Suggestions?

wvjeepr

I am new to geocaching and am enjoying the hunt. I would like to know any suggestions for more successful finds. I can locate the areas but am having trouble locating the actual caches. I have found 3 but Did not find 6. Should I stick to ones that have better descriptions of the cache container. Looking for larger ones instead of micros?

WV Jeepr

Experience is the best teacher.

You are right about starting with regular sized caches. But you will be seeking micros. (there are lots of them) So be patient. Micros are usually hidden in areas with many non-cachers around. If you can go with another person, you attract much less attention.

Try going to an event in your area. If there is a 'coffee night' or a 'meet and eat' breakfast, you can meet the locals, learn something, and have fun.

I am new to geocaching and am enjoying the hunt. I would like to know any suggestions for more successful finds. I can locate the areas but am having trouble locating the actual caches. I have found 3 but Did not find 6. Should I stick to ones that have better descriptions of the cache container. Looking for larger ones instead of micros?

WV Jeepr

Go to YouTube and search for Geocaching, I would recommend the GeoSnippets by Head Hard Hat.

WV Jeepr

Bigger can be easier. I really think that it is a matter of whether you can deal well with NOT finding some.

I only started last summer, and have been limited by time, transportation and WINTER. This season is just starting up... I chose to go after a micro that has evaded most people and was last found last July.

Got it in 45 minutes or so. It is very difficult to see where it is... but not impossible. Personally I like that better than a first to find, of which I have NONE. My point is that I don't always care if I don't find something first try. Some people take it badly, some don't. For those that care, go for the easier ones.

I have yet to fail to eventually find anything I looked for (assuming it is there of course). Even then, I can opine about whether it is or isn't for the Cache Owner. Mostly I just like a good hunt. Better if there is something else to do as well, a view or something to see / experience. That is what the game is to ME.

Throw in a satisfying puzzle or something like that and so much the better. I have learned much from occasionally failing to find first try, regardless of the target. Also have added to my picture collection and lost a few un-needed pounds as well. Not to mention accumulating a few new e-friends also.

Good luck to you, you can always come back here for more coaching if you need it. I used to spend a lot of time in WVa up by Seneca Rocks and area. Right now I settle for slightly bigger mountains out in BC.

Doug

Edited by 7rxc

Thanks for the advice. I love the Seneca Rocks area. I am getting off my lazy butt and getting some much needed excercise. I don't really get disappointed about not finding the cache maybe a little obsessed. LOL I did find one mag micro today it took me 2 trips and the hint but I got it. I find the need to research the containers as I don't know what I'm looking for yet. Some cache owners don't put down what kind of container that makes it pretty tough for us noob's Again thanks for the advice .

WV jeepr

Experience! Experience! Experience!

I think my Daughter's friend said it best when she said she was starting to develope her "Spidy Sense". I'm not exactly a newb any more, but I don't quite have the fine senses of the old timers either. I still have to look around most of the time to make the find. Some of the older players can just walk right up to most of the typical spots on a GZ. They have seen all the tricks after making a few thousand finds.

The rest of us have to rely on our physical senses until our "Spidy Sense" developes. I know I'm starting to get it by some of the finds I'm starting to make.

Had an evil little micro the other day that was hiden in a hole, located in the crotch of two tree branches, in the middle of a forest, with a bad GPSr bounce. It was not visible AT ALL! I felt the little bugger with my finger. Took a bit of wiggling to get it out too. I just can't imagine how the owner even found this hole in the tree to begin with? Go figure?

If you seek them, they will come!

Seeker_Knight

Whatever you do, don't get too frustrated! :laughing:

I'm new, too. The best advice I have seen so far was "Don't look for the cache, look for the spot." Many times, you will have little to no idea what you are actually seeking. Don't rule anything out, and keep your mind open. I've already seen (in just over a month's time since I started caching) some unique containers/spots.

Have fun and good luck!