Linking given log entries within log entries

Haferle

Sometimes, I write stories as cache logs. Sometimes, I write connected stories across several cache logs. In order to give the reader easy access to the previous content I want to be able to set links to other log entries within a log entry, but I can't find a solution for that. So my question: Is it actually possible to set links within log entries, even local ones, i.e. linking to a local page (GC realm) ??

Thx, Haferle

yeah! what Lil Devil said. Except I would add --

After you write and submit the log Click on the visit log link and copy the url of that page into the brackets.

It should look like

{url=http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=21825a72-37f2-44af-8a96-fb0cc90d4bbd}similar to this{/url}

similar to this

Edited by geode hunter

I do this occasionally, but it's alot of work. Here's an example. The procedure I follow is:

1) Write down the complete text of all your cache logs in a text file. This also helps with proofreading.

2) Go to the first cache you want to log, copy the log text from your text file and submit it.

3) After clicking the Submit Log Entry button, navigate back to the cache page and click on the [view/edit logs/images] link associated with the log you just posted. This should be the log page with the URL that we want to link to. The URL should contain the string "log.aspx?LUID=" followed by a long string of letters and numbers. Keep this window open for later.

3) Go to the second cache in a separate browser window, and post your second log. When you do, include the URL of the log you want to link to using the instructions from the posts above mine. I refer to it as "Previous log:"

4) Again, go to the second cache page, click on the [view/edit logs/images] to go to the second log you just posted. Copy the URL. Now return to the first log you posted (you kept that window open, right?) edit your log and paste the URL into it. Give it a descriptive name like "Next Log:".

5) Now post your third cache log. When you do, include the URL to the second log. Again, go back to the cache page immediately after hitting submit and click on [view/edit logs/images]. Like above, copy the URL from the third log, edit the second log, and paste in the link to the third log.

6) Do the same for the fourth, fifth, sixth, etc.

The trick is that you have about 20 minutes to edit a log without getting the "edited" notice appended to it. So, when you sit down to post your logs, do them all in one sitting unless you don't mind a few of them showing that they were edited. You can edit a log many times within this timeframe, but I recommend practicing for a bit first if you think things may get complicated.

DavidMac described it pretty well. If you want a lot of examples, look for username 'flask', who does this routinely.

I often do something similar. I don't actually link to the newxt/previous log, just the next/previous cache, for three reasons:

1) I give the reader credit for being able to find my log entry.

2) I figure the reader might be interested in the cache description too.

3) It's a lot less work, since all the cache URLs are available in advance, so it doesn't require the editing that the log-linking method does.

Edward

I do this occasionally, but it's alot of work. Here's an example. The procedure I follow is:

1) Write down the complete text of all your cache logs in a text file. This also helps with proofreading.

2) Go to the first cache you want to log, copy the log text from your text file and submit it.

3) After clicking the Submit Log Entry button, navigate back to the cache page and click on the [view/edit logs/images] link associated with the log you just posted. This should be the log page with the URL that we want to link to. The URL should contain the string "log.aspx?LUID=" followed by a long string of letters and numbers. Keep this window open for later.

3) Go to the second cache in a separate browser window, and post your second log. When you do, include the URL of the log you want to link to using the instructions from the posts above mine. I refer to it as "Previous log:"

4) Again, go to the second cache page, click on the [view/edit logs/images] to go to the second log you just posted. Copy the URL. Now return to the first log you posted (you kept that window open, right?) edit your log and paste the URL into it. Give it a descriptive name like "Next Log:".

5) Now post your third cache log. When you do, include the URL to the second log. Again, go back to the cache page immediately after hitting submit and click on [view/edit logs/images]. Like above, copy the URL from the third log, edit the second log, and paste in the link to the third log.

6) Do the same for the fourth, fifth, sixth, etc.

The trick is that you have about 20 minutes to edit a log without getting the "edited" notice appended to it. So, when you sit down to post your logs, do them all in one sitting unless you don't mind a few of them showing that they were edited. You can edit a log many times within this timeframe, but I recommend practicing for a bit first if you think things may get complicated.

David is right about it being a lot of work, and his procedure is spot on... except for one thing.

I work backwards.

I post the last log first. Once the last log is posted, you have the URL to post in the penultimate log. And so forth back to the first log. This eliminates having to edit preceeding logs and the annoying Last Edited By line on the bottom.

What I usually to is link back to the first log from the last log, so if someone were so inclined to read the report starting from the middle, they could reach the end and go to the beginning.

Man.. I wonder if the PaterQuest logs still work. bncry.gif

Jamie