Garmin GPS 12 Personal Navigator

Geo-spy

Hi,

After spending time with an avid geo cacher I am interested in buying my own GPS. I have found this model Garmin GPS 12 Personal Navigator online second hand. It is a discontinued line. As I am just starting out I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on this model. Would it be suitable for geo caching?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Geo - spy

If you can get a newer unit you probably should. While it will work, it will not hold a good lock on the satellites, and it will not measure under .01 miles, (might be able to get a bit closer in metric)

A newer unit will hold satellite lock very reliably, and will bring you down to feet on the readout. While around 30ft radius accuracy is considered the norm in Geocaching, a newer unit will do better than that most of the time, where a Garmin 12 is going to do worse than that all the time, guaranteed.

Red90 and Airmapper have brought up good points about value for your money. In addition the GPS12 requires 4 AA batteries while most newer units use only 2. It also only allows 6 character waypoint names which is inconvenient for geocaching.

The GPS12 was my first GPS and while I have a soft spot for that model it is older technology.