gpsr lost in flood...

I was one of the thousands to get flooded in the June 2008 floods through Iowa. One of the several items I lost was my gpsr, a Magellan SporTrak Map with the US mapping software. Well, my wife has also been sick and out of work for about 2 months now, so my budget is VERY limited. I'd like to get another mapping gpsr, but realize that I may be restricted with my budget. Ideas?

I was one of the thousands to get flooded in the June 2008 floods through Iowa. One of the several items I lost was my gpsr, a Magellan SporTrak Map with the US mapping software. Well, my wife has also been sick and out of work for about 2 months now, so my budget is VERY limited. I'd like to get another mapping gpsr, but realize that I may be restricted with my budget. Ideas?

Probably the cheapest handheld unit with full street-level maps out of the box would be the DeLorme Eartmate PN-20. The Garmin eTrex Legend HCx can also do full mapping, but you need to buy extra maps to have anything more than major highways. Or are you looking for an automotive-type GPSr with verbal turn-by-turn directions? If so, just keep an eye out for sales, I picked up a Garmin Streetpilot c210 and a Navigon 2100 for $75 each on deals I found.

As a legendary cheapskate, I'd skip right past the advice on factory new units. Hit eBay for a decent used one and can probably stay well under $100 for something above and beyond what you had before.

If you're still keen on Magellan (and already familiar with how that works) and want something quite similar to your old SporTrak, I'd look for an Explorist 210. If you find a bargain on the device but without the software, look for Mapsend Topo 3D also:

http://search.ebay.com/explorist+210

http://search.ebay.com/mapsend+topo+3d

Might take a while but bargain hunting can be almost as much fun as cache hunting. Good luck!

Edited by lee_rimar

have you thought of claiming through your home insurance, just a thought.