SOFTWARE

nefesh

Garmin Basecamp for Mac.

Mac GPSPro

Garmin Basecamp doesn't even come close to GSAK. If you have an Intel Mac you can run GSAK under BootCamp, VMware or Parallels. I use it all the time on all 4 of my Macs and couldn't live without it. Maybe live, but not happily.

Any app like GSAK for the Mac? I not only want to manage tracks, routes, etc., but generate stats, tables, and all. Also anyone used MacCache?

MacCaching, Garmin's RoadTrip and a few other apps can manage data to some extent but not with the comprehensive filtering and reporting features of GSAK. Maybe some day a geocaching programmer will do something similar with the elegant Mac OS.

Check out MacGPS Pro. I've been using it for years. Not specifically designed for geo caching, but very accurate registration on raster maps, excellent real-time functions, and many great features. Works with old and new macs and a wide ranges of gps types. It's actively maintained and constantly being improved. Developer is very responsive.

i just got my garmin gpsmap csx 60 and i'll admit i have a lot of confusion about quite a few things on the software side:

Garmin Software

MapInstall - i assume this is just handling getting maps off of my garmin map dvds and onto my mac? it seems like it. do i need to keep it installed after installing the maps or will i need to use this thing again?

MapManager - this appears to be software to select states or regions and transfer them to the mac. does it do anything else helpful?

Basecamp - similar to the windows waypoint manager software on the pc map install disk? Here's what the Garmin site has to say about it:

# BaseCamp is a 3D mapping application that allows you to transfer waypoints, tracks, and routes between your Mac and Garmin device and manage your data using topographic Garmin maps

#

Features include:

Track Draw

Printing

View in Google Earth

Advanced geocache support

Photo waypoints

Track and route play back

Create waypoints at a position

i just found this one so it looks like it will do some nice stuff. i'll install it tonight.

So between these three apps, it appears i can pretty effectively manage all of my map dvds, move maps, waypoints and tracks back and forth between the gps device and the laptop. why they can't put it all in one useful app is a little baffling but anyway...

So next we have the geocaching solutions. Here's what I have arrived at so far:

MacCaching - this seems like a fairly able-bodied tool. i have used it so far to transport gpx file data from my generated pocketqueries over to my gps. i am not sure how it will fare long term but for now it seems to do the job.

iPhone Geocaching tool -- not really mac software but i've been using it alongside my gps and it works really well.

am i missing good pieces of mac software to assist with geocaching specifically or the gps in general? are there any suggested workflows to get GCs from the website to my gps with accuracy, speed and as little drama as possible?

I also have a question regarding the garmin maps. after installing and unlocking from the dvd, i was told there was an upgrade to the map dvd i had installed. i downloaded all 2.7 gb of it and mounted the dmg file. i ran the installer and it gave me a pretty limited choice of installation (west coast, east coast, all US, etc) and i kept getting the error that i didn't have enough room on my device (2gb card installed). i couldn't find any way to update the maps on your disk so you can move them via MapManager so ... am i SOL? am i doing something wrong? help would be appreciated.

i hate feeling like this much of a newbie. new to caching, new to gps, new to garmin products....

thanks in advance.

J (he1ixx)