Pocket Queries [PQ's] and what's going...

Raine

I found a small inclusion filter that needed to be fixed. Route PQ's should be on there way to you right now.

-Raine

How long should we expect it to take? I see that Castle Mischief's Route PQ ran but the 3 that I have checked to run today still have not. I have run only one other PQ in the last 24 hours. The one I mentioned in my earlier post that ran yesterday.

Our goal is to provide a link which will allow you to download your PQ directly from the website.

-Raine

This would be in ADDITION to the current options? (Most of the time I am happy to have my PQs generate automatically and be e-mailed to me.)

I would bet not.

In an email (push) system, the PQ is always generated, and if it's on a schedule, it will keep generating even after you die, wasting processing time and affecting everyone else.

In a download (pull) system, it requires human interaction to get the PQ. If the system finds you don't download your PQ for several weeks, it could discontinue generating them, thus saving processing time for those that are actually using their PQs.

That said, they could still send you an email with just a link to download the file. That way you'll know when it's ready, but they can still track if you're actually using your PQ or not.

All this is just a guess, but that's how I would set it up.

I created a new pocket query from Geocaching Maps. Set it to run today. Usually, new pocket queries run immediately. It's been about 15 or 20 minutes now and the PQ has not yet generated, according to my Pocket Query page.

it's the only active pocket query I have...

Others mentioned the Route PQs not running, I'm wondering if maybe there's a problem with the map-generated PQs.

Jamie

I want to draw attention to this post by Raine again. Because emails were not parsing correctly, in many cases the PQs were sent to the primary address associated with your account, and not the alternative address you may have entered when creating the PQ.

Can you please allow the plus sign (+) again in the local part of an email address?

Our goal is to provide a link which will allow you to download your PQ directly from the website.

-Raine

This would be in ADDITION to the current options? (Most of the time I am happy to have my PQs generate automatically and be e-mailed to me.)

I would bet not.

In an email (push) system, the PQ is always generated, and if it's on a schedule, it will keep generating even after you die, wasting processing time and affecting everyone else.

In a download (pull) system, it requires human interaction to get the PQ. If the system finds you don't download your PQ for several weeks, it could discontinue generating them, thus saving processing time for those that are actually using their PQs.

That said, they could still send you an email with just a link to download the file. That way you'll know when it's ready, but they can still track if you're actually using your PQ or not.

Good explanation :D

But I can hear the moans now..."I want my PQ's in my Inbox when I get up/after I get home from work."

But I can hear the moans now..."I want my PQ's in my Inbox when I get up/after I get home from work."

There are days when I don't have time or internet access to generate a download. Should I lose those 5 PQs due to my work / travel schedule? While there are times I would love to use a direct download method to retrieve my PQ data, I would hat to not able to schedule other PQs to be run and delivered while I am otherwise busy.

I know people are already looking into the recent PQ issues, but I thought I'd add my issue to the list. I have created 31 PQ's in preparation for GeoWoodstock. I successfully ran each of them about a month ago. On Sunday, I started to flag them to be re-run ... 5 PQ's a day. The first 15 have run, however none of the emails have arrived. I use my primary email address for these PQ's.

Should I re-run these, or patiently wait to see if they show up. Could they be stuck in a queue somewhere? I still have 16 PQ's ready to run, the next 5 will be run in 2 hours.

So ... do I sit back and be patient, or start re-running my PQ's?

Don't get me wrong....I'm not supporting one way over the other. I was just stated a fact if GS goes to the pull system method that has been mentioned what will probably happen.

I hope they can have both because I do like to schedule ahead of time sometimes and then there are times I would like to be able to download at that moment and not have to wait for a PQ to generate and mail to me.

Don't get me wrong....I'm not supporting one way over the other. I was just stated a fact if GS goes to the pull system method that has been mentioned what will probably happen.

I may have over-interpreted the word "moans". Perhaps if you had used "completely justified complaints".

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them. Thanks.

I defined my pocket queries to sent by email "uncompressed", so I can drag the gpx-file from the email directly to the GPS (Oregon).

But: Since this week I get the XML-Pocket query inline with the E-mail-text, not longer as attachement!

I may have over-interpreted the word "moans". Perhaps if you had used "completely justified complaints".

LOL. I stand corrected :)

-Raine

I would bet not.

Things in which I had not thought of already. Can we have a Option to Send to E-mail, but still be able to download on a whimb? That would be a nice feature for those that have scripts already set up to grab the files from their e-mail.

The Steaks

There are days when I don't have time or internet access to generate a download. Should I lose those 5 PQs due to my work / travel schedule?

That's a flawed argument. If you don't have internet to download your PQ, you wouldn't be able to get your email either.

I have tried several times in the last few months to RUN a PQ for "Caches along a Route". All I get is an error message. It doesn't even get through! What's going on?

I used to be able to run them with no problem and am doing them the same way. I have no idea why they don't work now.

I can get just plain PQs fine, just no Caches along a route.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

El Dorado Kid

There are days when I don't have time or internet access to generate a download. Should I lose those 5 PQs due to my work / travel schedule?

That's a flawed argument. If you don't have internet to download your PQ, you wouldn't be able to get your email either.

The e-mail would be stored at Google, waiting for me to return to make use of it. That way I didn't lose my opportunity of the 5 PQs a day.

This is the second week in a row that I tried to run a "my finds" pocket query and it said it generated but never made it to my e-mail. The 2 regular pocket queries made it to my e-mail just fine. I have never had this problem with it in the past. Is anybody else having this problem????

This is the second week in a row that I tried to run a "my finds" pocket query and it said it generated but never made it to my e-mail. The 2 regular pocket queries made it to my e-mail just fine. I have never had this problem with it in the past. Is anybody else having this problem????

Yes a few other people have posted about this issue in this thread allready no reply from TPTB yet.

Most annoying as we are making a concious effort to fill in our D and T grid and since we started have not recieved a my finds PQ.

They must be somewhere clogging up a server or something surely ??

OK, on the "my finds" PQ problem. I ran mine without any problems.

It's been noted in a different PQ thread that some of the PQ's that were supposed to be sent to an "alternate email address" were being sent to the account's listed email address. Could this be the source of what seems like a "hit and miss" issue?

Those of you that have reported not getting your "my finds" PQ, check to see that your "listed" e-mail address is the same as the one you currently get your email on. You can check that by going to your profile page and clicking on "edit my profile".

As for the caches along a route PQ, the one I've been running for a couple weeks has been running fine, Also tried to create a new one, it ran perfectly, was in my inbox before I finished looking at the preview.

Yes a few other people have posted about this issue in this thread allready no reply from TPTB yet.

Most annoying as we are making a concious effort to fill in our D and T grid and since we started have not recieved a my finds PQ.

They must be somewhere clogging up a server or something surely ??

The only thing I did different was click the button to "add to queue" before the entire 7 days was up. It is allowing you to click it right at the end of 6 days. I hit the button once this time and came back to the computer an hour later and hit the add button again, since it wasn't light gray yet (the way it goes after it generates). This morning it said it generated about 3 hours after that. I think the problem is you probably have to wait the full 168 hours (7 full days) before adding the "my finds" to the queue although it is allowing you to do it after 6 days. It may also be that you only need to hit the button once and multiple clicks are screwing it up. That's all I can come up with.

The last 2 weeks I haven't received my "My Finds" pocket query. The button that says add to queue goes from light gray (after last generation) to bold (add to queue) after 6 days (144 hours). I think this might be where I've gone wrong in the last two weeks. The system is allowing us to add to queue the "my finds" query before the 7th full day is up (168 hours) and that is the reason it is generating but not sending it to me. The only other thing I can think of is that I hit the "add to queue" twice last night. Once right after the button went from light gray to bold. An hour later it didn't generate so I clicked it again. This morning I checked it and it said it generated about 3 hours after the second click of the button. Maybe clicking it more than once is causing this. I guess I'll have to try waiting and only clicking it one time next week. Also my e-mail address is the right one where it is being sent. I did get 2 regular pocket queries last night and they came right through. This really sucks because I'm trying to complete the VA county challenge and haven't got a "my finds" query in 3 weeks. :)

I still haven't received the My Finds query from Monday. Checked my email address, it's fine, and hasn't changed in a year. I have run this query on a Monday the last couple weeks. If the button was lit, I would have clicked it, and it may not have been exactly 7 days.

I'll control myself on Monday, wait until a later time of the day and not double click! Other than this, I get all my pocket queries.

I tried to run the pocket query for my finds yesterday morning. I thought I clicked the button, but noticed after being on the page for 30 seconds or so that the date didn't get updated, so I clicked it again. The date changed, and I happily waited for the results, which didn't arrive.

Later in the day, I grumbled to a friend, who mentioned that this happened to him when he clicked the button twice accidently.

I've had to click the button twice for months now. Unless I hit it the second time the thing never generates. Hit the button once- pages refreshes with no changes. Hit it again- pages refreshes and now the button is greyed out.

I have to click between 10-15 times, and refresh the page 2 -3 times before my my finds PQ will run. The site has just gotten horrible since all the updates they've done. Now we also don't get any new notifications here in Ohio of new caches.

All of my standard PQ scheduled for April 14 were well received yesterday.

But I am still waiting for the My Finds PQ which shows that it was generated at 4/14/2009 12:41:29 PM

I have a similar problem. I requested a "My Finds" Query yesterday afternoon but the request was never indicated on the My Finds area of the web page. This morning on my Pocket Queries page it indicates the query ran at 9:34:06 PM but I have not recieved the file. Does this mean I have to wait another seven days before I can try again?

All of my standard PQ scheduled for April 14 were well received yesterday.

But I am still waiting for the My Finds PQ which shows that it was generated at 4/14/2009 12:41:29 PM

I have a similar problem. I requested a "My Finds" Query yesterday afternoon but the request was never indicated on the My Finds area of the web page. This morning on my Pocket Queries page it indicates the query ran at 9:34:06 PM but I have not recieved the file. Does this mean I have to wait another seven days before I can try again?

It looks that way. It happened to me last week and I had to wait again. It happened again last night. May have to do with my previous post.

I still haven't received the My Finds query from Monday. Checked my email address, it's fine, and hasn't changed in a year. I have run this query on a Monday the last couple weeks. If the button was lit, I would have clicked it, and it may not have been exactly 7 days.

I'll control myself on Monday, wait until a later time of the day and not double click! Other than this, I get all my pocket queries.

Got my query, :-) :-), thanks!

Do your route pq's show as being generated yet?

I managed to get a pre-existing route pq to generate by clicking the box for Tuesday, but my new route pq has yet to fire off. I've tried archiving it and recreating it- no dice. I've also tried clicking the box off and on (and leaving it alone for an hour) and nothing. I've only hit three of my limit for the day.

We tried similar things including shortening the name and removing the .kml extesion from the name. No luck so far. Our non-route PQs are working fine today.

I tried creating a copy of the non-generating route pq and no luck there either.

I have tried to run a PQ for Caches along a Route for over a month now and have not had a single one get generated. I don't understand why.

I have tried running old PQs along a route that worked in the past, and they don't even work. I've tried contacting geocaching.com and they haven't responded.

I AM a premium member, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Ok, I got home and there was a "my finds" query in my e-mail. Major problem though. The "my finds" that came today had 23 separate files (containing 500 caches) inside the zip file and about the same amount of waypoint/parking coords inside it as well. These should have been all made into one file for caches and one file for waypoints like the last "my finds" file which I received 3 weeks ago did. My 'my finds" query from last week never came as well. The one three weeks ago loaded into "it'snotaboutthenumbers.com" just fine. The 'my finds" query that came today won't work. I hope this can be taken care of soon since I haven't been able to load a "my finds" query into "itsnotabouthenumbers.com" for 3 weeks and I'm trying to complete the VA county challenge and I need to have a GOOD "my finds" that works. Anybody else having this problem???

I just got my "My Finds" PQ a few minutes ago and it seems just fine. It has the right number of finds (assuming they are the right ones!). Only one file in it - no extra waypoints.

And, no, I never received last weeks either. But I'm back in business now.

It seems odd that you received 23 separate files of 500 waypoints each.

I've also experienced the need to click multiple time on the button to generate the "my finds" PQ. Slightly annoying yes, but I can live with it.

As for caches along a route PQ's, not to start a flame war, but check to make sure you are following the instructions to the letter. The process could be streamlined a bit IMHO.

I've also experienced the need to click multiple time on the button to generate the "my finds" PQ. Slightly annoying yes, but I can live with it.

I also thought this was true. But, I've found that you only have to click it once and it will eventually gray out. It may have something to do with when the scheduler sees the request, and hitting the button multiple times really doesn't help or do anything.