Garmin Etrex

I have been out today trying to help a new cacher, they have a etrex and its been set up ok, but their gps compass needle points them away from a cache and around 50ft out. compared to my vista. Is this normal?

should it be set to true or mag north?

is it possible to reset to factory settings?

Don't forget the eTrex is not a magnetic compass - it only works properly when moving (ie walking). Once you stop it might point anywhere as it was no idea where North is.

I have been out today trying to help a new cacher, they have a etrex and its been set up ok, but their gps compass needle points them away from a cache and around 50ft out. compared to my vista. Is this normal?

Don't forget the eTrex is not a magnetic compass - it only works properly when moving (ie walking). Once you stop it might point anywhere as it was no idea where North is.

Yea like hawkeye81 says you have to keep moving for the arrow to point to the correct location, a bit of tracking back is needed sometimes. Always try and trust where the neddle is pointing as you approach GZ with the e-trex. I have had my yellow one six years and its still going strong. :rolleyes:

It's not clear to me from your wording if you are referring to a position error or a compass error.

Assuming that you are referring to a compass error, some versions of the eTrex have an electronic compass. This has to be calibrated before use, and if mine is anything to go by, about every 30 seconds thereafter :rolleyes: . Its only advantage is that if it is working correctly it should continue to work when you are standing still. A compass direction derived from the GPS signals will only work when you are moving at approximately walking pace or faster. The downside is that if it is not working correctly it will point in the wrong direction all the time :lol: . I find it is a liablility and have it permanenty turned off. You can turn it off by pressing the top right button for 1 second.

If you are referring to a position error, then by far the most likely problem is that you have it set to OSGB datum instead of WGS84. This will give an error of between 0 metres and about 200 metres depending on whereabouts in the UK you are.

Edited to say I've just seen your note that it is on the correct datum. Given a good signal, there really isn't any reason why a GPSr should give an error like this. Still assuming you are referring to a positional error, is it consistent in direction and distance, and is it present when you are right out in the open with a good view of the sky all round?

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

The gprs compass was pointing away from the cache and still counting down in feet to cache, I knew where the cache was, the new member continued to follow gprs and would have failed to find the cache, until I gave her mine vista.

Do you mean the compass or the pointer showing the bearing to the cache?

There is no particular reason why the compass should point to the cache, that all depends on if the cache is north of you or not.

I suspect that you might be referring to the bearing to the cache. If so, how good was the signal at the time? On most GPSrs the bearing is read by taking two readings very close together, if the signal quality is poor it may fail to get good enough readings to provide an accurate direction. There are 2 basic versions of the eTrex, one of which has a higher sensitivity receiver than the other, maybe the other one is a lower sensitivity unit. Try again with a clear sky and see if it works then.

I often find a magnetic compass to be very useful for caching, for situations just like this.

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

The gprs compass was pointing away from the cache and still counting down in feet to cache, I knew where the cache was, the new member continued to follow gprs and would have failed to find the cache, until I gave her mine vista.

Which etrex is it?

I had the Etrex H and the only problem I had were when the batteries were low, it would lead me astray sometimes.

I now have the etrex vista and this once had a complete flip out and pointed all over the place until I removed the batteries and put them back in. And you will know how to set the compass ok on the Vista.

The only other problem I had when I 1st got it was by moving the waypoint on the gps map by playing with the joystick on my Vista and I didn't realise. This led me 100ft away from the cache meaning Wife found it using my old Etrex H. I only figured it out when I got home and checked the co ords and realised my mistake, I was all for sending the Vista back to Garmin. :rolleyes: