profiteering through generosity

cache_in_hand

Okay,

Time for me to put in my two cents.

A) I have no soapbox.

B ) The topic of this thread is "Profiteering through Generosity", not "Air your Vendetta here".

C) The OP asked for OPINIONS - Stay on topic and leave it at that. All others shall be reported. You got laundry? Clean it elsewhere.

D) "CinemaBoxers" and "GeocoinDesign" became SEPARATE ENTITIES on 09/20/08. Any purchases being made on "GeocoinDesign.com" after that date can be directed to me. As for any presales of items prior to that date, I have satisfied all obligations.

E) As for the topic at hand, Mystery or Not - I give coins away - it's what I do. I also sell coins. A gift is a gift, but in my opinion, if I give someone a coin, I hope they keep it.

Happy Easter! :laughing:

~J

Quick edit to fix my spelling errors and B ) vice B)

Edited by GeocoinGuy

E) As for the topic at hand, Mystery or Not - I give coins away - it's what I do. I also sell coins. A gift is a gift, but in my opinion, if I give someone a coin, I hope they keep it.

If you're looking to give some coins away, I'd be more than willing to accept them.. And I promise I wouldn't sell, trade or give them away. They would stay safe and sound in my collection....

I've often thought of this particular question, and whenever I do, I remember what my dad told me when I was a little girl. A true GIFT does not come with strings attached. If you choose to give, and are being sincerely generous, then you need to let go of what happens after your lovely act. My father told me this so I could understand what it really meant to give.

What people choose to do with that gift is a reflection on their own character. Do they cherish it? Do they return it? Do they pass on your generosity and give to someone else? In the case of coins, do they sell it for profit? I can completley understand how putting it up on e-bay would feel like a 'slap in the face', but I would have to remind myself what my father told me - and swallow my resentment, which only makes ugly the whole act of giving in the first place. Let it go into the world and be happy from there.

That being said, on a personal level, any coin I have been gifted is very special to me. I would not sell them. I would think that it would be rude in some way, and not honoring the person's generousity. That doesn't allow me to judge other's actions, though. A true gift should be without strings attached.

Yup, I agree fully.

Also, a big part of pride in my collection to me is HOW I received the coins, the stories that I remember when I flip through my coins about the sales (yes you Steph!), the friends I've made through trades, and the generosity of those sent to me as gifts.

The only way I would part with one of my mystery coins is if I sent it to someone else as a gift.

Ok first of all forgive me for being a little naïve, but people give geocoins away other than contests?

I just started geocaching with my wife and kids on April 4th, so we're a little new to all of this. I just started looking in geocoins yesterday after we found our first one. Today we found 2, and one looked extremely expensive.

Isn't the point of geocoins to put them into a cache and watch it travel?

I have to say, I'm not sure what a mystery gifted coin is to be honest (though I suppose I guess it's one that you receive in the post without any information about who sent it) - I've never received one myself (apart from my incoming replacement 2008 Santa's Mission which was sent when it became obvious that my destined package had been lost in the post by someone who I eventually worked out who the sender was... a slightly different idea I guess but maybe not so different...).

I've gifted many coins myself (many gold Eclectic Penguins, several of the normal varieties, and a couple of others including a couple of my Puffin coins and a South Wales Geocoin or two to date, but that's early days yet for that one because it's a community coin rather than a personal) but I've always been of the opinion that once gifted they're the other person's property to do with as they wish.

In all my cases though I'm pretty sure the giftee knows where the coin came from and was also aware that the coin was theirs to do with as they desired, so it's not a mystery coin as such.

All coins given to me as gifts to date have been added to my small, but growing collection and not sold/swapped as they were all, without exception marvelous coins that, although not being a big collector, I'd want want to keep!

Edited by Eclectic Penguin

If you're looking to give some coins away, I'd be more than willing to accept them.. And I promise I wouldn't sell, trade or give them away. They would stay safe and sound in my collection....

Put me on the list too! :laughing:

ya can put us on that list also...........thanks...

Sell coins - I can't even get myself geared up to release one :laughing: .

I'm a very small collector compared to some of you all out there . My collection at the moment is less than 50 coins and all have been bought . I have seen 1 mystery coin at an event that I attended.

If someone sent me a mystery coin I'd never sell ,trade or give it away.

Saying that I realise that not everyone thinks the same - thats their right as well .

I guess as a mystery coin giver you hope that the receiver will like what you have given them enough to keep and cherish your coin - I suppose sometimes that dosen't happen.

DISCLIAMER -These are my opinions and are not directed at anyone in particular.

Emotional topic indeed.

I'd think that most folks wouldn't sell gifted coins. However, a gift is a gift, and shouldn't have strings attached. Maybe keep a list of folks who sell gifted coins and don't give them anymore.

I have a couple and I'll never sell. If I get out of the game, I'll just drop them in a cache or pass them on to anther cacher.

Let's try to be happy and get along....it is Easter after all!

As a former Mystery Coin giver, I can say that the intention for mine was for them not to be sold and it was a huge slap in the face when many were sold on eBay. I would have appreciated it if they were traded to others who wanted them for commercial coins that could easily be sold on eBay. That didn't happen as often as I would have liked. Lesson learned.

At that point I said screw it, canned the project and minted a version of my own to sell for my personal profit. I feel MUCH better now and don't care what anyone does with them. The spirit of the project was ruined the first time a cacher sold one on auction for personal gain.

I too have a mystery coin that was killed shortly after it started. I seen one or two sold on ebay but what can you do? It was a lesson learned. Now I have a box full of them that makes a great paper weight. It is amazing how something that was meant to be fun was shot down so fast. Just thank the professor for that. :laughing:

As a former Mystery Coin giver, I can say that the intention for mine was for them not to be sold and it was a huge slap in the face when many were sold on eBay. I would have appreciated it if they were traded to others who wanted them for commercial coins that could easily be sold on eBay. That didn't happen as often as I would have liked. Lesson learned.

At that point I said screw it, canned the project and minted a version of my own to sell for my personal profit. I feel MUCH better now and don't care what anyone does with them. The spirit of the project was ruined the first time a cacher sold one on auction for personal gain.

I too have a mystery coin that was killed shortly after it started. I seen one or two sold on ebay but what can you do? It was a lesson learned. Now I have a box full of them that makes a great paper weight. It is amazing how something that was meant to be fun was shot down so fast. Just thank the professor for that. :laughing:

Just last night someone asked for my address to send me some coins. It made my day, week, month. I realize some people will sell them, but I think most will not. I would love to receive a mystery coin and I know many new collectors would as well...

I too have a mystery coin that was killed shortly after it started. I seen one or two sold on ebay but what can you do? It was a lesson learned. Now I have a box full of them that makes a great paper weight. It is amazing how something that was meant to be fun was shot down so fast. Just thank the professor for that. B)

I just recieved a email on this statement of mine so I need to clear it up.

"And exactly why am I responsible for your mystery coin being shot down ??????? I don't even know what coin you are talking about, I'm not even allowed to post at Groundspeak - so accusing me of something to which I cannot respond is rather under hand. Please explain yourself. - Professor Grumbledor"

This was not meant towards him. He did nothing that I know of. The professor that I talked about is like saying a know it all. Someone with way too much power. :D You now the type, they kick dogs and take kids candy. :laughing:

This thread can't go any farther downhill. It has hit bottom. It is now closed.

Sheesh, try to enjoy a holiday, and all heck breaks loose. :laughing:

To CinemaBoxers and Cache In Hand, take it offline, keep it offline. Your personal petty differences do not need to be aired here. The OP was not mentioning any names in his post, he asked an opinion.