Log sheet paper?

SkellyCA

I carry a waterproof notebook and occasionally add to full logs (did this the other day) with a page from it but have also seen logs printed on a more plastic based thing than what I use. I have found that these are great logs except for when they're meant to be put in a bison tube. They are slightly thicker than normal paper and even worse, they don't actually tear. Instead they stretch, making any of the mistakes of the finder in the logging process an actual increase on the virtual bulk of the log. I recently encountered a log like this in a bison tube that was impossible to re-roll into a tight enough roll for the tube. I spent 3 minutes on the find and 20 or so trying to get that sucker back into the container :laughing: When I found it, it was outside the container and inside the cache guardian (rather than screwed into the bison tube) but I was able to at least attach the thing back together and send a NM email to the cacher who is taking care of the cache atm... Anyway, longwindedly, I think that these are great but if you print logs for micros in them, think about the consequences B)

I might pick some of this up though for some caches :D thanks!

I've used National Geographic Adventure Paper for logs. It is pretty good, but there are several problems. First pens work on it but pencils don't. Second, it gets brittle after time. Finally, I still kept getting complaints about the wet logbook (yeah I know it gets wet that's why I used NGAP there). Some wouldn't even try signing it even though you can easily sign it when it is wet.

I`m not a big fan of waterproof paper. If your cache is damp enough that a waterproof log is needed, it`s damp enough to ruin everything else in the cache. You might as well invest your money in a more waterproof container. Also, I usually carry a mechanical pencil with me to sign micro logs, and those don`t work well together. If you do leave a waterproof log, make sure you also leave a pen that can write on it.

Edited by Happy Bubbles

I`m not a big fan of waterproof paper. If your cache is damp enough that a waterproof log is needed, it`s damp enough to ruin everything else in the cache. You might as well invest your money in a more waterproof container. Also, I usually carry a mechanical pencil with me to sign micro logs, and those don`t work well together. If you do leave a waterproof log, make sure you also leave a pen that can write on it.

Excellent point. Thank you.

If you do leave a waterproof log, make sure you also leave a pen that can write on it.

All or nothing with our latest cache. If you place a cache there it must have a log. If there must be a log, it must be waterproof. If it must be waterproof you will need a pen. If you do not have a pen, you cannot log it.

The description states that you need to bring a pen though.

Besides- how many caches have pens that don't work?

Our cache is 10 feet from parking so not bringing a pen isn't such a big deal if you have one in your car.

-Don't razz me on being 10 feet away from car. It is an atypical hide and half the logs are DNF's. (And i know several who just wont log their DNF's!)

I have a waterproof-paper log in my cache. I have a god container for it, and everything in it is in a Ziploc baggie, but being 8 feet underwater makes a waterproof log necessary, just as a precation. And hopefully finders will take that into consideration with what they leave behind, too.

I'm using Rite in the Rain paper with the cache note and log lines done on a laser printer. I was really glad that the log was done this way when one of my small caches got a NM log. It turns out that somebody had pierced the lid of the Lock N Lock container, and everything in the cache was wet. Once I got it back home, I set everything out to dry, including the log. By the time the new container was ready to go, (a couple hours later) I looked at the log, and could not tell it had ever been wet. I think I'll keep using it.

Thoughts on using Waterproof paper to print your logs on?

Rather expensive. A less expensive alternative would be to use waterproof copier paper. You can't print on it using an inkjet, but you can use a laser printer, or print onto regular inkjet paper, then use a photocopier to transfer to this paper.

Edit : the Rite-in-the-Rain site also said this about their inkjet paper : "Can be written on with all-weather pens only." Additional inconvenience.

Edit2 : oops - changed the text in bold above.

Edited by Chrysalides
Thoughts on using Waterproof paper to print your logs on?

Rather expensive. A less expensive alternative would be to use waterproof copier paper. You can print on it using an inkjet, but you can use a laser printer, or print onto regular inkjet paper, then use a photocopier to transfer to this paper.

Edit : the Rite-in-the-Rain site also said this about their inkjet paper : "Can be written on with all-weather pens only." Additional inconvenience.

NGAP isn't all that expensive. A little under a buck a sheet and I can get 4 double sided micro logs out of a single sheet (probably more if I was a bit more handy with MS Word). It's actually a lot cheaper than the spiral bound notebooks I use for most of my caches.

NGAP only works with ink jet though. You'd ruin a laser printer. You can write on NGAP with any kind of pen when its wet, but gel pens or ballpoint pens seem to work best. Felt tip pens will run if its wet.

If your cache is damp enough that a waterproof log is needed, it`s damp enough to ruin everything else in the cache. You might as well invest your money in a more waterproof container

If you could train all geocachers to close containers properly you wouldn't have to worry about waterproof paper. Unfortunately the best containers can be compromised by inept geocachers.

Edited by briansnat

I already have the NGAP laying here unopened and I have an ink jet printer(Epson Workforce 600), so that's why I'm curious about using it for logs

If its anything like rite in the Rain it will run with inkjet printing. You have to use laser to keep it from running, that's why roller pens and pencils are best for the rite in the rain. Not sure about NGAP since I seen above someone mention pencils are not good for it but I bet the inkjet part is the same.

Edit: Ok, I seen above (or in the link) how its not recommended for laser, that gets me wondering how inkjet can stay on it without running..hmmm. I guess if you already have it, it can't hurt to try it.

Edited by O-Mega

Thanks, briansnat for the clarification on writing instrument.

While searching for something else, I stumbled across this quote in geocacher-u:

However, Rite in the Rain is water resistant-not waterproof. If you want waterproof, check out National Geographic Adventure Paper. It's actually a plastic (teslin) rather than paper. Beyond being waterproof, it won't mold and won't tatter and tear like regular paper. Also, it's designed to work in your inkjet printer, so it allows you to customize your logsheets.

So, skellyca, I'd say by all means go ahead.