GC emails not sent - anyone experience this

the pooks

When selecting "Send Message" after composing a message in the GC email system, you get a page containing the phrase "Your email has been sent" and will receive a confirmation email shortly therafter in your Inbox. However, I often find that I don't get the confirmations (and of course the email has not been sent). I then have to retype the message. I have got into the habit of copying the email on the clipboard before sending , or alternatively composing the message in Notepad or Outlook and then copy/pasting it into the GC email box - this works well.

It is as if the system forgets about your page if you take too long composing the message or something. I suspect others might have had similar experience as I have had a few instances where people have said they emailed me via the system, and I never received the email. I took a while to realise that a lack of confirmations confirm that your email was NOT sent.

This is not a problem with forum posts or logging, only emailing via a users profile.

I have posted this enquiry on the Geocaching Wesite forum, but have received only one response, so maybe it is just me.

Has anyone else on this forum experienced this phenomenon?

I use that feature a lot - several a day, and have never had a problem.

I would have noticed, because I immediately retrieve and file the copy email which comes back from GC.

Also never had it time out on me, and I'm sure I've been distracted for extended periods while composing emails.

Perhaps a problem with your browser...?

I'm using Firefox - it's bulletproof, and IMO vastly superior to IE.

I have been having this problem as well. I send the message and instead of getting the confirmation that the email was sent, I get back to a blank email form.

I too posted on the forums and got some replies - none of which was particulary relevant but then it just started working again.

I tried 2 different computers, 2 different Operating Systems, 3 different browsers, virtual machines the works and they all fail so I doubt whether it is browser related.

Might be to do with Telkom and its transparent proxies?

trev

Have had the same thing as Trevorh7000 has been experiencing also on Firefox - very frustrating when a long mail has been sent - so I do as has been mentioned before - copy it all and when I am confronted with the blank box just paste it in again and send - it generally goes the second time!!

I have only had a hassle once before - contacting cache-fan with a confirmation of Earthcache log. After him sending me about 3 or 4 sets of answers - none of my replies went thru - even after a second time trying.

I eventually used his gm,ail address - but subsequently there have been no problems - even to the same cacher.

The plot thickens. I tried sending an email a while ago and it worked no problem. I have Windows XP SP2, Firefox 3.0.8 and use a Webafrica SAIX account.

Then I immediately tried to mail The Pooks and it failed three times with refreshes and all.

I have now tried again (more than an hour later) and it went through. And I just tried another to someonelse and it worked

Something is not right - I will try from my PC at home after work.

Trev

Van der Murphy is alive and well.......

After psoting my message yesterday - I had a European cacher post alog on my Earthcaches in CT to say that he had not heard from me - and will log anyway - I sent another mail to him saying that I HAD replied - and he answered me in 10 minutes to confirm that he had not recieved the originals - so that was using IE ona Win XP OS outside of South Africa.

After sending some from work I tried my other home PC and the message sending failed. I then tried Tricky Vickey and Mickeys method of hitting the send button twice and what do you know a message to tomtwogates went through. I then immediatley sent through another one using a single click of send which worked.

I suspect it might have to do with caching (no not geocaching) of the web pages either on your own pc or as mentioned before an upstream proxy (but I am not that knowledgeable) Next time I have the send problem I will try clearing my local firefox cache first and then retry.

BTW I am using Ubuntu 8.10 and firefox 3.0.5 on this old IBM thinkpad of mine.

So if you have been having problems it might be worthwhile to copy and paste your text onto the clipboard or notepad (or your fave text editor) before hitting send - particularly if it is a longer more detailed message!

Then try the double click of the send button.

Of course my second and third messages to tom going through might have had nothing to do with my preceding actions!

I have experienced this from time to time and now I also revert to the copy and keep method. So if I don't receive my copy from CG when sending messages I still have it on notepad to go back and resend which inevitably works.

But, here is something new - I have not been receiving notifications on my own caches. I have been getting all those on my watch lists and also receiving notes from other cachers via the GC site. Yet when I was reviewing some of my listings, I noticed that I have not been getting some of the log posts. This past weekend I did not get notification on either of the two finds on my caches. Strange! Lost in cyberspace.

BruceTP

But, here is something new - I have not been receiving notifications on my own caches.

I've been experiencing the same thing, but not only with my caches, my travel bugs & coins also. I've also noticed that the find count on some of my cache pages are incorrect.

WE are also getting this problem - it never used to happen - but after the GC upgrade it happens every TIME now and can be very fustrating! Now it used to happen on Yahoo Mail as well but now it does not happen there any more... we thought it has something to do with our virus protection..... but it could be something to do with the 'cache' of the page.Also a recent error we also now get is if you click 'back' on I.E. the page could be expired..... that never happend before.... all very odd... Are we alone with that error...

This doesn't really have anything to do with GC emails not sent, but we didn't want to start a new thread about it.

We just wanted to find out if any other geocacher out there is experiencing problems with Google Earth and the geocaching link that shows the caches in GE? We used to be able to see the caches when in Google Earth but for the last two weeks the caches disappeared and we don't know why? We've tried to search for this problem but without any luck/results. Please let us know?

This doesn't really have anything to do with GC emails not sent, but we didn't want to start a new thread about it.

We just wanted to find out if any other geocacher out there is experiencing problems with Google Earth and the geocaching link that shows the caches in GE? We used to be able to see the caches when in Google Earth but for the last two weeks the caches disappeared and we don't know why? We've tried to search for this problem but without any luck/results. Please let us know?

It's been DISCONTINUED! Big fuss going on in the main forums (linky)

Apparently it caused too much server load. All number of suggestions are being made, but all to no avail.

Very sad.

Apparently it caused too much server load. All number of suggestions are being made, but all to no avail.

Very sad.

Please see the announcement on the general forum made a short while ago.....

Very sad.

Oh WOW!! That is seriously AWFUL news!! We read the threads and personally that map feature in Groundspeak stinks in comparison to the fast KML & Google Earth link. We personally think that the change has nothing to do with server speed or that only "200" users were making use of it (what a load of rubbish). We wish that they could've been honest about the real reason for stopping it and then having a proper alternative in place before switching off something that was working great (for all geocachers worldwide). Anyway, just so typical of Americans...they always think just past their own nose and have no regard for anyone else on the globe!

We made extensive use of the feature in GE very often, so now this has left a sour taste in our mouthes with regards to geocaching (as well as no other option available). We wish there was another alternative out there to give a bit of competition to Groundspeak.

Very sad.

Please see the announcement on the general forum made a short while ago.....

Thanks FE...we only saw your response now with the announcement (after we had posted our unhappy response). We are SO HAPPY that the feature will be coming back - even with its limitations! :(

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I don't experience problems with missing emails, but I've had some recently at my office where I only rarely do any GC stuff.

What's weird is that it never happens on my home computer (laptop, WinXP, Firefox), but happens about 50% of the time at the office (desktop, WinXP, Firefox) - huh?? :D

Not sure if FE is experiencing the same problem that was originally identified or the one that I often still experience which is that after you type your mesage and hit send it gives no confirmation but just gives you a blank template .

The fix for this is just to hit your back button and submit again. This has worked flawlessly for me the last couple of times. Firefox with linux is what I use.

Of course for a long message now I copy it first in case something happes, but hitting the back button brings back the message from where you just hit send again.