send PQ's weekly (premium membership required/ $30 per year) and copy the latest PQ to the Oregon. I do that on a Thursday, so that I have the most current logs for the weekend.

The filtering isn't a flexiable as GSAK (more $$$) but good enough for me.

I can help you spend more $$$ if you want, just let me know :-)

Sam

The logs will most defiantly become outdated.

What I do is:

I have GC send PQ's weekly (premium membership required/ $30 per year) and copy the latest PQ to the Oregon. I do that on a Thursday, so that I have the most current logs for the weekend.

The filtering isn't a flexiable as GSAK (more $$$) but good enough for me.

I can help you spend more $$$ if you want, just let me know :-)

Sam

The PQs will come in a zip folder containing either one or two files. All I do is plug in my GPSr. Once its in mass storage mode, open my computer and go to oregon/garmin/gpx and drag those 1 or 2 files in there. Then "safely remove" your unit and your good to go. Then the next time you update your PQ, just follow the same steps. The files will be the same name so just let it overwrite. Its about a 2 minute procedure. Hope this helps

I am A TOTAL NOOB!.. What is a PQ? I am not sure I quite understand how to do this. Can anyone explain in a little more laymen terms? You probably are explaining it correctly but I just dont get it.. sorry.

I hook up the Oregon to my lap top via USB cable. I always load my Geocaches through my MyGarmin account.

I am familiar on this process. Do I do this through the myGarmin account or what is the next step

I am so sorry for my ignorance...

Jim

This FAQ describes how to update geocaches on your CO/OR:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Geocaching#toc2

Pocket Queries. PQ's are files containing up to 500 geocaches each which you can have geocaching.com email to you periodically. Once you set up the PQ on gc.com and you receive the email you can easily copy it to your Oregon.

Details here:

http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

and here:

http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/

You'll need to be a premium gc.com member to have access to this feature.

OK. I will become a premium member then. So what your saying is I can take all my caches in my unit and create a custom PQ and it will send me a periodic email with info to drag on to my Oregon?

Do these PQs have to be by a certain area or do pick what ever caches I want in there? I have two areas that I Geocache around at this time. I go near my house and near my camp which is in the mountains and a whole different area for caching. I am just trying to fully grasp the idea here..

I already have the caches on my Oregon. Do I have to go into my Oregon manually and place those caches in the PQ or is there a way they can be automatically uploaded into the PQ?

Will the info / logs appear like they do now when I just scroll down? Or is it a different format?

Thanks for all your help

Jim

Pocket Queries. PQ's are files containing up to 500 geocaches each which you can have geocaching.com email to you periodically. Once you set up the PQ on gc.com and you receive the email you can easily copy it to your Oregon.

Details here:

http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

and here:

http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/

You'll need to be a premium gc.com member to have access to this feature.

Edited by milkman1371

You don't specify particular caches to be included in a PQ. Instead, each PQ is defined by an origin, radius, and a limit on the maximum number of caches retrieved. You can specify the origin as your home coords, an arbitrary lat/lon, a specific cache, etc.

You can specify that the PQ is to be executed automatically, on particular days of the week. Or you can execute it manually when you choose. Either way, each time it executes, you will receive an e-mail containing (usually) two .gpx files. One contains cache info. The other contains info for child waypoints (parking spots, trailheads, etc.).

There is no relationship between caches already on the unit and those in the PQ. I think (not sure here) that caches on the unit with the same name will be replaced by those in the PQ when you put the PQ on the unit. Under normal circumstances, this does not come up because of the way you load the PQ onto the unit.

When you get a new copy of the PQ, you will typically delete the two old .gpx files from your unit. Then you will copy the new .gpx files over to the unit. This has the effect of deleting all the caches (belonging to that .gpx file) and then adding the new ones.

The caches loaded from the PQ will have all the same info, in the same format, as caches loaded individually.

You don't specify particular caches to be included in a PQ. Instead, each PQ is defined by an origin, radius, and a limit on the maximum number of caches retrieved. You can specify the origin as your home coords, an arbitrary lat/lon, a specific cache, etc.

You can specify that the PQ is to be executed automatically, on particular days of the week. Or you can execute it manually when you choose. Either way, each time it executes, you will receive an e-mail containing (usually) two .gpx files. One contains cache info. The other contains info for child waypoints (parking spots, trailheads, etc.).

There is no relationship between caches already on the unit and those in the PQ. I think (not sure here) that caches on the unit with the same name will be replaced by those in the PQ when you put the PQ on the unit. Under normal circumstances, this does not come up because of the way you load the PQ onto the unit.

When you get a new copy of the PQ, you will typically delete the two old .gpx files from your unit. Then you will copy the new .gpx files over to the unit. This has the effect of deleting all the caches (belonging to that .gpx file) and then adding the new ones.

The caches loaded from the PQ will have all the same info, in the same format, as caches loaded individually.

Twolpert,

So should I just delete the caches from my Oregon 400 T and replace them with the PQ? Would that be the easiest so there is no confusion?

Thanks for all your help!

Not sure how you got the caches on the unit in the first place. You said you have logs, which (I thought) meant you had to be a premium member in the first place -- because you need to be a premium member to get anything in .gpx format. But maybe I'm missing something.

In any case, I'd probably just try loading the PQ over what you have and see what happens. If you have problems (for example, if the same cache shows up more than once, or if the new data fails to overwrite the old stuff), you can always delete the whole works and start over. This is very easy since all you have to do is to delete the .gpx files while you have the unit mounted as a removable USB drive (mass storage mode).

One other thing to watch for. The OR has a limit of 200 .gpx files. If you loaded a bunch of caches one at a time (for example, via Send to GPS or by downloading individual .gpx files for each cache), you might have a lot of files on the unit. You will eventually have to delete some of them to make room for more. This is one of the biggest advantages to the PQ -- lots of caches in a single .gpx file.

Recommend you keep your first PQ or two small so you can easily get a handle on what's being downloaded to your unit.

I am not a member and when I download the caches through myGarmin, it links you to geocaching.com. I then just select what ever caches I want and it downloads the logs too!

I am not sure if anyone knew this.

But when I get a chance I will be upgrading my membership. I have doubled 4 days in a row at work! I think I understand the concept about the PQ. I make a PQ, then I can get weekly updates about the PQ from Geocaching.com and overwrite the old PQ with the NEW PQ info in essence updating my logs. I think I understand now!

I will let you know when I upgrade and if I need help

Thanks again.

Jim

Not sure how you got the caches on the unit in the first place. You said you have logs, which (I thought) meant you had to be a premium member in the first place -- because you need to be a premium member to get anything in .gpx format. But maybe I'm missing something.

In any case, I'd probably just try loading the PQ over what you have and see what happens. If you have problems (for example, if the same cache shows up more than once, or if the new data fails to overwrite the old stuff), you can always delete the whole works and start over. This is very easy since all you have to do is to delete the .gpx files while you have the unit mounted as a removable USB drive (mass storage mode).

One other thing to watch for. The OR has a limit of 200 .gpx files. If you loaded a bunch of caches one at a time (for example, via Send to GPS or by downloading individual .gpx files for each cache), you might have a lot of files on the unit. You will eventually have to delete some of them to make room for more. This is one of the biggest advantages to the PQ -- lots of caches in a single .gpx file.

Recommend you keep your first PQ or two small so you can easily get a handle on what's being downloaded to your unit.

I am not a member and when I download the caches through myGarmin, it links you to geocaching.com. I then just select what ever caches I want and it downloads the logs too!

I am not sure if anyone knew this.

But when I get a chance I will be upgrading my membership. I have doubled 4 days in a row at work! I think I understand the concept about the PQ. I make a PQ, then I can get weekly updates about the PQ from Geocaching.com and overwrite the old PQ with the NEW PQ info in essence updating my logs. I think I understand now!

I will let you know when I upgrade and if I need help

Thanks again.

Jim

is there still the premium member free trial on

When I bought the Colarado it GIVES you premium membership when you first log in may be he has that and does ot know