Can I do this?

If i put on my geocaching legal hat, the rules in question are:

Cache Saturation

The reviewers use a rule of thumb that caches placed within .10 miles (528 feet or 161 metres) of another cache may not be published on the site.

and

The cache saturation guideline applies to all physical stages of multi-caches and mystery/puzzle caches, as well as any other stages entered as "stages of a multi-cache." The guideline does not apply to event caches, EarthCaches, grandfathered virtual and webcam caches, stages of multi-caches or puzzle caches entered as "question to answer" or "reference point," or to any "bogus" posted coordinates for a puzzle cache. Within a single multi-cache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between waypoints.

Now, if you want to place a pair of physical caches, the answer is no. However, if you can convince the reviewer that the first stage for both caches is an "answer a question" type, then I believe you would be able to start both there.

You COULD start both caches 161m away from the same point and have a common second stage "answer question" waypoint. Perhaps start the cache at an arbitrary point and have it be "head 161m east from this point. Find this ____ and answer the following question"

Basically I want to set up 2 separate multi / puzzle caches that have the same starting point. I don't know if I can do this ie, is it allowed? I emailed my local reviewer but haven't had any reply :laughing: Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, I have several times seen puzzle caches and other types of caches -- all special types -- where two caches had starting waypoints that were located only a few feet from each other, and where that starting waypoint was merely a convenient reference point, such as the corner of a public-access parking lot in a park. Of course, in none of these cases were there any actual cache stages (other than virtual stages, which do not count) or cache containers within 528 feet of each other, and thus, any "conflict" would have been only apparent (rather than real) and only virtual.

Basically I want to set up 2 separate multi / puzzle caches that have the same starting point. I don't know if I can do this ie, is it allowed? I emailed my local reviewer but haven't had any reply :laughing: Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here is a good example of two puzzle caches, with the same listed coordinates.

Saguaro Sundial Sunrise and Saguaro Sundial Sunset

I had an idea for a "Good, Bad & Ugly" cache along similar lines. It would be user pick multi, with just one GC number.

At the posted coords, you'd be given three choices:

1 ) A set of coords which leads you directly to the final, a short hike away.

2 ) A set of coords that leads you on a lengthy hike, with many stages, finishing at the same final.

3 ) A set of coords that lead you on a harrowing journey through snake & gator infested swamps with gobs og bushwhacking, finishing at the same final.

Each set would be fully explained, so no one would be getting into something beyond their abilities.

I think it'd fly.

I had an idea for a "Good, Bad & Ugly" cache along similar lines. It would be user pick multi, with just one GC number.

At the posted coords, you'd be given three choices:

1 ) A set of coords which leads you directly to the final, a short hike away.

2 ) A set of coords that leads you on a lengthy hike, with many stages, finishing at the same final.

3 ) A set of coords that lead you on a harrowing journey through snake & gator infested swamps with gobs og bushwhacking, finishing at the same final.

Each set would be fully explained, so no one would be getting into something beyond their abilities.

I think it'd fly.

I can see you aren't narrow minded about the definition of a multi. However, wouldn't it be cool if you had an ALR that the finder email to tell which of the three sets of coordinates he picked? :rolleyes:

Basically I want to set up 2 separate multi / puzzle caches that have the same starting point. I don't know if I can do this ie, is it allowed? I emailed my local reviewer but haven't had any reply :rolleyes: Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The best place to start is to ask your local reviewer. It's sometimes a wait as they have lives and aren't stting there waiting for us to heap on the questions and cache submissions.

Edited by GOF & Bacall
wouldn't it be cool if you had an ALR that the finder email to tell which of the three sets of coordinates he picked?

I don't have enough Alpha Male in my personality to tolerate trying to control how folks log this imaginary cache. :lol:

If I ever do find the right spot, I may include it as a suggestion, just so the pro-ALR whiners won't think my creativity has been stifled. :rolleyes:

Wow, are you gonna drag this argument into every thread Riffster posts in?

Hey, I can answer that one! :mad:

Edited by Clan Riffster