How far are your nearest 500 caches?

Postie

How do I find out?

Go to the search page, and search on your postcode, this will produce a list of 500 caches, so go to the last page in the search and look at the distance for the last cache on that page (number 500).

Hmm! I tried that but ended up with over 27000 caches, and what's more - they were all in Germany. Don't think I'll bother again.

How do I find out?

Go to the search page, and search on your postcode, this will produce a list of 500 caches, so go to the last page in the search and look at the distance for the last cache on that page (number 500).

Hmm! I tried that but ended up with over 27000 caches, and what's more - they were all in Germany. Don't think I'll bother again.

Mmmm colour me confused. Entering my postcode returns 3446 caches listed on 173 pages. If I select nearest caches from my home co-ordinates I get 863 records on 44 pages, if I filter out finds I get 781 caches listed on 40 pages. There are 20 caches listed per page, so I calculate (math not being my strong point) that the last cache listed on page 25 is the 500 cache - which happens to be 40.6 miles away, although in this terrain (central Highlands) that could mean a return journey of 200 miles or more.

How do I find out?

I could only limit my search to 500 after signing up for Premium Membership.

11.5 miles for the nearest 500 in north Herts, I'm pleasantly surprised that I can do so many on my bike.

There's a bug whereby some postcodes on some of the search pages don't work properly, try putting UK after your postcode, e.g. SW1A 1AA UK

I think the 500 limit is a PQ feature, sorry.

How do I find out?

Hmm, I get Total Records: 2124 - Page: 107 of 107 all within 49.9miles! :) I can see I'm going to be busy!

Edited by Djinnspalce

Nearest 500 in total (found and unfound) .. is 6.5 miles

Nearst 500 unfound ,, is 8.6 miles

From home cords near Bradford, West Yorkshire

Nearest from home .. 374 feet (owned by me)

nearst (unowned) .. 520 feet

Nearest unfound 1.5 miles

Edited by lwb3
Call me stupid but how do I find out this. Cheers Kev.

As you are not a Premium Member you will not be able to run a Pocket Query. So go to your profile, over the right select from your home coordinates (under search options) then jump to page 25 the last one on the page is number 500 (20 per page) and then report back.

My 500 nearest is 13.3miles, which is Leek in North Staffordshire. Unfound it goes out to 21.9miles!

Call me stupid but how do I find out this. Cheers Kev.

Run a PQ for unfound (by you) caches based on your home co-ords, and see how far away the furthest cache is???

Or on your homepage click on

"Search for nearest caches

from your home coordinates" for total caches, or

"(filter out finds)" for nearest unfound

and go to the last cache on page 25. If you've entered your home coords from your GPS it's more accurate than your postcode, and you don't have to be a PM, or use up a valuble PQ.

For me in Hemel Hempstead it's 9.7 miles for all caches, 19.8 for unfound caches.

13.6 miles from Wirral...

I also have the problem with living on a peninsula... I'm surrounded by water on three sides that reduces the amount of space available for caches.... given that a LOT of those 500 are in Wales and Liverpoo, I can assume that the distance would be MUCH less if there wasn't so much water surrounding us!!

12.4 miles for me now...

But lots of that is water... I'm still surrounded on three sides by water, that hasn't changed!

9.4 miles for me for the nearest 500 caches (including owned, found etc) but if I look at how many unfounds I have within 9.4 miles, I see the answer is 19. Job (almost) done!

See, I try to get as many outwith my local area as possible in perhaps some daft psychological concern that as fuel prices rise or mobility might fall, I can revert to my local ones when I have less time/opportunity.

Not sure whether anyone else relates to that, but that's how I see it (and of course the change of scenery is great too...not to dismiss the fine scenery around me!), so for all those Edinburghers-and-close-bys whose caches I've apparently ignored, that's why and I haven't really!

:)