How far are your nearest 500 caches?

Postie

After a trip down South to do some caching a few days ago, I was surprised by the number of caches near my friends home. I did a few PQs and came up with these figures. I have 404 caches within a 20 mile radius of my home. My friend has 500+ caches within an 8 mile radius. So is the North loosing out to the South again?? How far do you have to go to get 500 caches?

How far do you have to go to get 500 caches?

37.5km (23 miles) for the nearest 500 active caches, but north of me is mostly sea. Also some of those caches are in Essex - it may be just 20 miles across the water, but it's a 140+mile round trip via the Dartford Tunnel to log any of them!

13.6 miles from Wirral...

I also have the problem with living on a peninsula... I'm surrounded by water on three sides that reduces the amount of space available for caches.... given that a LOT of those 500 are in Wales and Liverpoo, I can assume that the distance would be MUCH less if there wasn't so much water surrounding us!!

My nearest 500 are all within 7.8 miles, centred around Raynes Park (near Wimbledon), London. So...that just about gets to the edge of central London. It's pretty dense around here - although I've been caching all over the place, the vast majority of my 210 or so finds are within about 4 or 5 miles of home.

I run about four PQs for different cache types centred around home, which gives me everything within about 20 or so miles, so covering almost all of London and a sizable chunk of the area to the south and west.

My nearest unfound cache is now 2.1 miles away, but it's a puzzle I've got no idea how to tackle, so I suspect it'll go unsolved for a while.

Lee

12.1 miles for us in Oxford but would have been a bit less had we not archived most of ours recently. Also did a quick check on how many left to find, just 31 :) .

From our new address in Bristol (if we ever get there :) ) it will be 12 miles which is a lot better than I thought it was :huh: , and 455 left to find, can see that we shall be very busy.

Edited by Mad H@ter

15.6miles for me (near Cheddar, Somerset) .... although some of those are across the Bristol channel (in Cardiff) so would actually take me over an hour to drive there (and pay the toll fee!).

Interestingly, the 500th cache from home is still waiting for a FTF (a month on) ... but I think it may be a while yet as it is Captain Gore-tex's latest curio (Bristol Curios #25) which is a 5/5 :)

After a trip down South to do some caching a few days ago, I was surprised by the number of caches near my friends home. I did a few PQs and came up with these figures. I have 404 caches within a 20 mile radius of my home. My friend has 500+ caches within an 8 mile radius. So is the North loosing out to the South again?? How far do you have to go to get 500 caches?

From my postcode near Woking in Surrey I have 500 caches within 7.7miles. From my parnets postcode in West Yorkshire I have 500 caches within 11.1miles.

I have noticed there are far more active geocachers around Surrey then Yorkshire, so you need to encourage more friends and family up north to take up the hobby and hence you will soon have many more caches to find. :laughing:

12.1 miles for us in Oxford but would have been a bit less had we not archived most of ours recently. Also did a quick check on how many left to find, just 31 B) .

From our new address in Bristol (if we ever get there :laughing: ) it will be 12 miles which is a lot better than I thought it was :D , and 455 left to find, can see that we shall be very busy.

Welcome to the bristol area Mad H@ter, hope to bump into you sometime. :D

13.2 miles for me, but a lot of that is the Bristol channel.

21 miles on the England / South Wales border. Take Bristol out of the equation (we never cache there) and it's much further.

We had a cache published 10 miles from home last week. I can't remember the last time that happened.

Quality is far more important than quantity anyway.

From my current location in North Liverpool I have 500+ within 15.2 miles - The Irish Sea is a bit of a cache desert though :laughing:

From my (other) home in Brough, Cumbria, there are 500+ within 20.2 miles, there have been a lot of new caches hidden in the Yorkshire Dales recently which helps.

My nearest 500 are within 21.4 miles

500 caches found, unfound and owned within 14.7km (for the 'oldies' out there 9.1 miles :D ) and the 180 degrees south of me is the English Channel! :D I used to have one scheduled PQ which covered my 'not found' caches within 50km of home. Now I need three just to to cover 45km from home. Two years ago we were looking at travelling for thirty minutes to find a cache, now we are able to routinely ignore those which don't appeal. Swings and roundabouts...

Quick edit: we are off to Prague in June (not geocaching related but we will no doubt succumb) and there are 500 caches within 5.6km (3.5 miles!!!!! of our hotel)

Edited by Orchards Finest