Backpack suggestion?

Not for backpacking so i think this is the correct forum.

Currently i carry a fisher price backpack for caching. I think it is actually made for attaching to the back of a car seat and then you can unzip it and get to all the compartments. We use it because it opens that way. One side is a regular backpack and the other side unzips all the way and has lots of pockets and zippers and such. I would like something with maybe more pockets. People probably wonder when they see me carrying a fisher Price back pack.

We like having our swag separated and organized for easy caching. Any suggestions?

As the designated ol' fat cripple in the group, I love back packs. They give me places to store all kind of eclectic stuff that is mostly cache related. Since I drink a lot of water, I got into the hydration packs, starting out by going the cheap route, bying them at Wally World for less than $20. I've since learned that you get what you pay for in most instances. After buying my 4th or 5th cheapo replacement, my wife bought me a CamelBak, and I've been grinning like an idiot ever since. They sell many variations, with all kinds of pocket arrangements. You'll spend some extra $$$ going with the namebrand, but it may just be the last backpack you ever buy. :)

Not for backpacking so i think this is the correct forum.

Currently i carry a fisher price backpack for caching. I think it is actually made for attaching to the back of a car seat and then you can unzip it and get to all the compartments. We use it because it opens that way. One side is a regular backpack and the other side unzips all the way and has lots of pockets and zippers and such. I would like something with maybe more pockets. People probably wonder when they see me carrying a fisher Price back pack.

We like having our swag separated and organized for easy caching. Any suggestions?

There was a Thread were people showed what and how they carried there Geo Stuff. Shouldn't be too hard to find. There have been post to it in the last couple of weeks. Have fun! I just posted to it so its close to the top. Title "My Geocaching Bag, A picture and a list".

Edited by BrrrMo

I use a Traverse bag from StatPacks as a geocaching pack. I can add it on to any gear system, and it's easy to just sling into the car when I'm doing drive-up caches.

For a backpack, I'm thinking about getting a Perfusion from StatPacks. Their bags are designed for military and EMS use, so they have a lot of dividers, shelves and pockets in them. With the perfusion, there are pockets on the sides and the top, and the main compartment has multiple little divided areas and pockets. Looks like it would do great attached to the back of a car seat. :)

if you have an army surplus store in your area take a look in there. I found a small, light hydration backpack for $45 with just the right size pockets for my caching and hiking needs. I especially like to have the waist and chest straps to lock it in place on my body.

Edited by KJcachers

I've been using a Large Camelbak and have dragged it through hell and back geocaching in the Northwest and a few deployments as well. I have had zero zipper issues and there or more than enough storage areas for various caching equipment, and I have found that every pocket in this thing fits exactly what I need for Geocaching. It has great back arch support in it, a large bladder, and is just plain tough as nuts. It ran me $150. But like mentioned before, you get what you pay for and I am positive that this bag will be around long enough for me to hand it down to my son when he gets older.

Hope this helps and happy caching!

Hard to suggest one without knowing how much you will be carrying, the types of uses (short treks in the county park, or day long hikes on rugged terrain, or something in between) and your sex/size.

What you really need to think about is what features you want. Do you want it to be hydration system compatible? Lots of pockets (you did mention that) or just a single compartment? Padded hip belt, unpadded hip belt or not hip belt? Lightweight frame, or no frame? Outside water bottle pockets? Pocket or clip for your car keys? MP3 player pocket? Outside "shovel pocket" (good for CITO and carrying wet raincoats). And whatever else you and think of.

There are many manufacturers who make quality packs. Jansport, Kelty, REI, North Face, Mountainsmith and LL Bean make some excellent low to moderately priced day packs. Gregory, Osprey, Deuter, GoLite, Arc'Teryx, Mountain Hardwear, Marmot, Granite Gear and Lowe Alpine make some outstanding packs at the higher end of the price spectrum.

After you considered the features you want, think about size. 900 - 1,200 cubic inches if you just want something for quick jaunts in small parks, simply to carry water, swag and maybe a sandwich.

1,200 - 2,000 cubic inches if you will be taking longer hikes of about a half day.

2,000 - 3,000 cubic inches if you will be hiking for a full day, doing winter hiking, or will be carrying most of the family's gear. Once you get over 3,000 ci you are getting out of day pack territory.

Like briansnat said it's difficult to recommend specifics without knowing the need requirements... I do know though that in backpacks quality is everything. I have lived in Guatemala for a few years and they sell ripoff backpacks in the markets for insanely cheap prices (affordable at that economic scale). I have bought probably 5 of these over the years and have noticed that every single one deteriorated incredibly fast with minimal use. I can't recommend highly enough getting a quality pack that will last you 20 years or more rather than one that will last you a few months. If you're patient, steepandcheap.com is a great source for super bargains on gear... install the popup notifier or subscribe to the RSS and you will be able to swoop down on that dream pack at a great price. I hate paying retail for anything so i love that site :rolleyes: Plus they have a forever, no questions, any reason return policy.

Anyway, quality over all any day :lol: Good luck! I love the relationship between backpack and owner... it's like car owner to trusted car :mad:

Below is a picture of what we currently carry. We don't usually go on long hikes when we cache. Our caches our usually less than 1 mile round trip. I wonder what people think when they see me carry a Fisher Price backpack!

It also has another standard backpack compartment.

REI has so many options. I don't know where to look to find one similar to this. I have never seen another backpack like this. Does it have a name?

backpackd.jpg