Mt. Adams anyone?

Love

I am out for this year, if rescheduled for next year I would hope to make it.

Ditto. I would really love to do this climb in August, Love, but alas, I have to bow out for health reasons. However, I hope to be back in trim next year, so if it gets pushed to 2010, count me in!

(Remember GW8 is July 3, 2010, so try to schedule the climb after mid-July, so it doesn't conflict with GW8 activities and post-event collapse. :( )

Ditto. Car repairs killed me this time. I can't even afford a vacation trip this year.

Ditto. Annie already knows this, but I can't make this year's date because my wife's 20th high school reunion ended up falling on that weekend.

As soon as I say I'm in everyone changes their mind :blink: Well I'm still interested, maybe I will go it alone. It sounds like you're never actually alone up there in the summer anyway. Last weekend I did 15 miles RT with 3,600 feet elevation gain but I need to do a lot more training. Adams will be a real challenge.

Edited by luckykoi

Luckykoi, I do not suggest Adams as a Solo!

Your current elevation gain is not good to be honest!

If you happen to be doing 3200-3800 in a couple miles daily and you have been doing this activity for numerous years, maybe just maybe.

True it is one step in front of the other, the Rest Step is truly wonderful.

But think before doing something like this Solo as if you are injured or fall, that group in front may not see you. Be Safe and wait until a group can go.

Please remember this is just some friendly advise....

I'll be in your neck of the wood this weekend for a Dog Show and hope to hit a few caches. I wonder if I can hit your first?

Since I wanted as many geocachers as possible to be able to come on this adventure, I will be putting it off until next year. This means we can get an early start on scheduling and find a good weekend for as many as possible to come! Plus, training can start a little earlier (I have been slacking off on training). So anyway, keep this in mind for next year! :o

Since I wanted as many geocachers as possible to be able to come on this adventure, I will be putting it off until next year. This means we can get an early start on scheduling and find a good weekend for as many as possible to come! Plus, training can start a little earlier (I have been slacking off on training). So anyway, keep this in mind for next year! :(

Cool. I really wanted to make this. I'm looking forward to the resurrection of this hike.

Since I wanted as many geocachers as possible to be able to come on this adventure, I will be putting it off until next year. This means we can get an early start on scheduling and find a good weekend for as many as possible to come! Plus, training can start a little earlier (I have been slacking off on training). So anyway, keep this in mind for next year! :(

Cool. I really wanted to make this. I'm looking forward to the resurrection of this hike.

Ditto! Thanks, Love, look forward to going next summer!

Luckykoi, I do not suggest Adams as a Solo!

Your current elevation gain is not good to be honest!

If you happen to be doing 3200-3800 in a couple miles daily and you have been doing this activity for numerous years, maybe just maybe.

True it is one step in front of the other, the Rest Step is truly wonderful.

But think before doing something like this Solo as if you are injured or fall, that group in front may not see you. Be Safe and wait until a group can go.

Please remember this is just some friendly advise....

I'll be in your neck of the wood this weekend for a Dog Show and hope to hit a few caches. I wonder if I can hit your first?

I just now saw your post; congratulations on finding so many of my caches over the weekend.

I was out hiking from Heart o' the Hills up to Hurricane ridge. That was about 5000 feet elevation gain with all the ups and downs. I was planning on hiking up to camp Muir as training before attempting Adams. I went up to Camp Muir a couple of years ago and have been wanting to go up Adams ever since. I don't know if I'll be in shape for Adams I've not been up that high before. 11,031 on Deseret Peak in Utah is the highest I have ever been. I normally start getting headachy at about 9,000 feet so it would be good for me to do some training at altitude. Hopefully I can find some one here or on North West hikers net to join me.

I try to stay in shape by hiking year round but some years it is easier then others. I know that if I put this off for a year there is a good chance I will never do it. Life can change in the blink of an eye.

Edited by luckykoi

I am out for this year, if rescheduled for next year I would hope to make it.

Ditto. I would really love to do this climb in August, Love, but alas, I have to bow out for health reasons. However, I hope to be back in trim next year, so if it gets pushed to 2010, count me in!

(Remember GW8 is July 3, 2010, so try to schedule the climb after mid-July, so it doesn't conflict with GW8 activities and post-event collapse. :( )

Ditto. Car repairs killed me this time. I can't even afford a vacation trip this year.

Ditto. Annie already knows this, but I can't make this year's date because my wife's 20th high school reunion ended up falling on that weekend.

For some reason my Jeep has been very reliable. My Jeep now has over 178,000 miles on it. I think it had 160,000 or more when I got it. We only drive it 3 times a month because it is a bit of a gas hog.

My Ford Aerostar was always breaking down and ending family vacations. The Ford Exploder (called that because the tranny explodes) uses the same tranny and a lot of the same parts as the Aerostar. I'll never again replace a tranny or an engine in a vehicle. I can get a whole car for less then the cost of replacing those parts. The best thing I ever did car wise was to leave my Aerostar (with it's new but failing tranny) in a wrecking yard.

Anyway, it looks like a few of us might be doing Adams the first week of August, I'll leave it to someone else to post the details. Thanks to Annie for starting this topic.

Edited by luckykoi

For some reason my Jeep has been very reliable. My Jeep now has over 178,000 miles on it. I think it had 160,000 or more when I got it. We only drive it 3 times a month because it is a bit of a gas hog.

My Ford Aerostar was always breaking down and ending family vacations. The Ford Exploder (called that because the tranny explodes) uses the same tranny and a lot of the same parts as the Aerostar. I'll never again replace a tranny or an engine in a vehicle. I can get a whole car for less then the cost of replacing those parts. The best thing I ever did car wise was to leave my Aerostar (with it's new but failing tranny) in a wrecking yard.

Anyway, it looks like a few of us might be doing Adams the first week of August, I'll leave it to someone else to post the details. Thanks to Annie for starting this topic.

With a few exceptions over the past 90K miles, my Jeep has been very reliable. Unfortunately, it has over 200K on it now so that means everything is starting to fall to pieces and just simply wear out, and I beat mine up for the 90K I owned it.

It looks like I will be planning a summit push to Mount Adams on Sunday, August 2nd. Anyone wanting to join is welcome, please e-mail me if you are. Tentatively we will be driving to the base friday afternoon and camping there friday night. Saturday we will get an early start and hike up and camp around 9000' to get acclimated for those not conditioned for altitude. Sunday Early early morn (3am) we will start the summit push and plan to summit just after sunrise. We should be getting back to our cars by 11a-12p.

anyone game??

I'm heading up to Mt. Adams this weekend. We are planning on leaving Portland Friday to setup base camp at the trail head. We'll summit Saturday or Sunday morning, deciding once we get there. Also it's possible we will sleep at Lunch Counter to enjoy the sunrise.

Anyone care to join us on August 14th or 15th?

-Joe

I was planning on going this weekend, but the weather looks prety bad. Rain and snow called for thru the weekend....

I'm heading up to Mt. Adams this weekend. We are planning on leaving Portland Friday to setup base camp at the trail head. We'll summit Saturday or Sunday morning, deciding once we get there. Also it's possible we will sleep at Lunch Counter to enjoy the sunrise.

-Joe

-Joe

I'm going we a few portland area cachers.

Okay, well I better post something sooner than later :)

We arrived Friday night, around 4pm at the ranger station. We obtained the proper climbing permit and blue bags (everyone know what those are right?). We drove to the campground at the South Spur trail head by 5pm. The road up is narrow, rocky and dusty. However, I didn't have any problem in my low rider car.

We decided to do the hike in 1 day, getting up at 2:30 and starting by 3am the next day. Headlamps, and gear, we started up the trail 3:10am. Amazing view of the stars, by 5am it was begining to get light out. We were 4 climbing, Luckykoi and I a bit slower lost the trail in the night and ended up climbing some rocks to get back on trail. We meet up with the other 2 at the first snow bank. Crampons were not necessary, but I really enjoyed using them. (treking poles are necessary).

About 10,500 it really started to hurt, we were stopping every shot distance to catch our breath. I could feel that not trainning at elevation was hurting me now. I kept drinking water and we were all fine. We made it to the summit at 11am and met a ton of cool people along the way. The views were awesome. Walking over to the geocache at the summit, I was too cold to care about finding it. My GPS was low on batteries (I think it was just the cold) and couldn't find it after looking for about a minute. We retreated back to the shack where there was no wind and warmed in the sun.

The 5 hours of descent couldn't finish quick enough for me. I used my second pair of socks because my glissading techniques my boots were soaked. (Gortex what?). We finished before 5pm that evening and my body was exhausted! Nothing in particular was sore, but I was TIRED! I slept well that night!

I would recommend camping about 7,500 ft (before lunch counter) I'm not thrilled about carrying a tent over 300 ft elevation gain. Do the rest of the hike the following day with an option to stay a second night. The stars are amazing, and was a great time! Bring lots of socks and treking poles, you'll have a great time!

You can take a look at our pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/joebiker/2009_...feat=directlink

Good luck, and always be safe!

-Joe

Okay, well I better post something sooner than later :unsure:

We arrived Friday night, around 4pm at the ranger station. We obtained the proper climbing permit and blue bags (everyone know what those are right?). We drove to the campground at the South Spur trail head by 5pm. The road up is narrow, rocky and dusty. However, I didn't have any problem in my low rider car.

We decided to do the hike in 1 day, getting up at 2:30 and starting by 3am the next day. Headlamps, and gear, we started up the trail 3:10am. Amazing view of the stars, by 5am it was begining to get light out. We were 4 climbing, Luckykoi and I a bit slower lost the trail in the night and ended up climbing some rocks to get back on trail. We meet up with the other 2 at the first snow bank. Crampons were not necessary, but I really enjoyed using them. (treking poles are necessary).

About 10,500 it really started to hurt, we were stopping every shot distance to catch our breath. I could feel that not trainning at elevation was hurting me now. I kept drinking water and we were all fine. We made it to the summit at 11am and met a ton of cool people along the way. The views were awesome. Walking over to the geocache at the summit, I was too cold to care about finding it. My GPS was low on batteries (I think it was just the cold) and couldn't find it after looking for about a minute. We retreated back to the shack where there was no wind and warmed in the sun.

The 5 hours of descent couldn't finish quick enough for me. I used my second pair of socks because my glissading techniques my boots were soaked. (Gortex what?). We finished before 5pm that evening and my body was exhausted! Nothing in particular was sore, but I was TIRED! I slept well that night!

I would recommend camping about 7,500 ft (before lunch counter) I'm not thrilled about carrying a tent over 300 ft elevation gain. Do the rest of the hike the following day with an option to stay a second night. The stars are amazing, and was a great time! Bring lots of socks and treking poles, you'll have a great time!

You can take a look at our pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/joebiker/2009_...feat=directlink

Good luck, and always be safe!

-Joe

Thanks Joe! My non geocaching trip report is at http://mosswalks.blogspot.com

a%20snow%20and%20cloud%20on%20the%20summit.JPG

Going up was hard for me but the trip down was easy once we were off the snow and ice.

Edited by luckykoi

3871480598_e9b4523631.jpg

I headed up Adams yesterday myself. What an adventure. Left camp at 4:05am by headlamp and arrived at the summit at 10:30am.

3871472672_0c31d82e5f.jpg

If I had anything I could change, I would go up much earlier in the summer and use the snow to my advantage as a sturdy surface for climbing and more importantly as a way to glissade down. As it was, the snowfields were mostly melted out and what was left was sheets of ice and rock.

3871475934_cba649b02b.jpg

Along the way we faced snow, hail, wind, fog, sunshine and just about every other weather imaginable.

3870699845_cde0fbd646.jpg

Coming down was much more difficult to me than going up, as we picked our way down endless loose boulder fields. We finally stepped back into camp 11 hrs and 20 min. after we had departed.

3870701623_a3b9bd00a0.jpg

This was an amazing challenge and I'm glad we were able to get these caches done. What a great part of the country we live in to have places like this to visit and adventures like this to be found right on our doorsteps.

More pics to be seen here.

Edited by Blue Power Ranger