What kind of things can you leave in a cache?

3isamagic#

Hi

I am a newbie, but am hooked all the way. I have a couple of questions about what I can leave in a cache. I know...no fireworks or food and all that common sense stuff, but what about advertising stuff? Can I order a bunch of personalized pens and leave them? I noticed a business card in a cache, but I was thinking about something people would want like pens or balloons or whatever. When I get brave enough to make my own cache, I want a theme. Can I advertise something? Hmmm...I think I am being too PC. I work for a foreign exchange student company and would love to leave (or create a cache theme) things that would promote exchange students. Would it be ok to have pens made up? Also, has anyone seen adoption geocoins?? They have to be out there somewhere....I saw albino lobsters from northeastern Maine...so adoption awaremess must be out there....how do I find them to start it going??

Thank you!

You can put anything inside caches as far as advertising stuff goes. I know several cachers who have pens and keychains made with their caching name on them.

The cache on the other hand cannot have an agenda no matter how good. That would mean that your cache to promote exchange students would not be allowed.

That being said if you create a plain cache and stuff it full of knick knacks from the student exchange company that would be acceptable.

Sig items stateing your name/ town/ geocache name/ cords/ etc.. I think are fine, but if I find any business cards of leflets premoting a commercial or charitable intrest, for example the local curry house or the RSPCA (Royal Society for the Protection of Animals) I remove during maintenance visits.

I like to keep my caches compleatly agenda free - one reason I like geocacheing.

Edit: TB's and Geocoins are allways welcome in my caches, and the odd 'visit britain' pen or 'Microship' keyring is fine also.

Edited by Hampshire_Hog

You can put anything inside caches as far as advertising stuff goes. I know several cachers who have pens and keychains made with their caching name on them.

The cache on the other hand cannot have an agenda no matter how good. That would mean that your cache to promote exchange students would not be allowed.

That being said if you create a plain cache and stuff it full of knick knacks from the student exchange company that would be acceptable.

But some of my favorite caches have an agenda (breast cancer awareness in the parking lot of a cancer specialty office, Coffee hints outside a shop, Dont' get busted outside a police station etc) Why can't they have an agenda? Or maybe a theme? Like, leave something from another country? Bring your exchange student with you, send this travel bug home to it's native country...etc?

Edited by 3isamagic#

But some of my favorite caches have an agenda (breast cancer awareness in the parking lot of a cancer specialty office, Coffee hints outside a shop, Dont' get busted outside a police station etc) Why can't they have an agenda? Or maybe a theme? Like, leave something from another country? Bring your exchange student with you, send this travel bug home to it's native country...etc?

Maybe you should say it this way. Caches “shouldn’t” have to have an agenda. Many reviewers won't publish a cache with an agenda even if it is a good one. There are always caches that slip through.

StaticTank

Maybe you should say it this way. Caches “shouldn’t” have to have an agenda. Many reviewers won't publish a cache with an agenda even if it is a good one. There are always caches that slip through.

StaticTank

"Many reviewers won't publish a cache with an agenda...."

What reviewers?

What publishing?

Geocash.com?

Sig items stateing your name/ town/ geocache name/ cords/ etc.. I think are fine, but if I find any business cards of leflets premoting a commercial or charitable intrest, for example the local curry house or the RSPCA (Royal Society for the Protection of Animals) I remove during maintenance visits.

I like to keep my caches compleatly agenda free - one reason I like geocacheing.

Edit: TB's and Geocoins are allways welcome in my caches, and the odd 'visit britain' pen or 'Microship' keyring is fine also.

I completely second your statement about agenda free geocaching. It's comforting knowing that cachers of all backgrounds, religions, political preferences can come together and cache and meet & greet without their demographics coming into play.

Sorry 'bout going off topic here. Now back to our program currently in progress

Noobe here to, but heres my view anyways:

From what I've read in the rules a cache can't have a commercial advertising effect or be pushing an agenda. For instance, you can't put a cache in the parking lot of a NRA Headquarters, with a note inside that says you must go inside the NRA building and talk to someone.

On the other hand, there isn't any reason you couldn't have a cache in the NRA parking lot that didn't involve anything but signing the log book, and trading an item.

Also (something that seems acceptable to me) would be to have a cache at a great view point in the woods, and stock it with items that say NRA on them. This would be no different than using NRA items to trade with in any other cache.

This is only my opinion, and I'm sure a Mod will jump in here and correct me on my details if I'm off based.

-Jesse

Who reviews and publishes? Come on...don't keep me waiting...is there even more to this new hobby?? Where does it end???

When you create a brand new geocache you have to fill in all the details on the form here. At the bottom of that page is a button which says "Report new listing". When you press that all the details of your new cache fly of to your local volunteer reviewer to be checked through, to see that your cache meets all the guidelines for being listed on the geocaching.com site. Once your reviewer is happy about all the details it'll get published and will appear on-line as a brand new cache, all ready for folks to go and hunt it down.

To find out who is your local reviewer have a look at a few of the caches recently published in your area - Look at the very first log on the cache - It should have a blue blob (some would say turquoise), the name of the reviewer and the word "Published".

As for what you can put into your cache for swaps/swag - As long as you follow the "cache contents" guidelines halfway down this page you'll be fine. The cache listing itself must not have any agenda but the goodies that get placed in the cache as swaps often have agendas. The cache owner can remove any that they feel are unsuitable, those that visit your cache may 'swap out' items if they, personally, dislike them.

MrsB