Best light weight jacket

What do you recommend as a very light weight, fully waterproof and breathable jacket or kagool to stick at the bottom of a rucksack whilst mountain walking? It's not meant for use when I know it's going to be wet.

I've been looking at the Berghaus Paclite, but I'm not sure what else there is out there.

What do you recommend as a very light weight, fully waterproof and breathable jacket or kagool to stick at the bottom of a rucksack whilst mountain walking? It's not meant for use when I know it's going to be wet.

I've been looking at the Berghaus Paclite, but I'm not sure what else there is out there.

That's "cagoule," not "kagool." Though I'm glad you mentioned those, as they're hard to find in the US. But given that you're in GB, they should be more available there. Very handy for sudden changes of weather. If you'd asked earlier -- like last year -- I would have recommended "Northwerks.com" for their outstanding cagoules.

Marmot Mountain makes a Driclime windshirt which is relatively inexpensive, lightweight and fairly water resistant. I've used it while cycling and hiking when the weather has turned bad unexpectedly or not the way that I'd predicted.

Marmot Precip jackets won't cost a bunch and will do a decent job. They won't protect you in an all weekend monsoon, but for a sudden T Storm or rain storm, they will keep you dry while you make it out of the woods.

It is also very light weight.

LL Bean's Stowaway rain jackets get very high marks, especially for the money. I don't own one, but know a few people who do and they really like them.

I picked up an REI Camper jacket this weekend. Lightweight, water and wind resistant, packs into a small stuff sack (included) and seems reasonably warm. Definitely not for serious cold weather, but a great size and weight for throwing in your pack when there is a chance you may get stuck outside overnight. It is my new emergency pack jacket for chilly weather. For rain I keep a Sierra Designs Jacket in one pack and one of their Anoraks in the other, bioth from their microlight series. No insulation, but they will keep you dry, don't take up much space and weigh very little, plus they are great for blocking the wind.