Reinstating an archived cache

This if for Eckington.. but not sure if he'll see it here..! Ref GC1B5DX which you published for us 13 April 2008. We recently archived this cache as the Fallen Tree it was hidden in had been cleared away and we thought the cache had gone. However, we've since discovered that it is still in the area .. same co-ordintates .. so would like it reinstated. When I try to edit the log it says that only Eckington can authorise..!!! Are you out there Eckington..?? Thanks - AlfieBears's Mum

This if for Eckington.. but not sure if he'll see it here..! Ref GC1B5DX which you published for us 13 April 2008. We recently archived this cache as the Fallen Tree it was hidden in had been cleared away and we thought the cache had gone. However, we've since discovered that it is still in the area .. same co-ordintates .. so would like it reinstated. When I try to edit the log it says that only Eckington can authorise..!!! Are you out there Eckington..?? Thanks - AlfieBears's Mum

I don't think Eckington exists in that guise anymore - I'm sure any of the local reviewers can help you, not just Eckington.

I tried unArchiving a cache in France, I was told there was a 6 month time limit on doing this...

Groundspeak has asked the reviewers not to unarchive caches that have been out of circulation for a long time, with a suggestion that 3-6 months is the right sort of time frame. If it's the cache which I'm thinking of, it had been archived for about two years when you asked.

Other factors also enter into consideration (as usual, this can be considered "flexibility" or "inconsistency" :laughing:). For example, the cache which you wanted to have unarchived was owned by somebody else, and the reviewers have been specifically asked not to unarchive caches just so that they can be adopted.

Groundspeak has asked the reviewers not to unarchive caches that have been out of circulation for a long time, with a suggestion that 3-6 months is the right sort of time frame.

I just came across your posting when I searched for postings dealing with unarchiving caches.

It is interesting to read that you write 3-6 months while some German speaking reviewers insist on a strict 3 months rule.

In any case, I cannot understand the background of a general time limit for unarchiving caches. It goes without saying that caches to be eligible for becoming unarchived first need to be checked whether they fulfill the current version of the guidelines and all distance restrictions. If a cache passes all these tests, then I cannot see any single reason why publishing a new cache which is identical to the old one makes more sense than unarchiving the old one. It is quite annoying to encounter caches that one has already visited again on one's nearest list and it also feels ridiculous to me to write a new found it log for a cache that I did not need to search as I have been there previously (but that's the only way to get rid of them).

I would like to know whether it is indeed the recommended policy of Groundspeak that a cache hidden by cacher X which has been archived for longer than 3 months (say 9 months for example) becomes duplicated by the same hider (NB: I am not talking about cases where adoption is involved) instead of getting unarchived.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne