Egypt doesn't like GPS to be in civilian hands

Just a reminder that not every country is as open as the US is in allowing the civilian GPS industry to flourish! A recent article published by Canoe in Canada.

http://blog.canoe.ca/canoedossier/2009/01/..._tool_in_phones

They’ve demanded that Apple remove all GPSr from their new iPhones before they’re allowed to distribute the phones in Egypt. They’re entire explanation for the ultimatum is “that GPS functionality should be limited to military purposes.”

Nothing else? No examples or actual reasoning behind the demand?

And as popular Egyptian blogger Ahmed Gabr has pointed out, what use is eliminating GPS if tools like Google Earth are still available and can provide a much more accurate look at a person’s location and surroundings?

I’d think that a terrain or satellite image of an area could provide much more information to your run-of-the-mill terrorist than an iPhone’s GPS.

There are approximately 106 caches in Egypt. I wonder how cachers in that country feel about their countries position???

Just a reminder that not every country is as open as the US is in allowing the civilian GPS industry to flourish! A recent article published by Canoe in Canada.

They’ve demanded that Apple remove all GPSr from their new iPhones before they’re allowed to distribute the phones in Egypt. They’re entire explanation for the ultimatum is “that GPS functionality should be limited to military purposes.”

And as popular Egyptian blogger Ahmed Gabr has pointed out, what use is eliminating GPS if tools like Google Earth are still available and can provide a much more accurate look at a person’s location and surroundings?

I’d think that a terrain or satellite image of an area could provide much more information to your run-of-the-mill terrorist than an iPhone’s GPS.

There are approximately 106 caches in Egypt. I wonder how cachers in that country feel about their countries position???

This is a good reminder to check to see if GPSrs are allowed in a country before you travel. You don't want your mondo expensive new super-garmin to be confiscated. At the very least, I'll be investing in a cheapo geko before my Russia trip.

The following is my perspective as an Egyptian tourist

Having successfully got back home from the land of Pharos with my GPSr I thought I would share my experiences.

I was told that the authorities are not interested in taking GPSrs from arriving tourists.

When I arrived Passport control was more interested in making sure that you had your $15 Visa that you need to buy just after you get off the plane.

The customs part was even easier, just showed my American Passport and I was waved through.

I always tried keep my GPSr low key so to as not attract attention. The one time a Tourist Police asked about it I told him it was a large mobile phone.

I found 12 caches in Egypt including 2 FTFs it was fun to get 11% of the caches in a country.

Wow.. Well... Being that my religious belief would guarantee my execution in Egypt, I think I'll stay on this side of the pond. How about Canada? I'll be caching there (BC) in June!

Wow.. Well... Being that my religious belief would guarantee my execution in Egypt, I think I'll stay on this side of the pond. How about Canada? I'll be caching there (BC) in June!

No one ever gets executed in Canada. However, if you insult the Queen, they will slap you around a little bit.

I don't understand...how do the caches get hidden if not with a GPS?

A friend returned from Egypt not too long ago, and she cached eveywhere she could including near some pyramids. The guides she had never mentioned anything about GPS units, or at least she never told me about it (and she'd have told me if it had come up).

No one ever gets executed in Canada. However, if you insult the Queen, they will slap you around a little bit.

Of course if they go on the radio and insult Canadians in general, we just throw the gravy from our poutine in their faces, put them on YouTube, ask them to leave and quit from their singing tours! :P

And as popular Egyptian blogger Ahmed Gabr has pointed out, what use is the nating GPS if tools like Google Earth are still available and can provide a much more accurate look at a person’s location and surroundings?

This is a good reminder to check to see if GPSrs are allowed in a country before you travel. You don't want your mondo expensive new super-garmin to be confiscated. At the very least, I'll be investing in a cheapo geko before my Russia trip.

They know the truth, they did not build the Sphinx or the great pyrimid, the guy in charge of digs is especially protective of those monuments even-though ground penetrating radar has proven the existiance of spaces under both monuments. Until times change we won't know the truth. Sad, the legacy of humanity may go far back into history. Still, it remains to be seen, what really happened?

Canada has a queen? What's his name?

Just a reminder must countries in that part of the world are bass ackward and only deserve the the BEST GPS guided packages. :)

Stephen Harper, of brokeback mountain fame.

But seriously though, any free and civilized country will allow a GPS in civilian hands. I know Cuba also has problems with GPS units, but you can get a permit for them if you take the time to fill out the appropriate paper work.. and aren't an american. All the geocaches there tend to be GPSless friendly though, they are pretty specific.

Other then Egypt that is the only country I have heard an issue was had at.

PS - the picture of poutine got me hungry, honestly

from Ken Cochrane's article:

The bottom line here is to do a little investigation before you leave home. Contact the Embassy or Consulate office of your destination countries. You should ask specific questions about the electronic equipment you plan to bring. Find out if they have any regulations about bringing portable electronic equipment into their country. You might be surprised by what you learn. Things like cell phones, walkie talkies, GPS receivers or short-wave receivers are usually on the prohibited list. I don't know if this is still true, but it used to be illegal to bring a tape player to Thailand. Based upon the information you obtain, you can then decide if you are going to take your GPS or other electronic device. If you do take a GPS, use it discretely. Keep it in your pack or a small camera case while not in use. Never use it around a police or military facility. It might not be a bad idea to delete unneeded saved waypoints as you go along. Should you get into a bad situation, it's just one less position you might have to explain. Never sell your GPS receiver to a local resident. If you are going to work in a place which has GPS restrictions and you need GPS to perform this work, it is especially important to do your homework. Get a letter from the Consulate or Embassy giving you permission to have and use your equipment. Keep it with you while you are using your GPS. It might be wise to have this letter in both English and the local language.

more here- http://gpsinformation.net/main/gpstravel.htm

Stephen Harper, of brokeback mountain fame.

But seriously though, any free and civilized country will allow a GPS in civilian hands. I know Cuba also has problems with GPS units, but you can get a permit for them if you take the time to fill out the appropriate paper work.. and aren't an american. All the geocaches there tend to be GPSless friendly though, they are pretty specific.

Other then Egypt that is the only country I have heard an issue was had at.

PS - the picture of poutine got me hungry, honestly

Post #17.

Thank you. <_<

Here ya' go, Queen of Canada Tomorrow is her Birthday, as a matter of fact. I know this becuase I share it with her, along with other hugely famous people Tony Danza and Robert Smith from The Cure. :(

Problems with Cuba are well documented amongst Canadian cachers. I'm also quite certain you wouldn't be able to get a GPS into North Korea, not that there are any caches there.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

tip for american citizens returning from quebec on busy weekends:

stop a few miles short of the border and buy a plate of poutine at $4, a plate as big as your head. get plenty of napkins and take your time. by the time you get to the idiot-in-a-hat and explain that that you are returning with nothing to declare besides chocolate, cookies, and beer, you will have finished the whole thing and you'll hardly notice the three hour wait time.

remember: even if they won't let you back into the US, don't make a fuss. eventually the canadians will deport you for failure to have a job.

Here ya' go, Queen of Canada Tomorrow is her Birthday, as a matter of fact. I know this becuase I share it with her, along with other hugely famous people Tony Danza and Robert Smith from The Cure. :D

Problems with Cuba are well documented amongst Canadian cachers. I'm also quite certain you wouldn't be able to get a GPS into North Korea, not that there are any caches there.

No electricity either.

Poutine???

Looks very much like one of Northern England's finest dishes.

Chips 'n' Gravy with extra lard ball on the side.

PS...rather disgusting!

PPS...having been to Egypt 3 times, I think I'll cache elsewhere.

That's not lard! Those are cheese curds in the poutine. For some reason, Canada has the best cheese curd.

And as popular Egyptian blogger Ahmed Gabr has pointed out, what use is the nating GPS if tools like Google Earth are still available and can provide a much more accurate look at a person’s location and surroundings?

They know the truth, they did not build the Sphinx or the great pyrimid, the guy in charge of digs is especially protective of those monuments even-though ground penetrating radar has proven the existiance of spaces under both monuments. Until times change we won't know the truth. Sad, the legacy of humanity may go far back into history. Still, it remains to be seen, what really happened?

You are missing the pepper! Lots and lots of pepper!