Non-owner maintenance

I have found a couple of caches where the logs are full, and have been for awhile, and one where the cache was in awful shape. On the last one I logged a "maintenance needed" message and the others I logged as "found it" and said in the comments that the log was full. Is it alright for me to bring along extra log sheets and add them to the cache? On one recent cache the container was only big enough for one log, in that case what is the protocol for the full log? Thanks for your help. I am still new but loving the geo-experience!

As a cache owner, I would be very appreciative if a finder did maintenance on one of my caches. It has happened several times in the past and it is just part of the friendship of the game.

As for the old log book, I would keep it and send an email to the CO. If they want it, they can arrange to pick it up or maybe have you leave it in another cache for CO to pick up.

Just my opinion.

On one recent cache the container was only big enough for one log, in that case what is the protocol for the full log? Thanks for your help. I am still new but loving the geo-experience!

I would contact the owner.

I would also dry it out and scan it or take pictures of it and post it on the cache page so people can view the first log book.

Edited by Knight2000

I always have extra log sheets in my wallet for those older caches with full logs. I also carry a couple of new (small) zipbags to replace torn ones. I use the smallest one possible for those micro caches so there is room for small swag. Very rarely do I run into the situation where there is no room for an additional log. In those cases, I e-mail the owner.

I can't imagine a CO who wouldn't appreciate some minor maintenance so he/she wouldn't have to make a special trip. As long as the cache container doesn't move/change shape I wouldn't even mind someone totally replacing it, as I have done with several caches that weren't mine.

As a cache owner I'd rather you left the maintenance to me. Minor things like if the container is cracked and you happen to have duct tape, I don't mind - but overall I'd rather you logged a needs maintenance and let me

take care of it.

Other cache owners feel differently (as you can see from Tequila's post).

I think a good rule of thumb is minor repair is usually OK. Replacing the Ziploc bag, adding a pencil, tapeing over a crack in the container. More involved maintenance like swapping in a new log book, replacing the container, or a major cache clean out should be left to the owner, unless you have his authorization to

fix it up.

Edited by briansnat

As a cache owner I'd rather you left the maintenance to me. Minor things like if the container is cracked and you happen to have duct tape, I don't mind - but overall I'd rather you logged a needs maintenance and let me

take care of it.

Other cache owners feel differently (as you can see from Tequila's post).

I think a good rule of thumb is minor repair is usually OK. Replacing the Ziploc bag, adding a pencil, tapeing over a crack in the container. More involved maintenance like swapping in a new log book, replacing the container, or a major cache clean out should be left to the owner, unless you have his authorization to

fix it up.

My thoughts exactly. I have no problem giving or receiving minor maintenance. I have come across full log sheets where I have replaced the entire log (with existing permission) and others where I have only posted a NM because I was not familiar with the CO. Many times I have added or replaced ziplocks and advised the CO in the log its self.

If something in a cache needs repair we usually try to fix it up. We've come across a cache where the log was literally dripping so we've dried the container, replaced the log (inside a ziplock baggie this time), and offered to mail the old log to the owner. We've come across caches that the containers were severely damaged so if we had a similar size container in the car we swapped it out. We always let the owner know if we've done a repair and so far every owner has been appreciative that we did it. Sometimes things happen and an owner can't get out to make the repair, it makes it better for them and for the next person to come along if we can do what's needed to fix it up.

I've replaced a log that was too waterlogged to sign or full. So far it has been in caches that were large enough to simply leave the old log behind. I figure if the CO doesn't like my replacement, they can put their own replacement in and trash mine.

If it was a nano/micro I'd take the old one and offer to mail it to the CO if s/he wants it. Hadn't thought that a CO would get too bent out of shape over that, but maybe I should reconsider doing this if the situation does come up. If a finder is trying to fix up your cache in good faith, seems like you should give him or her a pass. If you feel antsy about a stranger performing maintenance, just get out to it on your next maintenance run and check what's what.

I carry what supplies I can, for minor repairs, including three sizes of logbooks.

My own rule of thumb is, I'll replace a log so long as doing so doesn't sqeeze out the old log.

Regular containers are usually no problem, as a second logbook doesn't take much room.

Micros, especially nanos, can present a problem, 'cuz with those, you usually can't fit a second log inside.

With a nano, I just put my initials wherever they'll fit and let the owner know it's full.

Is it alright for me to bring along extra log sheets and add them to the cache? On one recent cache the container was only big enough for one log, in that case what is the protocol for the full log? Thanks for your help.

To quote a great Man: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Be considerate. I appreciate others who replace logs (or add a fresh log) in my caches when it is time. Just do what you would appreciate having done for you. If it turns out the CO is odd and doesn't like what you did, you can always apologize for your thoughtfulness.

I have found a couple of caches where the logs are full, and have been for awhile, and one where the cache was in awful shape. On the last one I logged a "maintenance needed" message and the others I logged as "found it" and said in the comments that the log was full. Is it alright for me to bring along extra log sheets and add them to the cache? On one recent cache the container was only big enough for one log, in that case what is the protocol for the full log? Thanks for your help. I am still new but loving the geo-experience!

I always do and never gave it a thought that a CO would not apperciate it. I always carry different size logs with me and several containers. Just Friday I would have replaced a cache if I had one about the same size it was a plastic nut jar that a critter decided he wanted to see what was inside and chewed the top off in fact half the top was gone but I did not have a container that would fit the swag in so I just told him in the log what had happened. a couple of months ago I came across a cache that had been wet so long it was moldy inside and I had a container about the same size and replaced it and there have been several logs about how they like the cache container. I always contact the CO and ask if he wants the orginal back and I have never had a request for it and all have been thankful that I replaced what was needed.

My rule of thumb is to do the minimum necessary to keep the cache up and operational, and never to alter the owner's original intent. Repairs like adding a couple of log sheets, replacing plastic bags, adding a pencil, or duct-taping a deteriorating container don't require a second thought. If the container is totally shot and I have a replacement, I'll swap it out but leave the original in place, inside, or nearby (in case there's some sentimental value I'm unaware of). Other than that, I get permission from the owner.

As an owner, I've been ticked off (mildly) by a few unnecessary repairs:

- One of my adopted caches is a little hard to find, and several searchers have decided that it was missing. They placed new caches as a favor to me. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, but whether or not they had ulterior motives doesn't make it any less of a pain in the rump to search out and remove the dupli-caches.

- I recently did maintenance on a frequently visited cache of mine and found that someone had dropped in a new logbook. I was surprised, because there was no prior note saying 'logbook almost full.' That's because it wasn't: the Samaritan didn't notice that the backs of all the pages were still blank.

- Some of my mountaintop caches are tin boxes, painted to be rustproof and set up as log-only caches. In Arizona, these guys last a long time if they are carefully sited in a well-drained crevice. One finder improved on my setup by putting my tin inside an off-brand plastic container. Once the plastic lid went, my box would end up sitting in a puddle of water rusting away. Made a special trip to reverse the "improvement."

Edited by Mule Ears

Tricky decision now. I have frequently added a new additional logbook but did not appreciate that COs' like Briansnat and diamonddaveg prefer I do not.

What to do what to do??

Maybe I wasn't clear. As a CO, I have no problem with someone replacing the log and asking me what they should do with the old one. Minor repairs to the container are also appreciated.

I do agree that as a 'finder' it is a tricky decision. I have replaced logs for a local CO that I have spoken with many times and have permission to do so. I believe that once I was heading passed a cache that was potentially MIA, determined it was and placed a new one for him. I would not do the same for other COs that I don't know. I would look at the situation and do the minimum necessary to keep the cache alive.

My rule of thumb is to do the minimum necessary to keep the cache up and operational, and never to alter the owner's original intent. Repairs like adding a couple of log sheets, replacing plastic bags, adding a pencil, or duct-taping a deteriorating container don't require a second thought. If the container is totally shot and I have a replacement, I'll swap it out but leave the original in place, inside, or nearby (in case there's some sentimental value I'm unaware of). Other than that, I get permission from the owner.

I agree with most of this. I would have to think long and hard about putting out a replacement cache though.

As an owner, I've been ticked off (mildly) by a few unnecessary repairs:

- One of my adopted caches is a little hard to find, and several searchers have decided that it was missing. They placed new caches as a favor to me. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, but whether or not they had ulterior motives doesn't make it any less of a pain in the rump to search out and remove the dupli-caches.

- I recently did maintenance on a frequently visited cache of mine and found that someone had dropped in a new logbook. I was surprised, because there was no prior note saying 'logbook almost full.' That's because it wasn't: the Samaritan didn't notice that the backs of all the pages were still blank.

- Some of my mountaintop caches are tin boxes, painted to be rustproof and set up as log-only caches. In Arizona, these guys last a long time if they are carefully sited in a well-drained crevice. One finder improved on my setup by putting my tin inside an off-brand plastic container. Once the plastic lid went, my box would end up sitting in a puddle of water rusting away. Made a special trip to reverse the "improvement."

I ran across this as a 'finder.' The original cache, lets call it Cache A, was listed as MIA. The finder put out a replacement, lets call it Cache B, so there was something there until the CO could put out a proper replacement. When the CO goes out with a new one, lets call it Cache C, they find that Cache B has apperently gone MIA also. The CO places Cache C in the original location of Cache A and files a 'Maintenance Completed' log. When we got there we found both Cache B and Cache C. We removed Cache B and advised the CO about it.

I've seen logbooks added (and replaced), containers replaced, and swag added to caches. I can see BrianSnat's view of the cache owner seeing caches being made worse by a finder's good intentions. I still would rather have good intentions that I get that say "Fix your cache you stupid jerk".

I will fix those caches someday!

Tricky decision now. I have frequently added a new additional logbook but did not appreciate that COs' like Briansnat and diamonddaveg prefer I do not.

What to do what to do??

I'm kind of particular about my logbooks. Other cache owners are not. If you can add a logbook to the cache, go ahead. 90 percent of the cache owners probably would be thankful.

If you need to remove the old to fit in the new I think it's probably best if you just logged a needs maintenance, especially if you may not be able to get the original logbook back to the owner.

I would also pay attention, or verify, when the owner last logged into geocaching.com. It is on their profile. It is a big clue to me as to the cache's future.

There is one in Muskegon, MI that I am trying to get a local cacher, any local cacher, to look into adopting. I live @ 30 miutes away, but do travel there often, as I grew up there. The owner has not logged in since 1/1/06. The cache is pretty dirty. I pulled 3 packs of hot sauce and many otehr wet surprises. It is a great spot...so adoption would be wonderful. I am not sure how adoption really works....

It is GCBBCA "OLD SAWMILL".

You must have the cache owners permission to adopt a cache. In you example it sounds like that is unlikely to happen. If the cache is in need of serious repair post an SBA. If/after it is archived place your own cache in the area. Should not fall into the vacation trap if you can show you are in the area often enough to maintain it. Some cachers regularly hide caches a half hour or more from home. For me that would not be out of my normal caching range.

see..I knew there was more to adopting that I did not know. Thaks GOF. It is in working order, however poor. I put an SOS out in some other areas on here...so I will see if they bring any takers. So once archived...the area is open again? Is that right? Is there a time frame to wait?