Please Help a New Guy with ?'s!

PFCJS

Hello all...I have been wanting to get into geocaching and have looked through as many threads as my ADD will let me and I still have some questions! I have a Nuvi 750 but understand this is probably not the best unit for geocaching so what should I do or purchase? I do not want to spend a lot of money but want to be able to find some geocaches when I go out! I used the gpsinformation link on here but didn't get too much help off of it...so my question too all of you wonderful, educated people is:

Where do I start with purchasing a GPS? Which model should I start with?

Thanks a great deal in advance...

C. J.

I vote for the Garmin eTrex. The little yellow can be purchased for around $100 and is quite durable (more so than, say, a Garmin Gecko, which is close to the same price). After a few hundred finds, I upgraded to the eTrex Legend (the blue eTrex) beacuse one can download maps into it. That little yellow with nothing but a poitner and a distance got me into some jams sometimes!

I didn't take the time to look where you are located, but you might try your local geocaching group's website forum for deals. We have a special forum for the buy/sell/trading of used caching gear and GPSr's. Might be a local cacher just upgraded and is willing to sell you his/her GPS for a discount. BONUS: it might still have some geocache waypoints uploaded! :)

I vote for the Garmin eTrex. The little yellow can be purchased for around $100 and is quite durable (more so than, say, a Garmin Gecko, which is close to the same price). After a few hundred finds, I upgraded to the eTrex Legend (the blue eTrex) beacuse one can download maps into it. That little yellow with nothing but a poitner and a distance got me into some jams sometimes!

I didn't take the time to look where you are located, but you might try your local geocaching group's website forum for deals. We have a special forum for the buy/sell/trading of used caching gear and GPSr's. Might be a local cacher just upgraded and is willing to sell you his/her GPS for a discount. BONUS: it might still have some geocache waypoints uploaded! :)

Check HeadHardHat's YouTube snippets. Mightbe of some help.

thank you all for your help...I just purchased a Garmin Oregon 200 because I got it half price at a local outdoor store that is going out of business...my question now is...

Should I try and get started geocaching with the Oregon (i can sell it to a buddy that really wants it and has no current GPS at all and save him money) or should I try and learn how to use my Nuvi to geocache?

I have attempted to read through the post that describes how to use your nuvi for geocaching and downloading a bunch of stuff to make it more usuable but I get lost in the steps very easily. I think my ADD kicked in! Please help!

thank you all for your help...I just purchased a Garmin Oregon 200 because I got it half price at a local outdoor store that is going out of business...my question now is...

Should I try and get started geocaching with the Oregon (i can sell it to a buddy that really wants it and has no current GPS at all and save him money) or should I try and learn how to use my Nuvi to geocache?

I have attempted to read through the post that describes how to use your nuvi for geocaching and downloading a bunch of stuff to make it more usuable but I get lost in the steps very easily. I think my ADD kicked in! Please help!

Use the Oregon 200. I have one.

To get the most out of this unit you need to become a Premium member for just $30 per year. Then learn to use Pocket Queries - here is a fine and easy tutorial: http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm - a PQ allows you to get up to 500 cache listing details of caches you choose in an area or along a route.

Once you get the file in your email from a Pocket Query - unzip it and place it in the [drive:]\garmin\gpx folder on the Oregon while it is connected to your PC. No software needed - no macros - no GSAK.

As a premium member you can also download individual GPX files from any listing page to the same folder on the Oregon.

Then off you go. Have fun!!

nice...i'll definitely look into that StarBrand...thanks for all the good info. that is a nice little bit of handy information, and i like how easy it all sounds specially since i'm not sure what macros or GSAK is! thanks again though!