Reason to be banned

Brassine Family

I found an earth cache today and proceeded to email the owner and I found this message...

Cav Scout

Email Address: The "send message" feature is disabled because this user is currently banned.

Profile Information:

Note from Groundspeak: This member has been temporarily banned. His caches remain active and will be maintained after this time period passes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What would a person have to do to get get banned???

Its not like he is a newbie... he has found 3456 caches and hidden 216

I'm not familiar with that particular situation (and if I were I couldn't say due to confidentiality reasons), but violating the terms of use of this site is usually what gets people banned.

I'd say most bans happen here in the forums. A cacher will go bonkers over something, and say things they probably shouldn't have. I too have never heard of this particular situation. Could have been almost anything. Believe me, there are many banned members. Some for a temporary cooling off period, some permanently. I do know of a permanently banned member who "asked nice" over a year later, and was let back in. :rolleyes:

...What would a person have to do to get get banned???...

In my experinece rude, obnoxious, disruptive behavior above and beyond the call of duty will get you banned.

Cav Scout had met or exceeded one or more of those on several occasions with several people who I hold in high regard before he was ever banned for whatever he did. Two of the three individuals I mentioned have posed on the issues they had. The third is far too kind.

Cav Scout has all the qualities of a Bannable person. This is no suprise to me. Quite frankly I'm suprised it took this long and wasnt' permanent. Maybe he's not as bad as I've been thinking.

Adding to what TheWhiteUrkel said. A forum banning (temp or otherwise) is far more common. A banning in the geocaching.com site itself signifies a much higher offence and is much more rare. I've never seen it used lightly. I've had more than a few forum timeouts without once ever having anyone even mention a ban on the geocaching section.

...What would a person have to do to get get banned???...

In my experinece rude, obnoxious, disruptive behavior above and beyond the call of duty will get you banned.

Cav Scout had met or exceeded one or more of those on several occasions with several people who I hold in high regard before he was ever banned for whatever he did. Two of the three individuals I mentioned have posed on the issues they had. The third is far too kind.

Cav Scout has all the qualities of a Bannable person. This is no suprise to me. Quite frankly I'm suprised it took this long and wasnt' permanent. Maybe he's not as bad as I've been thinking.

Adding to what TheWhiteUrkel said. A forum banning (temp or otherwise) is far more common. A banning in the geocaching.com site itself signifies a much higher offence and is much more rare. I've never seen it used lightly. I've had more than a few forum timeouts without once ever having anyone even mention a ban on the geocaching section.

You don't even know him. I do and he is my brother so I may be able to shine some light on what may have lead to the ban. Any one who knows CavScout, good or bad, knows he enjoys placing and finding earthcaches. Strike one was the day he went to Berea Forrest to ask to place eartchcaches in the park. He explained it to them and about geocaching. They said that they didn't want any cache containers in the park but there was already several caches there. He explained that to them and they wanted them pulled out of the park. He emailed ground speak about the caches but they didn't want to do anything until the park themselves emailed to have them removed. So who didn't follow the guide lines there?

Strike two. People don't like the way he runs his earthcaches with the guidelines of answering the given questions and posting a picture with you and your gps in veiw of the earthcache area. I know that is really hard to do but people seem to have a real problem with it. But they give the cache owners the ability to police the cache the way they fill fit.

Strike 3. He started a Spirit Quest Series in his home state and since he was following the ISQ guidelines his local commuinty was in fits that he copied the same numbers of a quest that was already started there. I know, that's so crazy, a copy cat series will get you in trouble. Worst off, while he was banned and the spirit quest was shut down, they aloud someone else to put a cache in one of the cemeteries that he had a cache in without giving him a chance to change it when the banned was up.

Most people on the forums don't like him from word of mouth, most haven't even met him in person. I see mods on here that treat people even worse, but they have the power to get away with it just because they can. On other threads when they post peoples names it gets removed pretty fast but his is getting bashed here and you can't tell me that no mods have read this thread yet.

I short, he isn't the 3 eyed monster that most make him out to be. He has givien back to the geocaching community but most don't see it.

Strike 4. Logging his own earthcaches as finds.

Strike 5. Logging earthcaches he never physically visited.

Strike 6. Vindictively deleating cache finders logs after he retroactively changed logging requirements weeks after the actual cache placement or find.

I've seen what has been contributed to earthcaching.

I'm surprised it has taken this long to ban him. I filed 2 abuse complaints on him Aug. 2008 and Sept. 2008

Strike 4. Logging his own earthcaches as finds.

Strike 5. Logging earthcaches he never physically visited.

Strike 6. Vindictively deleating cache finders logs after he retroactively changed logging requirements weeks after the actual cache placement or find.

I've seen what has been contributed to earthcaching.

I'm surprised it has taken this long to ban him. I filed 2 abuse complaints on him Aug. 2008 and Sept. 2008

Strike 4. Is that even a rule to get a strike on?

Strike 5. Really, was it one of yours?

Strike 6. That happened to you too. What did you do to set him off?

...You don't even know him. I do and he is my brother so I may be able to shine some light on what may have lead to the ban....

First, thanks for shedding some light on what may have led to the ban. Second, you are right. I don't know him, I merely talk to and/or know the the people who have dealt with him. It left enough of a sour taste to where I will back this site on the banning sight unseen untill better information tells me otherwise. I am not known for my sycophantic views.

Oh, and I know of at least one mod who was pulled (retired/moved on/quit pick your anology) from the forums because forum diplomacy was not their forte.

Now you have me wondering how alike you guys are.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Strike 3. He started a Spirit Quest Series in his home state and since he was following the ISQ guidelines his local commuinty was in fits that he copied the same numbers of a quest that was already started there. I know, that's so crazy, a copy cat series will get you in trouble. Worst off, while he was banned and the spirit quest was shut down, they aloud someone else to put a cache in one of the cemeteries that he had a cache in without giving him a chance to change it when the banned was up.

Sincerely doubt that lead to being banned. GC.com doesn't give a flip how cache series are named or numbered, as long as they don't violate the guidelines or the TOU. You may have been told that, but it doesn't pass the smell test.

Sincerely doubt that lead to being banned. GC.com doesn't give a flip how cache series are named or numbered, as long as they don't violate the guidelines or the TOU. You may have been told that, but it doesn't pass the smell test.

Look at his caches owned and you figure why they archived them.

Ok I too know CavScout... I am the one who takes all of the pictures of the Earthcaches we visit... so Mr. Bloodhound, just which Earthcache are you talking about that Cav has posted without visiting?? Oh I do have the pictures of your EC's that you deleted because he wasnt "posing" correctly....(he was crouched down with GPS in view acting like he was drinking from the spring... heaven forbid) and you deleted it because he wasnt standing up.

So unless you guys know Cav by meeting him in person, I dont think you should pass judgement...besides wasnt you all taught that if you cant say anything nice then dont say anything at all? :rolleyes:

Comment #1 - Some folk tend to take this geocache/earthcache stuff a bit too seriously and become obsessed with hiding/finding.

Comment #2 - I see no logical reason for the "powers that be" to ban this individual unless they had legitimate reasons for doing so.

Edited by Indotguy

Ok, as you can see by my number of posts I am not one to worry about what others are thinking/saying and for 99% of the forums couldn't really care less. Cav is a good friend of mine and we share many similarities. We have hiked many miles together, found a lot of ECs and traditionals together, and discovered some great places to turn into ECs. Before I ever met him my wife and I found and logged several of his EarthCaches. It's simple, you read the write-up, you visit the site, take the photo as requested, and answer (usually 3) questions. I have never had a log deleted by him, you follow the rules and that's it.

So speaking of rules, I don't know anyone else that has ever gotten in trouble for doing just that. Cav asked permission to place a cache in the Berea Forest that would replace one which disappeared something like two years prior. Permission was granted but the local reviewer would not publish and would not give a reason, other than to say the spot was reserved (?). This was the start of it all, he simply asked permission which no one else did who had a cache in the B. Forest. This led to Berea asking that all the others be removed. I really don't even think he mentioned to them that other caches were there. That was the job of another cacher (and the reviewer) who was planning on hosting an event at that location (after the event caches had already been placed or at least the coordinates 'reserved') which was allowed to be held.

Even though I am a friend of Cav's I still post the required photo as requested in each of his ECs. If I ever get an answer wrong (and I have) he does not, as rumor has it, turn into some fiend ready to delete my find, nor do I know of anyone who this has happened to. Sure, if you don't submit the answers or you post a picture of Mickey Mouse at Disney Land and claim it's you at an EarthCache site, yeah I would expect it to be deleted, he would delete mine as well. But look back if this has happened, was the picture of you and your GPSr, or was it just your hand with a GPSr in front of the EarthCache?

Reading through the logs for this thread, it reminds me of the students I teach. Most problems and fights happen because "someone said..." or "I heard..." all it does is remind me of an old Andy Capp cartoon I once saw with a caption that read "I hit him back first before he could hit me." Yeah Cav is concerned with the rules, and he is right to be so, we all should.

Edited by Ammosuperman

The reason why anyone gets banned from the website (or suspended from posting in the forums) is an issue between that person and Groundspeak only. Groundspeak respect's a person's privacy. When a thread like this one is posted, many people will have opinions. Some will speculate. Some will have a version of the truth. Some might have almost all sides of the coin. Etc.

Since neither Groundspeak nor the banned person you are asking about will divulge private information, I'll close this thread and prevent any more speculation.