Tiffany Park Area. Has anyone else found bullets in a cache?

Terrible Ts

I found some red plastic tipped bullets in a couple of caches in the Renton (Tiffany Park) area today. They appear to be .22 caliber (guessing) brass cartridge with a copper bullet that has a red plastic tip. There appears to be an "H" stamped in the bottom of the cartridge. I found a picture that looks like the slug. They almost look like toys, but according to a friend they are real.

Any ideas on what I should do with them? I notified the cache owners, and I sent an email to the person(s) that found the cache just before I did to see if they were already there. I just heard back from them and as of 8:30 am there were not any bullets in either of the caches. I found them about 3:45 this afternoon.

The thing that really bothers me are one of the caches was designed for kids.

So a heads up for everyone, it appears that someone is leaving bullets in caches. If you know of anyone who has a cache in the Tiffany Park area of Renton, you may want to warn them and have them check there caches.

Terrible Ts

I found some red plastic tipped bullets in a couple of caches in the Renton (Tiffany Park) area today. They appear to be .22 caliber (guessing) brass cartridge with a copper bullet that has a red plastic tip. There appears to be an "H" stamped in the bottom of the cartridge. I found a picture that looks like the slug. They almost look like toys, but according to a friend they are real.

Any ideas on what I should do with them? I notified the cache owners, and I sent an email to the person(s) that found the cache just before I did to see if they were already there. I just heard back from them and as of 8:30 am there were not any bullets in either of the caches. I found them about 3:45 this afternoon.

So a heads up for everyone, it appears that someone is leaving bullets in caches. If you know of anyone who has a cache in the Tiffany Park area of Renton, you may want to warn them and have them check there caches.

Terrible Ts

If it is a necked down cartridge then I would guess it is a .222 or .223. I would imagine the local finest would take it off your hands for disposal.

Jim

Just a note. There is absolutely nothing wrong with leaving bullets in caches.

While your picture shows bullets your description sounds like a cartridge- unless they are separated. Please consider they may be inert. Eventually my kids and I will start leaving inert cartridges as others do.

If my kids found those in a cache they would eat them up and say thanks! We want more caches like this Dad!

ianfdaabi.jpg

Before you [anyone who reads this] jump all over my case bullets are the projectile. The cartridge is the entire item that gets loaded in a gun. Unless you are shooting a musket or muzzleloader, no one loads bullets in a gun. I mean you can, but it wouldn't do anything.

If you dont want them throw them out and forget about it.

I found a 22 hollow point on one of the GRM caches of Blindleaders near La Push. That was mid Feb.

As far as I can tell it is still live, in fact it is sitting on the desk next to me right now. I CITOed it. Not sure who would have put it there, but I see poor choices made all the time.

While your picture shows bullets your description sounds like a cartridge- unless they are separated. Please consider they may be inert. Eventually my kids and I will start leaving inert cartridges as others do.

If my kids found those in a cache they would eat them up and say thanks! We want more caches like this Dad!

ianfdaabi.jpg

Before you [anyone who reads this] jump all over my case bullets are the projectile. The cartridge is the entire item that gets loaded in a gun. Unless you are shooting a musket or muzzleloader, no one loads bullets in a gun. I mean you can, but it wouldn't do anything.

Sorry if my comments were not clear. They were live live cartridges. I didn't spend a lot of time looking for a picture of a complete cartridge. I just posted the first picture I found that looked like the bullets I found. I don't have a problem with slugs or empty cases in caches, just live ammo. With the red plastic tips, they almost looked like toys. You know the orange tips they put on the barrel of toy guns, but the more I looked at them and searched the internet, I was more and more sure they were live. I then took them over to a friend of mine whose is into shooting and he confirmed that they are live rounds.

I am planning to get rid of them. (They may go into my collection of weird stuff I have found in caches, not sure yet). I just wanted to let people know to keep an eye out for them.

Terrible Ts

ianfdaabi.jpg

Your arguing of semantics seems a bit out of place. I am sure that they are speaking of a slug and cartrige, there is probibly powder involved there somewhere. The average person calls that a bullet.

Is it just me or is leaving an inert cartrage (that, unless marked as such, looks just like a live round) sound like leaving a white powder in an envelope marked crack. Its not really dangerous but the lay person can't possible know.

edit: I am going to assume that is your daughter... Good shooting!

Edited by AndrewRJ
Your arguing of semantics seems a bit out of place. I am sure that they are speaking of a slug and cartrige, there is probibly powder involved there somewhere. The average person calls that a bullet.

Is it just me or is leaving an inert cartrage (that, unless marked as such, looks just like a live round) sound like leaving a white powder in an envelope marked crack. Its not really dangerous but the lay person can't possible know.

It is not semantics at all. The OP said bullet and then showed a picture of a bullet. So if we werent sure- then the question would be was it a bullet or a cartridge. Apples or oranges?

What "average people" call it is completely irrelevant. People say bullets because no one had ever taken the time to tell them. It is one thing to be ignorant. It is another to act ignorant when you are not.

It's just you. No one ever said anything about leaving an inert round without any indication that it is a bag of powder inert.

OP- just toss it. It wont hurt a thing and is legal. It's actually a cool thing to leave in a cache if people had sense. Unfortunately not everyone has sense and gun safety is not taught in schools. :) Because of these factors it can make it dangerous for the few that don't think, or don't know any better. My daughter keeps rounds that she finds from the range. I am always reminding her that she can't take them to school though! :)

edit: I am going to assume that is your daughter... Good shooting!

Yes it sure is. Thanks. She asked for her picture to be taken after she did that. Going to the range as a family is a great activity. If you shoot .22 its cheap! Just like caching- cheap fun together with the family. That's what matters- family.

It's actually a cool thing to leave in a cache if people had sense. Unfortunately not everyone has sense and gun safety is not taught in schools.

Fancy shooting by your daughter aside, no it is not a cool thing to leave in a cache, because the guidelines explicitly call out ammo as an example of things that do not belong in a cache.

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, fireworks, ammo, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache. As always respect the local laws. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages.

Terrible T's, topics like this have a tendency to stir up some pretty strong sentiments, so my advice would be to do as the guidelines suggest (use your common sense) if you find things like live rounds in a cache rather than soliciting opinions in the forums. Unless, of course, you enjoy having a stiff headwind to lean into.

Fancy shooting by your daughter aside, no it is not a cool thing to leave in a cache, because the guidelines explicitly call out ammo as an example of things that do not belong in a cache.

I don't think you understand what i said. It is an interesting thing to find and therefore would be a neat thing to leave. We weren't discussing the guidelines.

I am fully aware of the guidelines and I am not promoting leaving live ammo caches. If people were responsible and it was within guidelines than i think many people would find it interesting. It is not acceptable- but that doesn't change the fact that it would be a neat thing to leave.

Edited by Knight2000

I don't think you understand what i said. It is an interesting thing to find and therefore would be a neat thing to leave. We weren't discussing the guidelines.

I am fully aware of the guidelines and I am not promoting leaving live ammo caches. If people were responsible and it was within guidelines than i think many people would find it interesting. It is not acceptable- but that doesn't change the fact that it would be a neat thing to leave.

When we are discussing things left in caches, we ARE talking about the guidelines. What you wrote was a personal opinion, yes, it might be neat to leave something in a cache, except when it's forbidden. These guidelines were put in place because land managers are concerened about such things. While I think pocket knives are nice, I don't leave them in caches because they aren't allowed. Caches have been archived - and some parks closed to caching - because a knife was placed in a cache.

I found a couple of the same rounds in a Newcastle cache the other day, myself. I just removed them.

To those of you leaving ammo in caches, I would appreciate either a box of 9mm Luger (9x19mm) 115 gr FMJ or a box of 223 (5.56x45mm) 55 gr FMJ cartridges. I'm heading to the range next week. Just let me know which cache they're in. Thanks!

At the current prices and scarcity of ammo, it's actually quite a find :huh:

However, it is against the rules, so it shouldn't be there.

Now pardon me while I get back to my press to reload some more .45ACP :):)

Have been looking at this forum and it appears we have some of that "english language" introduced wich sparks controversy.

The "bullets" that were found were actually "cartridges", wether live or lot, we do not know as the "cartridges" may not have had powder in them.

A cartridge is a casing to wich a primer, powder and bullet are "installed" (unless a rimfire)

A bullet is "the projectile which is propelled from the cartridge upon the ignition of the powder"

The Rules are listed as AMMO and probably a more difinitive definition needs to be administered. In my mind, as an avid sportsman, outdoorsman, reloader, landmanager, and geocacher, that means LIVE ammunition. Primers ARE NOT allowed under the "explosives" clause, Empty casings and bullets ARE allowed by ruling BUT NOT IN MY PARKS OR CACHES.

As a cacher and a landmanager, I have to find middle ground on this subject. I do not allow any ammo parts or pieces within any cache within my jurisdiction and remove them from any cache that I find them in wether within my parks or not, to keep the peace. It's the simple thing to do to avoid conflict.

As far as your daughter in the picture, you tell her "YOU GO GIRL" from Ranger Smith

When we are discussing things left in caches, we ARE talking about the guidelines. What you wrote was a personal opinion, yes, it might be neat to leave something in a cache, except when it's forbidden. These guidelines were put in place because land managers are concerened about such things. While I think pocket knives are nice, I don't leave them in caches because they aren't allowed. Caches have been archived - and some parks closed to caching - because a knife was placed in a cache.

I found a couple of the same rounds in a Newcastle cache the other day, myself. I just removed them.

Again, what i said is it would be a neat thing to leave- just as a pocket know would. I never suggested someone leaving it, just as you never suggested someone leaving a pocket knife.

Would does not equal should.

Now pardon me while I get back to my press to reload some more .45ACP :DB)

My daughter loves to reload with me. She has a Lee cheapie of her own on the way. Shhh- she doesn't know yet.

I am thinking i will have her get some range brass then tumble and reload except i will leave the original primer. Bag em with a note and leave em in caches.

I am hoping to get started with casting. My daughter is really interested in harvesting the berm. I have the hardware cloth and buckets. We haven't went yet. When she saw what you could do (melting) with those bullets that she likes to collect, she was hooked.

As far as your daughter in the picture, you tell her "YOU GO GIRL" from Ranger Smith

I'll tell her. I just love that it is something that we can do together as a family.

She said she wanted to go deer hunting. (While i do have a hunting license, i have never had anyone to take me or teach me hunting.) Anyway- she decided she wanted to go deer hunting, which i don't really have a desire to do. I thought- yeah right. My neighbor was butchering his latest harvest and my daughter wanted to go watch. Plastic, blood, guts, parts, hatchet, etc. I thought she would freak out! Yeah right. She pulled up a chair and asked if she could stay and watch. :D She has went over again on her own to hang out and watch. Funny girl... :laughing:

She said she wanted to go deer hunting. (While i do have a hunting license, i have never had anyone to take me or teach me hunting.) Anyway- she decided she wanted to go deer hunting, which i don't really have a desire to do. I thought- yeah right. My neighbor was butchering his latest harvest and my daughter wanted to go watch. Plastic, blood, guts, parts, hatchet, etc. I thought she would freak out! Yeah right. She pulled up a chair and asked if she could stay and watch. :laughing: She has went over again on her own to hang out and watch. Funny girl... :laughing:

We have been finding some Remington .17 in caches also. Seems to me like it they be better applied to a rock chuck somewhere. Can't be cheap either. Yes, we take all the ammo out we find. Even the spent casings. I used to have a 5 gallon bucket of empty brass here until I gave it to a buddy of mine who reloads.

Our daughters grew up with cutting and wrapping Deer and Elk on the kitchen table. No big deal to them. Yes, they have even helped dress them out in the woods as well. They don't hunt but I keep getting the "Do you have any Deer or Elk meat we can have?" calls during season.

I hope she stays involved in it and continues to enjoy the experiences.

Logscaler and Red

I understand your reason for concern, but these (bullets) you found, are completely harmless. I've found all sorts of rounds in caches in every state I've cached in. If you don't want them then toss them out. I promise, they won't just up and explode on you.

... Just Don't throw them into a FIRE!

The Steaks

It's not just bullets, check the local caches for vile racist stickers stuck on the insides of caches, they start with "WARNING". Also check for a web address of a new-nazi group (nsm) written in the log book. I have found a combination of all three in about 8 caches in the Kent-Renton area in the last weeks. You might want to check your Hobo No. 1 cache. The bullets look like a hot .22 long rifle hollow point. Narrower than a .22 mini-mag hollow. I saw one of the stickers a couple weeks ago in a Paperboy1958 cache by a duck pond somewhere near Hazen High School and didn't pay much attention to it. Then someone mentioned their cache was defaced with a sticker and I found one at Community Micro and 3-4 since. I did maintenance on Stepping Up Through Time and found a racist sticker, 3 bullets, and the neo-nazi web address. I cleaned it up. I'm sure there are probably more of these things in cache in the Lake Youngs and Lake Desire/Cedar Mountain areas.

Terrible Ts

It's not just bullets, check the local caches for vile racist stickers stuck on the insides of caches, they start with "WARNING". Also check for a web address of a new-nazi group (nsm) written in the log book. I have found a combination of all three in about 8 caches in the Kent-Renton area in the last weeks. You might want to check your Hobo No. 1 cache. The bullets look like a hot .22 long rifle hollow point. Narrower than a .22 mini-mag hollow. I saw one of the stickers a couple weeks ago in a Paperboy1958 cache by a duck pond somewhere near Hazen High School and didn't pay much attention to it. Then someone mentioned their cache was defaced with a sticker and I found one at Community Micro and 3-4 since. I did maintenance on Stepping Up Through Time and found a racist sticker, 3 bullets, and the neo-nazi web address. I cleaned it up. I'm sure there are probably more of these things in cache in the Lake Youngs and Lake Desire/Cedar Mountain areas.

:)

Hmm, that concerns me. I hope there aren't any in my caches, and I don't have the opportunity to check them. :lol:

Hmm, that concerns me. I hope there aren't any in my caches, and I don't have the opportunity to check them. :lol:

The individual-in-question's account has been banned; will be interesting to see if they get reinstated or create a new one. They have 125 finds on the existing account.

This person visited some of my caches a few weeks ago, and left the racist stickers and web address, as well as defacing at least one logbook cover with Nazi graffiti. No bullets, though. I was quite concerned, as this is a family activity and open to all, so I checked all my caches that this person logged, and removed offensive stuff. After some hesitation, I emailed them with my concerns, and they responded politely, claiming to be new and not realizing the inappropriateness (although apparently they didn't stop). The Jester, WellJointed, and I have conferred about this individual, as we've all seen the evidence and it's clear who did it, but with their account now banned, we hope this will blow over.

They also claimed finds on caches they didn't find - no signature, and they either admitted not finding it in their online log (sometimes claiming it must be missing), or said "tough" or something similarly vague (and when I checked, they hadn't found it). They had 5 false finds on my caches, as well as the legit ones.

Edited by hydnsek

.... I would imagine the local finest would take it off your hands for disposal. ...

I've done this. They will take them and give you a funny look but they will take them.

I used to worry more about this until I took a shooting class where we shot at the police range. I asked about all the live rounds we were walking on. Nobody in charge seemed to care.

If I find live rounds in a cache I just take them. If I find live rounds at a shooting range, or even in random spots (amazing where you can find them) I do the same.

...Is it just me or is leaving an inert cartrage (that, unless marked as such, looks just like a live round) sound like leaving a white powder in an envelope marked crack. Its not really dangerous but the lay person can't possible know....

It's all in the context. If I put an inert hand grenade on my shelf in my office, everone would pick it up and assume (correctly) that it's a "blank". If I took that same item through security in an airport I'd be in all kinds of trouble.

If I found the drilled out 50 Caliber's you can find at any surplus store in a cache, I would not mistake it for anything but an inert cartridge. Others with zero experience may not understand that the holes in the brass indicate the cartridge is inert. A cache has us all finding it. Those who know and those who don't, and non cachers as well.

Land managers would tend to play it safe (see the post from one above) and not want anything that could be misconstrued as something it's not.

Edited by Renegade Knight

:D

Hmm, that concerns me. I hope there aren't any in my caches, and I don't have the opportunity to check them. :D

It would be a good idea to check your easy caches on Soos Creek Trail and Maple Valley Hwy.

I had also noticed the apparent connection between the caches with bullets, and the cacher with racist jokes on his profile page.

I am far more concerned with the racist nature of his web page than with the bullets. People do leave things in caches that need to be removed. My experience is, most of the time you find a pocket knife, lighter or even bullets, and you contact the party that left them, they will usually admit they weren't really aware you couldn't leave that.

I suspect contacting a person who would leave racist stickers in a cache, would do no good at all.

It has been bothering me, wondering what if anything I should do about reporting the guy's web page. However, if I had saw the stickers, I would have contacted TPTB in an instant. There is no room in this game for that kind of junk.

I will be watching my caches to assure this guy doesn't do this to mine, even though he is banned.

It would be a good idea to check your easy caches on Soos Creek Trail and Maple Valley Hwy.

It would also be a good idea to watch for this in caches you seek and find. If you see it in a cache, send an E-mail to the owner, so they can take care of it.

Edited to say, if you find anything racist in one of my caches, and you can remove it please do so. If you can't remove it (sticker or log note) feel free to cover it with a marker pen or whatever, then let me know.

Edited by uxorious

:D

Hmm, that concerns me. I hope there aren't any in my caches, and I don't have the opportunity to check them. :D

Ditto for those on Cougar Mtn and around Newcastle / Renton. That's where he hit mine.

And agree with uxorious - I was more concerned with removing the racist stuff (stickers, graffiti, and obliterating the racist website in his log sigs) than bullets. When I had to go out of town right after discovering this in some of my caches, Jester kindly checked some others to ensure it was dealt with ASAP.

Sounds like a .17 Mach 2 round to me.

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=145

It really doesn't pose a risk of discharging, but its clearly stated in the GC rules to not put live ammo in caches.

Sounds like a .17 Mach 2 round to me.

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=145

It really doesn't pose a risk of discharging, but its clearly stated in the GC rules to not put live ammo in caches.

Finding and keeping unspent rounds from the range is not the best of ideas as you never know if they may or may not go off. It'd be like reloading and trying to fire a round that didn't go off the first time that the firing pin hit it.

This is silly, if there is something bad in a cache just dispose of it, no reason to freak out and complain. Why shed a negative light? If this is the case you really won't like our caches we are gonna start planting soon, They are each gonna have a live Badger inside...

But then again we are fairly new to the whole scene

Edited by Cache us, if you can

This is silly, if there is something bad in a cache just dispose of it, no reason to freak out and complain. Why shed a negative light? If this is the case you really won't like our caches we are gonna start planting soon, They are each gonna have a live Badger inside...

Hmmm, seems to me you should be placing ducks and beavers in your caches. Badgers are so Wisconsin.

badger.gifbadger.gifbadger.gifbadger.gifbadger.gifbadger.gifbadger.gifbadger.gif

badger.gifbadger.gifbadger.gifbadger.gifbadger.gifbadger.gifbadger.gifbadger.gif

LOL, I love you guys!

I just found a live bullet, a loaded shotgun shell and a cigarette in one of my caches. I remembered seeing a thread about such. This cache container is a plastic peanut butter jar, it is not a safe container for storing such things. My cache had moved from its hiding spot and was in plain sight on the side of a trail. A group of 17 kids( who were with two adults on quads) walked right past my cache today. Several people have signed the cache logbook but have not logged the cache online. One of the finders did not know it was a geocache because they were not geocachers. They wrote in the log that they decided it was a container for storing used shotgun shells. Then they discovered geocaching and went back signed the cache logbook.

Edited by luckykoi

The individual-in-question's account has been banned; will be interesting to see if they get reinstated or create a new one. They have 125 finds on the existing account.

This person visited some of my caches a few weeks ago, and left the racist stickers and web address, as well as defacing at least one logbook cover with Nazi graffiti. No bullets, though. I was quite concerned, as this is a family activity and open to all, so I checked all my caches that this person logged, and removed offensive stuff. After some hesitation, I emailed them with my concerns, and they responded politely, claiming to be new and not realizing the inappropriateness (although apparently they didn't stop). The Jester, WellJointed, and I have conferred about this individual, as we've all seen the evidence and it's clear who did it, but with their account now banned, we hope this will blow over.

They also claimed finds on caches they didn't find - no signature, and they either admitted not finding it in their online log (sometimes claiming it must be missing), or said "tough" or something similarly vague (and when I checked, they hadn't found it). They had 5 false finds on my caches, as well as the legit ones.

And now they are back, with a new hide on Tiger Mtn.

With the same racial garbage in the cache. And one online log for a cache that doesn't contain their sig (I just hiked the area, South Tiger, today - now I'm the walking wounded after a minor slip on rock with hip, elbow and wrist injuried).

With the same racial garbage in the cache. And one online log for a cache that doesn't contain their sig (I just hiked the area, South Tiger, today - now I'm the walking wounded after a minor slip on rock with hip, elbow and wrist injuried).

I'd recommend emailing Rock Rabbit. I emailed him yesterday and he said it was a temporary ban provided that the user stays on good behavior. Given that the user is back to his old habits again, it may become a permanent ban.