Emoticons in GC.com

Ozibags

I have a list of emoticons and what I have to type to get them from msn.com. Some of these work in GC.com cache notes and logs, some don't. Where do I find the emoticons (and what to type for them to appear) that will work on GC.com? Thanks in advance.

I have a list of emoticons and what I have to type to get them from msn.com. Some of these work in GC.com cache notes and logs, some don't. Where do I find the emoticons (and what to type for them to appear) that will work on GC.com? Thanks in advance.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/smilies.aspx

Click on the smiley on the log page.

Thanks beejay & esskay

Edited by Ozibags

Interesting site but I didn't find instructions on how exactly to add a smiley to my geocaching logs. Can you please spell it out in simple terms assuming that I know nothing whatsoever about the topic. Thanks

http://www.geocaching.com/about/smilies.aspx

Click on the smiley on the log page.

If you are able to add them by simply clicking on them, I'd sure like to know how!

Ed56: As far as I know you will have to copy/paste the portion of text to the right of the smiley that you want (it will be within square brackets. You need those brackets, too)

Typing this: [;)] will give you a winkie like this:

:D

Edited by knowschad

If you are able to add them by simply clicking on them, I'd sure like to know how!

This is how.

Yup... I'm a huge fan of Firefox and the geocaching GM scripts, but I meant natively. It has boggled me for years that the cache log interface only offers smileys that need to be copied and pasted. How archaic!

Oh, goodness, I didn't notice his response at the same time as mine. :):D

Edited by Ambrosia

I've been thinking that it's time geocaching.com added a few new smilies to the selection offered, especially if they could be animated ones...

I've never yet had any occasion to put the icon_smile_8ball.gif or the icon_smile_sleepy.gif into one of our logs but I'm sure I could use a I-dunno.gif regularly and maybe there should be a special one just for FTF logs? excitedsmiley.gif

MrsB

I've been thinking that it's time geocaching.com added a few new smilies to the selection offered, especially if they could be animated ones...

I've never yet had any occasion to put the icon_smile_8ball.gif or the icon_smile_sleepy.gif into one of our logs but I'm sure I could use a I-dunno.gif regularly and maybe there should be a special one just for FTF logs? excitedsmiley.gif

MrsB

I could use this one 102.gifpretty often. And the moderators could sure make use of this one 104.gif, even if the rest of us didn't have access to it.

Or you could simply express yourself verbally, using colorful and descriptive verbs, nouns, and adjectives. Ernest Hemingway and Mark Twain managed to make do without cute little pictures to let people know what kind of emotion they were attempting to convey.

I'm no Mark Twain, but I manage.

Or you could simply express yourself verbally, using colorful and descriptive verbs, nouns, and adjectives. Ernest Hemingway and Mark Twain managed to make do without cute little pictures to let people know what kind of emotion they were attempting to convey.

I'm no Mark Twain, but I manage.

sorry... but this is a game about smilies... not a game to see who can be the next jd salinger.

:P:D:blink:;):D:anicute:

sorry... but this is a game about smilies... not a game to see who can be the next jd salinger.

:P:D:blink:;):D:anicute:

I respectfully disagree. I believe the roots of geocaching were grounded in the desire for people to visit interesting places and collectively share experiences. To this end, a "placer" or "hider" of a quality cache is just as interested to know what people think about the location and/or physical cache he or she placed, not just whether the "finder" found and logged his or her cache on a specific date and time. Unfortunately, there are many cachers who ignore this element of the game and choose to only focus on the logging of a cache as a way to gain a "smiley" on their profile. Those who make an effort to place caches in "interesting" places would like to hear more about people's experiences (good or bad) and see more than just a "TFTC" and three or four animated emoticon in a log entry.

It is my belief that Groundspeak has made a conscious effort NOT to encourage an easy integration of emoticons into their logs because this functionality could lead to overuse and/or even "thinner" entries than what are seen now. Personally, I think the current system is just fine the way it is and that people will likely abuse or overuse emoticons in their logs if they are readily available.

Edited by Zosimos
It is my belief that Groundspeak has made a conscious effort NOT to encourage an easy integration of emoticons into their logs because this functionality could lead to overuse and/or even "thinner" entries than what are seen now. Personally, I think the current system is just fine the way it is and that people will likely abuse or overuse emoticons in their logs if they are readily available.

Sharing is important, but you're overthinking this. Groundspeak's developers probably just have too many things to work on to get to clickable emoticons for logs.

Sharing is important, but you're overthinking this. Groundspeak's developers probably just have too many things to work on to get to clickable emoticons for logs.

Maybe. But as a developer myself, I know a fix for this would take less than ten minutes to implement. So I think it's probably more than that. My vote would be to keep it the way it is.